To Slander No One, To Be Peaceable And Considerate, And Always To Be Gentle Toward Everyone.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Saturday 6-17-23 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Sivan 28 5783, 90th. Spring Day

Speak Evil Of No One

Titus 3

Saved in Order to Do Good
3 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,

7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. 11 You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned.
Final Remarks
12 As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, because I have decided to winter there. 13 Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need. 14 Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.
15 Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith.
Grace be with you all.

speak evil of no man NIV - Bing
Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
www.bing.com

Love, Walter and Debbie

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I would simply add, as a point of consideration, that all scripture needs to be taken in context, and with careful interpretation.

Things to consider:
a.) If we're going to translate "speaking evil" as slander, then we need to consider that "slander", by definition, is something UNTRUE.
b.) If we're going to translate the phrase as "speak evil of no one", then we need to consider, biblically, what it means to speak evil.
c.) The Bible says it's a sin to lie, and it's a sin to call evil good... so if we ever look at something evil, and say it's fine and good... that is speaking evil.

Conclusion:
- Overall, I don't think this passage means we're to refrain from difficult discussions, or that we're to refrain from identifying sin as such when appropriate... I think it simply means we are to have genuine love and compassion for others BEFORE we open our mouths. And in so doing, we gain the wherewithal to stop ourselves from any fleshly cruelty, and we are able to season any difficult discussions with some constraint.
- We can be truthful, and discuss difficult things, but we are never to revel in being cruel.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would simply add, as a point of consideration, that all scripture needs to be taken in context, and with careful interpretation.

Things to consider:
a.) If we're going to translate "speaking evil" as slander, then we need to consider that "slander", by definition, is something UNTRUE.
b.) If we're going to translate the phrase as "speak evil of no one", then we need to consider, biblically, what it means to speak evil.
c.) The Bible says it's a sin to lie, and it's a sin to call evil good... so if we ever look at something evil, and say it's fine and good... that is speaking evil.

Conclusion:
- Overall, I don't think this passage means we're to refrain from difficult discussions, or that we're to refrain from identifying sin as such when appropriate... I think it simply means we are to have genuine love and compassion for others BEFORE we open our mouths. And in so doing, we gain the wherewithal to stop ourselves from any fleshly cruelty, and we are able to season any difficult discussions with some constraint.
- We can be truthful, and discuss difficult things, but we are never to revel in being cruel.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.