To whom does God look?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JesusistheChrist

JesusistheChrist said:
Anyhow, are you saying that Christians ought not fear God...except in some sort of "reverential" way?
If he is not, I am!
Then you're in great error which is only accentuated by your exclamation point. Rather than repeat myself, I'll provide you with links to a three part post that I made a while back in which the fear of God is clearly defined for us in scripture:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874683

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874684

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874685

Try substituting "reverence" in place of "fear" in those passages and see how far you can get before you recognize your error and hopefully repent of the same.

MarcR said:
If not, what is the meaning of " Perfect love casteth out all fear"?
I've addressed that here before as well:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god.html#post1872146

J

JesusistheChrist

JesusistheChrist said:
Isaiah chapter 66

[1] Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
[2] For all those things hath mine hand made, and those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

When was the last time that you trembled at God's Word?

Today?

Yesterday?

Last week?

Last month?

Last year?

Never?
I think the more significant words in your quote of scripture is that part that reads "where is the house that ye build unto Me? and where is the place of my rest?"

How many of us today have asked ourselves what this really means, and what are its applications for us today? Is not the Lord asking us this same thing today??
Hi, 84Niner.

I wouldn't say "more significant words", but I'd certainly say "as equally significant words". Anyhow, Stephen addressed these words in his final sermon before being stoned to death when he said:

Acts chapter 7

[44] Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the wilderness, as he had appointed, speaking unto Moses, that he should make it according to the fashion that he had seen.
[45] Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David;
[46] Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
[47] But Solomon built him an house.
[48] Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
[49] Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
[50] Hath not my hand made all these things?

Seeing how "the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands", where, then, does He dwell? Well, I'll let Him answer this extremely important question for us:

"For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." (Isaiah 57:15)

God said that He "dwells with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit". He elaborated on this a bit further in the passage which inspired this thread:

Isaiah chapter 66

[1] Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
[2] For all those things hath mine hand made, and those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Yes, there is the same "poor and contrite spirit" and "trembling at His word" is added to the same...which leads me back to my opening question for all:

JesusistheChrist said:

Today?

Yesterday?

Last week?

Last month?

Last year?

Never?
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." (Proverbs 1:7)

J

JesusistheChrist

Amen and let us come boldly before the throne of Grace to obtain mercy and help in time of need.......!
Here's the context of what you alluded to:

Hebrews chapter 3

[1] Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
[2] Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
[3] For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
[4] For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
[5] And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
[6] But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
[7] Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
[8] Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
[9] When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
[10] Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
[11] So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
[12] Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
[13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
[14] For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
[15] While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
[16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
[17] But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
[18] And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
[19] So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews chapter 4

[1] Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2] For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3] For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4] For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
[5] And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
[6] Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7] Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8] For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9] There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
[10] For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
[11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
[12] For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
[13] Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
[14] Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
[15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
[16] Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Why do we need to come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need? Well, because WE CAN FALL AWAY on any given day that is called "Today" and we ought to therefore FEAR...even though you regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same.

J

JesusistheChrist

Many come on here to test other christians where they are at, I don't believe it is right that we do that to one another. We shouldn't look at one another with suspicious minds, at first doubting another faith, making the other feel they have to valid themselves to others. I once had this attitude towards other believers, it is not the mind of Christ. We should esteem others better than ourselves, how hard that can be to do at times - speaking for myself.
Have you ever considered that your own "suspicious mind" might have caused you to miss the actual intent of this thread?

Anyhow, if you read my last response to dcon, then you ought to be able to recognize that Christians are encouraged to exhort one another DAILY, WHILE IT IS CALLED "TODAY", so that none might be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin and/or turn away from Christ.

Those are my true motives...despite your own unjustifiable "suspicions" in relation to me.

O

oldthennew

JtC,

it is a good thread.

suspicion is natural to our species for survival,
after conversion, our Father teaches us discernment,
a little at a time as we grow - therefore, I don't take
offence, but count it as a honing skill.

J

JesusistheChrist

JtC,

it is a good thread.

suspicion is natural to our species for survival,
after conversion, our Father teaches us discernment,
a little at a time as we grow - therefore, I don't take
offence, but count it as a honing skill.
Hi, oldthennew.

I'm glad that you consider this to be a good thread in that its purpose is to hopefully help bring people to the place where God looks on them...and that includes any guests or lurkers who may read this thread.

Nah, it's not about taking offense, but merely about standing up for the truth...as unpopular and as unthankful a task that can often be. No worries. It's always important to seek to do that which is pleasing in the Father's eyes...come what may. Regarding "discernment", we read:

Hebrews chapter 5

[12] For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
[13] For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
[14] But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Anyhow, have a blessed day in the Lord and thanks for your encouragement.

Dec 12, 2013
Here's the context of what you alluded to:

Hebrews chapter 3

[1] Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
[2] Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
[3] For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
[4] For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
[5] And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
[6] But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
[7] Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
[8] Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
[9] When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
[10] Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
[11] So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
[12] Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
[13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
[14] For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
[15] While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
[16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
[17] But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
[18] And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
[19] So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews chapter 4

[1] Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2] For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3] For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4] For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
[5] And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
[6] Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7] Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8] For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9] There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
[10] For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
[11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
[12] For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
[13] Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
[14] Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
[15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
[16] Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Why do we need to come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need? Well, because WE CAN FALL AWAY on any given day that is called "Today" and we ought to therefore FEAR...even though you regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same.

All I did was quote a verse....I am not worried about your baseless accusation which was also judgmental....they could not enter because of UNBELIEF.....I have faith and I believe and continue to believe.......you should try faith.....that is how the just live....by faith!

