To live is Christ To Die is Gain

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
What do you think Paul was saying and intended?

What does this look like today?
How should this opinion be expressed in our lives?

What does a person who believes this behave or do?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

just read a few more verses

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; that your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭1:21-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

paul was in prison headed for rome where Christian’s were being killed in mass numbers for thier faith by Titus and Nero and was contemplating how he’d be happier to just die and be with the lord in heaven that’s what he would prefer , but he knows that it would benefit the church more for him . An apostle of Jesus the Lord to yet be in the world teaching and leading them by the spirit of Christ in him

later in 2 Timothy Paul had faced and somehow gotten out of one answer before Nero but was going to appear a second time . This time the lord made it clear to Paul that he would die and part this world the second time

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day:

and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. ….Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry.

At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:6-8, 11, 16-18‬ ‭

when a Christian is alive on earth and when they die they aren’t dead

“Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

we are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:6, 8-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, ( our flesh body dies )

but after this the judgment:”( our spirit returns to God from where it came )
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

When man was created

“And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,( body of dust )

and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; ( spirit of life )

and man became a living soul.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭2:7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

When a man dies the opposite happens

“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: ( body )

and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.”( spirit returns to God the father of spirits )
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12:7‬ ‭

He was just saying his choice would be to die and go be with Jesus , but he knew it was better for others if he stayed and preached the gospel longer and fuller ….so he was resigned to staying

abut in the second time he’s resigned tbat his time is up on earth and he’s going to be welcomed now into the kingdom he’s been preaching through tribulations and trials and sufferings in earth

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
meaning: ......."to live is Christ" means to live the born again Christian life which is thinking, speaking & acting like Jesus would. a reference to that is Romans 12:2 which teaches "be transformed by the renewing of your mind". also, the meaning is to constantly grow in grace & in knowledge of our Lord & savior. & added to that, a mind to constantly edify.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So....to be like Christ also would mean to be needed to further the Gospel message to various groups who have accepted your messenger status?

Apr 18, 2024

I think Paul says clearly what he means in the context of the verse (Phil1:21) you reference:
  • He's in chains but he's still a worker advancing the Gospel (Phil1:12-19).
  • He knows that through the prayers of others and the Spirit of Jesus Christ, Christ will be held in greater esteem/glorified by him whether he lives or dies in the process. (Phil1:19-20)
  • What Paul says in Phil1:21 explains what he's just said. His mindset that he lives and works by is that He lives and works for Christ. If he dies in the process, he has nothing but gain in eternity - he will enjoy an eternal inheritance, wages and reward for his faithfulness and work from his Lord God for advancing the Good News of Jesus Christ and glorifying Him. In Christ in Spirit he will proclaim the Good News to bring people to Christ and He will teach the full scope of the Good News to help them grow to spiritual maturity and beyond.
What this looks like today is the same as it looked like for Paul for anyone who shares his mindset, labors & focus on the glory of Jesus Christ. Even in the suffering there is joy to be found (Phil1:18) and a focused and steadfast dedication to the work of Christ.

The expression today is as it was for Paul. Hard, focused work and a voice that explains why. When he says he'd rather depart and be with Christ, he meant it. Even finding joy in the suffering, which is a mindboggling state of mind, he knows that departing from this mess of a world to be at home with our Lord and firstborn brother (Phil1:23; Rom8:29) will prove to be far beyond anything we can experience here in flesh. He truly longs for the place where righteousness dwells.

What a Christian does today is the same as Paul did - have the eternal mindset while giving it his all for and in faithful obedience to Christ in time, knowing God is the one who decides when we come home and if he has us here, then we have things to do for Him, for others, and for our future gain.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023

t
It means having no fear of death to distract us from enjoying Christ and living out that love for Him, freely giving to others what we have freely received from Him.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022

This is one of my favorite lessons from the Bible and Paul's life which talks about the peace that you have inside after knowing Jesus Christ.
You are content with everything and grateful for everything.
It's also how i live my life now despite the fact that this balance is thrown off with what life gives you (good or bad).

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
This is one of my favorite lessons from the Bible and Paul's life which talks about the peace that you have inside after knowing Jesus Christ.
You are content with everything and grateful for everything.
It's also how i live my life now despite the fact that this balance is thrown off with what life gives you (good or bad).
But also in the passage this comes from....
Paul talks about how they need him to remain so he can continue to teach them.

Not much different than we needed Jesus whether we realized it or not.

Think this element is also true?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
But also in the passage this comes from....
Paul talks about how they need him to remain so he can continue to teach them.

Not much different than we needed Jesus whether we realized it or not.

Think this element is also true?
Yes, this gives you complete peace and confidence to face anything.
While we are here, we can deal with anything, including the worst things that humanity has to offer, and through our internal peace radiated from us, we can show to others through ourselves the unshakable message of Christ which can make one in complete "control" of any uncertainties.
And if we die, then that's fine too so if you have nothing to fear, including death, then you're very close to God.

sawdust

Feb 12, 2024
Darwin, NT
That the Christian way of life, even at it's most abundant is still a pale reflection of the life to come in glorified eternity.

Contentment in any and all circumstances.

It is not an opinion, it is the reality of life in Christ.

They are not troubled when faced with death.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Yes, this gives you complete peace and confidence to face anything.
While we are here, we can deal with anything, including the worst things that humanity has to offer, and through our internal peace radiated from us, we can show to others through ourselves the unshakable message of Christ which can make one in complete "control" of any uncertainties.
And if we die, then that's fine too so if you have nothing to fear, including death, then you're very close to God.
I think that living like Jesus....
Knowing that we are going to give our lives, our personal resources, talents, and abilities....expending all unto death to advance the gospel....pouring/giving ourselves out to the lost, uncaring, and even ridiculing and hostile population as well as continuing to further disciple/mentor those who have believed.
Just some thoughts....