Through Bad Things

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

olderisgood62

(5:10) Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.*
(5:11) Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.*

This morning my mind is on the things we face in this life. As I look at people's lives around me I see many dealing with many different things. Many of them being driven into the pit of despair by those things. We are all surrounded by people facing times like those. My heart goes out to them. I know what many of them are feeling like. That feeling of crying out "Lord why are you doing this to me?"
As I witness people facing these things I cannot help but look at my own examples I have faced. Looking back at those things i could say "Lord why were you so mean to me?" I have had more than my fair share of difficulties in my life. Some that having witnessed others going through the same type of things they rejected the truth that God does not allow these things to give us an excuse to say"If God is a being who will do this to me, I don't want anything to do with God".*
My next statement could be seen as unsympathetic. Come on people, those things are not designed to give us the excuse to live our lives the way we want. An excuse to ignore God and wallow deeper into a worldly way of thinking. And yet in our weak human minds that is what we do. "Been there, done that"
I have been so blessed by God. God has given me experiences that as terrible as they may seem to our human minds. When looking at them close enough I am struck with a sense of awe. And when in that state of awe the only comment that can describe those events is. "Wow, God that was an amazing experience."
I did not always see it this way. I am typical, I wallowed in self pity for a long time. Constantly asking myself why my life was so miserable. Why do all these things happen to me. Sadly even in that state, I could have acknowledged that God was in control. But I foolishly ignored that fact. Because as I "made it through" each of those things I chalked it up to a simple worldly mindset. A world that will acknowledge that there is a God. But not the God of love grace and mercy that we should serve. So in that worldly state of mind as I emerged from those things, I casually wrote it off as "I live a charmed life, my guardian angel works overtime".To my shame, I belittled God, His power and complete control.*
I did not come to an instant understanding of this. I do not know for sure when the realization of Gods loving control over the events in my life started to settle on me. But I know that as I continued to go through those things, each time I was more aware that it went way beyond *a "guardian angel". I know now that each one of those events were under His control to teach me the things I would need to understand for the next step in my journey through life's lessons.*
Any one facing those lessons in life I know it is not easy. I have lived in a home that was really not a Christian environment. I have been ridiculed by the closest of friends. Bullied by those who thought they were so much better than me. Betrayed be close friends. Ignored by family. Through bad choices I should be a homeless crackhead on skid row. Two failed marriages. Diagnosed with an aneurism in the brain. My experiences are across the board.*
I am in awe that God would see someone like me worthy of being taught these things. And really all those was for a single purpose. So that as I reflect on those lessons I can use the talent of writing to share with others who are going through these types of events. God does not forsake us. He is just building us into a person that He can place in front of those he wants to reach.*

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I appreciate your honesty :) Thanks for sharing your insights.

I'm currently reading a good book:

"How People Grow..What the Bible Reveals About Personal Growth" by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.

It's really opening up my mind to how to apply biblical principles in the here and now. Such smart men :)

H

Hava91

I completely agree...many times people will look at their past and wish they could change things, or others will look at your past and judge - but every event has a purpose. My mother is wiccan, and father christian (dont ask me how that ever worked lol) and I was pagan for a while, part of a cult, and later part of a coven, i struggle/struggled with homosexuality,ive been suicidal, i've been raped and now have a child through it - but all these things have taught me, and allow me to reach some people that others might not be able to. because i have been through certain things, i can reach different people, teach different things....looking back on it, all of it was a blessing. such learning! i wasn't christian through hardly any of it, but through one of the situations i have become christian, and i see soooo much more of what god has done for me (20/20 hindsight) - and others- through those experiences. it is simply amazing what he can do. you cant take any experience for granted, good or bad!

S

smallvoiceoftruth

thanks for sharing such testimony,i'm so blessed and see my self in the same situation.... it's very true to each one of us... maybe in different form or situations but the most important thing is that we know God in our lives, we must know how much He loved us and care for us more than others could... and it's very true that all things works together for good to us who are called according to His purpose and He has wonderful plans for each one of us who loved Him for He first loved us... God speed to all of us...