Too much Sinful Music in Churches

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Genres aside, the biggest problem with over-amplified music is that one can't sing to it. I'm a trained opera singer, and I can't compete with amplified sound. When I can't hear myself sing, the music's too loud, and I stop singing because I know I will over-sing. And if I can't sing, I'm not worshipping. Then it becomes a concert. Nothing wrong with concerts, but they don't belong in a worship service.
I don't know that "can't hear myself sing" is necessarily a bad thing. For me, it's not the sounds that come out of my mouth, it's what comes out of my heart. And if I can't hear myself sing, then I'm not focused on myself, but the one I'm worshipping.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
I should feel the presence of the Holy Spirit.
Who is ultimately responsible for bringing the presence of the Holy Spirit? Worship leaders or pastors?

Or ourselves?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I've been visiting a church I newly attend to. For some reason, there are times I feel like I'm in a concert or in a movies house. I'm not sure if its right to feel that way. :confused:

when i moved and was trying to find a church to start going to regularly, i visited a really big church - thousands of people - and to me it felt like i was just attending a "big show" not actual worship or teaching.
i think maybe that's what you mean..

sometimes i've been to churches where people clapped and cheered after the worship band played a song -- that felt incredibly wrong to me too, like they were worshiping the band or singer or something..

i still get more from a small group kind of meeting than a big organized thing on a Sunday morning. where we can interact, and everyone can share insight, and there aren't rigid time constraints on meeting. i'm more excited to go to a Bible study some weeknight than i am to go through a ritual on a weekend morning. not that i think the way most churches meet is wrong, but, well i think if we're only going to a big meeting on Sunday, we're really missing out on fellowship and spiritual growth.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
IMHO:

There is way too much sinful music being played in Churches.
Evil music, harmful music.
Music that destroys ears, ears which are part of God's Temples, the Bodies of Christians.

They are cranking up the amplifiers to cause deafness.
How can they be such Nitwits.

Why do they think it has to be ear-blasting loud?

Next time I go to this local church I have been visiting, I am going to take ear plugs with me.
In regards to the volume being too loud:

Psalm 81:1-2 “Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob! Begin the music, strike the tambourine, play the melodious harp and lyre”.
Psalm 95:1-2 “Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song”.
Psalm 98:4-6 “Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music; make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing, with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn— shout for joy before the LORD, the King”.
Isaiah 12:4-6 “Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you”.
Zephaniah 3:14 “Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem!”.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
if you're blessed with talent to sing or play an instrument, i don't think you're doing wrong at all to be involved with a choir or worship team or whatever -- that sounds a little to me like saying a person who is a gifted speaker or is blessed with a lot of understanding shouldn't preach because he might concentrate on how he phrases things when he teaches.

we need to use the gifts God gives us for His service, yes?

but i agree 100% we need to remember to keep our focus on God. sometimes no matter what a person singing or speaking or playing music does, the congregation might see it as being prideful or self-centered. is it the singer or speakers fault necessarily?
i mean, often here in the bible discussion forum, people's hearts are really in the right place but other people read their posts and just can't see Christ in them for whatever reason. it's not always the one speaking but the one hearing who loses focus.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
just to clarify my previous post some --

Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.
(Psalm 33:3)

the Psalms tell us to
play skillfully -- so i don't believe it's sinful or self-idolatrous to practice your instrument or your voice, to improve it or hone the talent God gave you.
of course we humans can turn anything into idolatry - it's kind of our 'thing'
but that shouldn't make us think that all things are wrong in and of themselves.

skipp

Mar 6, 2014

when i moved and was trying to find a church to start going to regularly, i visited a really big church - thousands of people - and to me it felt like i was just attending a "big show" not actual worship or teaching.
i think maybe that's what you mean..

sometimes i've been to churches where people clapped and cheered after the worship band played a song -- that felt incredibly wrong to me too, like they were worshiping the band or singer or something..

i still get more from a small group kind of meeting than a big organized thing on a Sunday morning. where we can interact, and everyone can share insight, and there aren't rigid time constraints on meeting. i'm more excited to go to a Bible study some weeknight than i am to go through a ritual on a weekend morning. not that i think the way most churches meet is wrong, but, well i think if we're only going to a big meeting on Sunday, we're really missing out on fellowship and spiritual growth.
Clapping and cheering in church for a band feels really wrong to me too! That turns the whole thing into a concert, and not true worship to God.