Dec 12, 2013
Have you ever considered that your own "suspicious mind" might have caused you to miss the actual intent of this thread?

Anyhow, if you read my last response to dcon, then you ought to be able to recognize that Christians are encouraged to exhort one another DAILY, WHILE IT IS CALLED "TODAY", so that none might be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin and/or turn away from Christ.

Those are my true motives...despite your own unjustifiable "suspicions" in relation to me.
You call the following remarks encouragement and exhortation....? I suggest you study the words and try again.....!

even though you regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same

J

JesusistheChrist

You call the following remarks encouragement and exhortation....? I suggest you study the words and try again.....!

even though you regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same
You do regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same and the Bible does exhort us not to be fools...and you've provided ample evidence of being just that on plenty of occasions.

Dec 12, 2013
You do regularly foolishly and defiantly deny the same and the Bible does exhort us not to be fools...and you've provided ample evidence of being just that on plenty of occasions.
Well...If your opinion actually meant something in the grand scheme of things I might be inclined to listen, but as it is.....what you say means nothing to me...so.....all I hear is gums flapping...... ;)

J

JesusistheChrist

Well...If your opinion actually meant something in the grand scheme of things I might be inclined to listen, but as it is.....what you say means nothing to me...so.....all I hear is gums flapping...... ;)
That's nice.

Now, would you like to answer the question that I asked in the OP?

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2013
That's nice.

Now, would you like to answer the question that I asked in the OP?

Thanks.
Have you noticed that many times when one does give you an answer all you do is come back with some mouthy comment bro....Just like your FIRST response in this thread to me...all I did was make a quote and you came back with a mouthy, uncalled for statement.

NOW to answer your question....I have trembled at the word, at the conviction, at the guilt of sin to the point that I physically shook while praying, could not eat, could not sleep, could not watch more than 30 seconds of television because of fear and conviction at the result of the word...................!

But I have ALSO known I was right with the LORD and knew I was walking right before the Lord and had no fear, no conviction and was bold in my approach unto the God of heaven.......

Fear is the beginning point...The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge......but that fear is to grow to LOVE and out of a heart of LOVE we serve God and it is a growth process..........!

J

JesusistheChrist

Have you noticed that many times when one does give you an answer all you do is come back with some mouthy comment bro....Just like your FIRST response in this thread to me...all I did was make a quote and you came back with a mouthy, uncalled for statement.
It wasn't uncalled for in that I was responding to a lot more than just your comment here. IOW, you and I have discussed some of these things elsewhere. You know, like when you repeatedly implied that I'm going to hell. Furthermore, the vast majority of what you called my "mouthy comment" was your quote in its fuller context. If such bothers you, then I offer no apology whatsoever. The context of what I posted is that God's Word has been given unto us so that we might be pierced by the same and not fall after the same manner of unbelief as others before us have fallen prey to...and such "unbelief" has to do with a lot more than simply a lack of mental assent. IOW, it was manifested in their actions or inactions.

dcon said:
NOW to answer your question....I have trembled at the word, at the conviction, at the guilt of sin to the point that I physically shook while praying, could not eat, could not sleep, could not watch more than 30 seconds of television because of fear and conviction at the result of the word...................!

But I have ALSO known I was right with the LORD and knew I was walking right before the Lord and had no fear, no conviction and was bold in my approach unto the God of heaven.......

Fear is the beginning point...The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge......but that fear is to grow to LOVE and out of a heart of LOVE we serve God and it is a growth process..........!
Thanks for your answer.

R

Richie_2uk

Is that because you fear the One Who can destroy both soul and body in hell? I'm not mocking or anything like that, especially in that I have a healthy fear of the Lord myself, but I just want to make sure that I understand you.

I've got to head off to bed because I've got to get up really early for work, but I'll check for any clarification in the morning. Thanks.
No, what I'm saying Im not affraid of a person who can kill my body, Because my soul will still ascend to God, But I fear God who can kill can both body and soul. Just by his word.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Then you're in great error which is only accentuated by your exclamation point. Rather than repeat myself, I'll provide you with links to a three part post that I made a while back in which the fear of God is clearly defined for us in scripture:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874683

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874684

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god-5.html#post1874685

Try substituting "reverence" in place of "fear" in those passages and see how far you can get before you recognize your error and hopefully repent of the same.

I've addressed that here before as well:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/106958-what-does-mean-fear-god.html#post1872146

To fear God means to show Him the same honor reverence and respect that we should show out earthly parents; only more so.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

Maybe it has, I'm open to accepting that I'm wrong. But my 'suspicions' were for the most part confirmed when you said, I'm not at the least bit surprised because that shows me that you had an already preconceived belief in your heart that most people haven't trembled at Gods word and therefore are what? Unsaved? I wont go on to assume that but whatever it means you had some idea of what to expect.
But for the sake of unity, I will accept that I was wrong and I believe you when you say you true motive is to exhort us, and I am sorry. And to answer your question, my soul has been trembling the past couple of days and still is trembling at His word.

slave

Mar 20, 2015
I feel called out to let you know I tremble at his word...Yet I tremble daily like never before in my life. I don't know if that surprises you or not.....God is my judge, and I am at peace with my Lord daily! Every walk I do, every person I see, every worldly eruption I let God give me refuge in, Every event of money and circumstance that befalls me, is another piece of that chapter of trembling and surrender. Our Lord is a God to be feared with awe and respect...yet He is my Abba Father...the one who tenderly holds me in our times together.