Truth will set you free

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Acerone

What does it mean when the truth will set you free?

Sep 3, 2012
When you become it you will be free. From yourself and others. Free from bondage and burdens.

Oct 12, 2012
Jesus began to unseal the Word or Scripture to the Jews,
as a Prophet of God, He began to free them from all the bondage's
they had brought back to the Holy Land with them.
Preparing them for their true exodus in Him!
So even in death they were set free from the evil of that generation.

So what does this mean to you, today?

J

Jay1

John 8:32 - "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free". If you continue to read on, Jesus explains that he is talking about being free from sin. The truth is his word.

S

Spokenpassage

It means that there is only one way to freedom, One Gate, One Road, One Path, One Truth, and that Truth will open your eyes and draw you away from slavery of falsehood, evil, and destruction.

Oct 31, 2011
When the bible speaks of bondage, it speaks of sin. Sin leads to bondages, addictions, divorce, all sorts of unpleasantness. The truth of God's law and spirit leads to love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. There is no bondage in the truth.

The ultimate truth is Christ. Through Christ we have freedom from the bondage of sin. In Christ we are truly free.

Dec 9, 2011
When things are done in truth it is freeing,but it will cost you in the physical.

The bible says that a great light was in the world,but men loved darkness.

A

abbiejean

When the bible speaks of bondage, it speaks of sin. Sin leads to bondages, addictions, divorce, all sorts of unpleasantness. The truth of God's law and spirit leads to love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. There is no bondage in the truth.

The ultimate truth is Christ. Through Christ we have freedom from the bondage of sin. In Christ we are truly free.
"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36

We were made free through the shedding of the blood on the cross.

"And almost all things are by the law purged with blood: and without the shedding of the blood is no remission." Hebrews 9:22

Jesus Christ (God manifested in the flesh) hung on a cross, shed his blood thereby breaking the bondage of sin. God, Himself, paid the price for our sin.

As the member said, "Through Christ we have freedom from the bondage of sin".

Thank God for the blood. Thank God for Calvary.

Apr 6, 2012
When in Jerusalem for the Festival of Booths of the year 32 C.E., Jesus made a statement that has become famous world wide. The Gospel account by John reports it in this way: “Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him: ‘If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”-John 8:31, 32.

Concerning the response of Jesus’ hearers, John relates: “They replied to him: ‘We are Abraham’s offspring and never have we been slaves to anybody. How is it you say, “You will become free”?’” (John 8:33) Though they had been subject to Gentile kingdoms for centuries, the Jews viewed their fleshly descent from Abraham as a guarantee that they were actually free.

Jesus pointed out that his hearers were indeed slaves. In fact, their slavery was worse than subjugation to Gentile powers. “Most truly I say to you,” continued Jesus, “Every doer of sin is a slave of sin.” (John 8:34) He knew that his listeners were habitual “doers” of things contrary to the will and law of God. The basic reason for this is that by inheritance all humans are sinful; that is, they fall short of fully reflecting godly qualities of personality. -Romans 3:23.

Refusal to admit their slavery put the Jews in a dangerous position. Jesus explained: “The slave does not remain in the household forever; the son remains forever.” (John 8:35) A slave had no inheritance rights and could be dismissed at any time. (Compare Genesis 21:8-14; Galatians 4:30.) Only “the son” actually born or adopted into the household would remain “forever,” that is, for as long as he lived. Since the Jews to whom Jesus spoke were indeed slaves, they were in danger of being expelled from the household of God’s worshipers.-See Matthew 8:11, 12; 21:43; Romans 11:15, 17, 19.

What now is “the truth” that can bring freedom from enslavement to sin? Jesus identified it in his next words: “If the Son sets you free, you will be actually free.” (John 8:36) That freedom-giving truth was regarding “the Son,” Jesus himself, the only-begotten Son of the God who is the source of all freedom. (2 Corinthians. 3:17) Compare John 1:17.

Jan 13, 2014
look it up

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

So

The WHOLE BIBLE will set you free from false religions

that is what it means.

Cut out portions of the Bible as no more Binding, you have joined the enemies church.

Feb 17, 2010
This FREEDOM is so powerful that Jesus sais... If I make you free you shall be free INDEED... And this is what people CANNOT understand with sinning minds... God makes yuo free from ALL EVIL... He makes you holy, and perfect and GODLY right here on this earth... NOw how free is that?

Jan 13, 2014
look it up

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

So

The WHOLE BIBLE will set you free from false religions

that is what it means.

Cut out portions of the Bible as no more Binding, you have joined the enemies church.

the enemy has LOTS of false churches
the all are different
they all love each other
they all say they are all going

only those that love the TRUTH (the whole word of God) are going

"And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of." -2 Peter 2:2.

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:" -1 John 1:6.

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." -1 John 1:8.

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." -1 John 2:4.

"I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth." -1 John 2:21.

"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you:
but as the same spirit of God teacheth you of all things,
and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." -1 John 2:27.

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." -1 John 3:18.

"And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him." -1 John 3:19.

"We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; (Bible writers)
he that is not of God heareth not us.
Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error
." -1 John 4:6.

"This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth." -1 John 5:6.

"The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;" -2 John 1:1.

"Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love." -2 John 1:3.

"I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father." -2 John 1:4.

"The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth." -3 John 1:1.

"For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth." -3 John 1:3.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." -3 John 1:4.

"We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth." -3 John 1:8.

"Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true." -3 John 1:12.

Oct 31, 2011
This FREEDOM is so powerful that Jesus sais... If I make you free you shall be free INDEED... And this is what people CANNOT understand with sinning minds... God makes yuo free from ALL EVIL... He makes you holy, and perfect and GODLY right here on this earth... NOw how free is that?
Christ makes you holy only as you give yourself over completely to Christ. If, after you receive the Holy Spirit, you refuse to listen to the words of God that man has labeled as law, you are not free of evil unless you are physically dead and living in heaven. It requires turning to Christ with repentance, and we need to check what we are to repent from with both the Holy Spirit and the written law. We cannot trust ourselves to so divorce ourselves from our worldly self that we know everything in our minds is surely from Christ unless we are humble enough to check.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36

We were made free through the shedding of the blood on the cross.

"And almost all things are by the law purged with blood: and without the shedding of the blood is no remission." Hebrews 9:22

Jesus Christ (God manifested in the flesh) hung on a cross, shed his blood thereby breaking the bondage of sin. God, Himself, paid the price for our sin.

As the member said, "Through Christ we have freedom from the bondage of sin".

Thank God for the blood. Thank God for Calvary.
That's right, the truth reveals Jesus and his atoning work for us. He sets us free as we come to Him in faith.

P

psychomom

in one of the Gospel of John's beautiful I AM statements, (14:6)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

the Truth that sets us free. ♥

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
The truth is the good news of the atoning work of Jesus Christ. It's the only cure for sin's guilt, power, and condemnation. Therefore as ambassadors for Christ we should faithfully share the unadulterated gospel, even though unbelievers despise it, as it is the saving power for those that believe.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

P

phil112

Bondage is something we live with on earth as flesh and bones. Only in Christ are we free because He gives us spiritual freedom.
Bondage isn't simply sin, it is the constraints that we live under on this earth. We are always under bondage of some sort in the flesh.
In the flesh we have to eat, drink, breathe, but Christ is the bread of life. Of course this means spiritually. When you get saved you can't stop eating literal food without dying. Even in marriage, a union sanctioned by God, are we under bondage.
Romans 7:2, 1 Corinthians 7:39, 2 Timothy 2:9