Jun 18, 2014
I always thought the idea of church worshipping was more a social obligation than anything with a lot of inherent meaning behind it, because in my experience people spend more time gossiping, trying to outdo each other in prayer or dress, and feeling utterly bored than they do inspiring one another in practical endeavour toward compassion or peace.

I've watched videos of church ceremonies where people hail God for defending America and giving them all the wealth to 'blow up the terrorists' (more like a ratio of 10 civilians for every terrorist), or services where the pastor gets the crowd so adrenaline charged they're ready to part with a weeks wages, or pastors telling mega-church congregations to shun people of other religions and push oppressive practices against those people.

I think church, as a concept, is so much better when it's good friends with good values sharing food and quietly encouraging one another. The mega-church, the bands, the concert atmosphere, it's a show and a business more than an opportunity for solace, contemplation and psychological rejuvenation in the company of like-minded, peaceable people.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
In regards to the volume being too loud:

Psalm 81:1-2 “Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob! Begin the music, strike the tambourine, play the melodious harp and lyre”.
Psalm 95:1-2 “Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song”.
Psalm 98:4-6 “Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music; make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing, with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn— shout for joy before the LORD, the King”.
Isaiah 12:4-6 “Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you”.
Zephaniah 3:14 “Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem!”.
These are all examples of acoustic music. Acoustic instruments (voice included) can not compete with artificially amplified sound.

C

Cairparavel

I read a few pages back how some people have a problem with hearing themselves and how it can strain their vocal chords or whatever. I also project quite a bit when I sing and have been told I have a nice voice, but i can totally relate to people not being able to hear themselves sometimes. At times it can feel like my voice and the voices of people around me are being drowned out by the worshipers on stage. Yes, they have lovely voices, but so do many people in the congregation too! Sometimes I feel like we as a group aren't considered good enough to be heard as a group especially when there's the solo part of the song where NO one else sings but him or her. I sometimes sing along anyway because those are usually the best lyrics/verse of the song! ...but also the ones we are NOT supposed to sing....only resereved for the soloist. arghh!!

My own simple solution for the not hearing myself part: Sometimes I cup one of my ears so I can still hear myself and where I am at. I don't have any problem doing this and don't mind if other people think it looks funny. Maybe if the worship team saw more people doing this, they might ask the tech people to turn down the mics just a bit! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I personally like Christian music in church with instruments, but not too loud. I once visited a church in which the band there was rocking so hard and loud that I was waiting for Ted Nugent to come swinging down from the rafters and start singing! I don't like the singing to be lifeless and boring either. I grew up in the Roman Catholic church and we sang hymns with the organ playing that sounded like the organ from the TV show the Munsters. I felt like I was in a morgue there. I think it's a personal preference but certain styles of music can cause division in church.

A

Aya2011

I think it's a personal preference but certain styles of music can cause division in church.
True enough. In my home church, here in my country, old folks would prefer singing Filipino (National Language) gospel songs and the younger generation are more into English gospel songs.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
I know I have a lot on my plate right now, but I really wanted to say something more on this.

I love the church. I love to worship and singing and praising God. I also love people.

BUT

We have a tendency to box God into the church building or a group of specific people.
There have been times when I felt closer to God worshiping by myself at home than at church and vice versa.
My thing is that we can't rely on others for our personal relationship with God. Other people lack of sincerity should not affect my sincerity.