Time Banks...your thoughts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

I recently started looking into Time Banks (here in the U. S., for those who aren't) and wondered if anyone here has been part of one, knows about them, etc. Would love your thoughts. Also, isn't it a Biblical idea? Not that it was done in Jesus' day but the idea of helping others, doing for others, etc.

Thank you. I'm thinking of bringing it up at my church, we have a lot of older members and members who are hurting financially right now and this could really help, but I want to know what I'm talking about before I start making suggestions.

Jan 10, 2014
I have idea for a charity which is based on time banks and I really do think its the way forward look how much the armish get done if we would just volunteer our time an talents to each other we move forward together.
babysitting, decorating (it cost so much) gardening for nothing no cost some people cant receive this doing something for nothing but when theres so many people struggling everyday why not just help and God will reward you

N

Nancyer

Thank you for the encouragement. God bless you and your efforts

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Please explain what you are talking about. I have never heard of this.

IDEAtor

Aug 15, 2012
I never heard of it, either.
But here are related links:
About Timebanks USA | Timebanks USA (background on the founder of TimeBanks)
Directory of TimeBanks | Community Directory (Find a TimeBank around the world)
Timebanks USA (uses less data, for those with data limits)
https://www.facebook.com/TimeBanksUSA
Barter With Thy Neighbor: Learning About Timebanking | Apartment Therapy (old article, concise explanation)
Time banking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (generic TimeBanking information)

Thanks for asking, now I know :)

N

Nancyer

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. From what I know so far, Time Banks are "banks" where you "deposit" amounts of time and service you offer to someone and then you get equal time and service in return. For instance, I can get an hour of auto repair (oil change, tire repair, etc.) for free if a shop or mechanic has signed up and I can offer an hour of house cleaning or typing or cooking, etc. Whatever service or skill you have to offer. I just need some info on how to actually set one up, get things started. I'll check out the above links. Let me know if you find out anything yourself.