Two Marys?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Acts 12
12 As soon as he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose other name was Mark, where many had gathered and were praying.
Mary the Mother of John was the Mother of Jesus.
When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, 'Dear woman, here is your son,' and to the disciple, 'Here is your mother.' From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

Mar 28, 2016
Apparently Mary means 'bitterness' and the hebrew equivalent is Miriam. Miriam was Moses sister in the OT.
The verb may be more appropriately be translated with strength/strengthen than with bitterness/being bitter: Like one who struggles in birth pain and overcomes. Ultimately in reference to the bride of Christ as the mother of us all. Mary is used as a type in that way to represent the chaste virgin bride of Christ, Christians..... as residents of the Holy City prepared as His bride.

K

KnowMe

Mary the Mother of John was the Mother of Jesus.
When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, 'Dear woman, here is your son,' and to the disciple, 'Here is your mother.' From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
and that points to a bigger understanding.

Mar 28, 2016
and that points to a bigger understanding.
The spirit understanding that comes along side of that parable gives us another understanding.. bigger or wider for those who do have faith needed to understand the spiritual meaning hid. (without parable Christ spoke not.)

Mary as a type is a picture of all believers that make up one of the many lively stones that does make up the spiritual house of God as His chaste virgin bride, the church.

Many mothers are used as a segregate womb like Paul or others sent with the gospel seed (Christ) by which men are born again from above. All mothers who hold out the gospel suffered as in with birth pains till a new member like Timothy is formed by Christ in them. Paul as a segregate mother calling Timothy a chaste virgin.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.Galatians 4:26-27

There it shows all Christians bestowed in marriage as chaste virgins ( No other gods before our living God and husband.)

Galatians 4:19 King James Version (KJV) My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
I have a question are there two different marys aside from Mary, mother of Jesus in the Bible?

I'm wondering if Mary sister of Martha and Mary Magdalene the one who had seven demons cast out are the same person or two different people.

Which one anointed Jesus with perfume, it seems to me they are the same. But then you read christian literature that says they are two different marys, but are they really? They call mary sister of martha mary of bethany. But she could have moved from magdala.

Can anyone shed light on this.
The name comes from the Greek version of Miriam who was the Sister of Moses. That would have been a common name at the time.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In the book of Ruth, Naomi asks people to call her Mara which means bitter. Is this another form of the name Mary?

I find it surprising because I dont really picture Mary the mother of Jesus as someone who is bitter. Why would someone call themselves 'bitter'? Unless bitter has a poisitve meaning Im not aware of. And of course nobody really calls Naomi Mara as she continues to be Naomi esp after Ruth marries Boaz.