Trouble understanding god

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MrAloyious

I am not very good with words, so I will get right down to the point.

I am having a very hard time understanding god lately.

I have a very promising career as a kick boxer in front of me. I have been training for 13 years now, and am a rising contender in the amateur fighting world.

14 weeks from now I have my first professional fight.

Here is where my issue begins.

I feel like God is WANTING me to NOT take the fight, slow down on the training, and do SOMETHING (I'm not sure what) else.. This has been going on for about 2 months now.

I had this very same overwhelming urge two years ago, just before another fight, and destroyed both of my feet while training 2 weeks before the fight card.

WHY would God want to pull me away from something I am so talented in? I have tried so hard to pull away when I feel him telling me to do so, and all it causes is chaos and pain for myself and my family.

That must not make much sense.. How could it cause pain for my family? Well.. My father is INCREDIBLY.. Whats a good word? Maybe "OBSESSIVE" about my fighting career. He will get angry when I decide not to take fights because of God or skip training sessions, etc etc etc.. And take that anger out on my mother, younger brother, and myself.

I am a fairly new Christian and do not understand any reasoning behind all of this. Someone PLEASE give me something I can go off of.

A

AnandaHya

wow. i'm stunned speechless. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. your father sounds abusive....

M

MrAloyious

Not quite abusive.. He's never hit any of us. He is afraid of what I would do to him if he did. I suppose that's one of the perks of being a fighter and all, as horrible as it makes me feel to say that.

He means well.. He's just a bit 'misguided'

Adrianv125

Jan 17, 2011
Wow Mr aloyious.

YOU said it yourself and cannot deny that God is speaking to you, and that is amazing that you hear His voice and then see the consequence of what it is to disobey Him.

I am no one to judge what you are doing and I will not say if it is right or wrong, but I will tell you the right thing to do. If God has talked to you before about not doing something, you can be sure that it is for your own good. He is your Father after all, and He loves you more than your earthly father could because He is perfect, all mighty, holy and He gave Himself up for you. God will provide for you all that He thinks you need if you will ask Him for it, if you will submit to HIs word and to what His spirit is communicating with you. Obey God and leave your circumstances up to Him, He will take care of the rest if you pray and just leave all your worries in His hand. Of course it is easier said than done, but imagine this. In the bible it says that we are the temple of the living God, that means that anyone who has believed in the name of Jesus has a direct connection to the Father and literally has His Holy Spirit living in Him, the same spirit who created the universe is living right in you. He will do in your life as He pleases and for His glory if you will let Him, and you will be amazed to see what He does if you leave your circumstances in His hand, worship Him with your obedience, faith, body, mind, and all your strength.

Focus on what He tells you, not on what you see, feel, understand, or think you are capable of. After all He bought us with His blood and we are called to be conformed to His image. Don't be anxious over anything. Instead give thanks to God always and ask Him to let you see life from the perspective of someone who has overcome death and will live with God forever in His presence rejoicing and living in peace.

M

MrAloyious

I suppose my problem is that I am trying to understand God's reasons, instead of just obeying them.

It kills me that I can't ask questions and find out WHY my family is hurting.. I have to just accept that they are and hope there is a happy ending.

Adrianv125

Jan 17, 2011
remember our thoughts are not His thoughts. But His will is better than our will. Remember that man's relationship with God is between a man and God. We could pray for other people's relationships with God or the lack thereof, and it is reasonable to do so. As I said, have faith that God has the power to do way beyond what you could imagine, and while you do so be the light of your house and the salt that we are commanded and called to be. God sees the future and so could you, because if you believe Jesus is Lord you will be with Him forever. Right now focus on giving Him the glory.