Under grace sin shall not have dominion over you.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 7, 2015
Romans 6:14
For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Let no man deceive you in this....

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

D

DesiredHaven

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Let no man deceive you in this....

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Amen it shows we have power through the effectual grace of God that sin should not have dominion over us in Christ Jesus.

The law was given by Moses but grace and truth come by Christ and the offence abounded by the one whereas by grace sin's dominion is not so for those under grace. Which is the effect of Christ (and the grace of God by him) in contrast to Moses (the law) while in the flesh to empower sin.

So we are told, not to let it reign in our mortal body

Romans 6:

[12] Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
[13] Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

[14] For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

The strength of sin was the law when we were in the flesh and under grace sin hasnt a chance unless we let it reign in our ignorance

[15] What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
[16] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants
to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

[17] But God be thanked, that
ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

[18]
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

[19] I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for
as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

[20] For
when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
[21] What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

[22] But now being made
free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

So speaks of having your fruit unto holiness, and all of this by the effectual grace of God that comes by Jesus Christ which teaches us obedience in denying worldly and ungodly lusts

Titus 2:

[11] For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Next verse is what the grace of God teaches us

[12] Teaching us that
, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Romans 8

[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:
but if ye
through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

So through the Spirit, bringing every thought down into obedience to Christ, even bringing ones body into subjection as Paul also shows in himself also

1 Cornthians 9:

[26] I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
[27] But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection:
lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Again, its through the Spirit (we do) this, together with God

But if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2015
Amen it shows we have power through the effectual grace of God that sin should not have dominion over us in Christ Jesus.

The law was given by Moses but grace and truth come by Christ and the offence abounded by the one whereas by grace sin's dominion is not so for those under grace. Which is the effect of Christ (and the grace of God by him) in contrast to Moses (the law) while in the flesh to empower sin.

So we are told, not to let it reign in our mortal body

Romans 6:

[12] Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
[13] Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

[14] For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

The strength of sin was the law when we were in the flesh and under grace sin hasnt a chance unless we let it reign in our ignorance

[15] What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
[16] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants
to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

[17] But God be thanked, that
ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

[18]
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

[19] I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for
as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

[20] For
when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
[21] What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

[22] But now being made
free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

So speaks of having your fruit unto holiness, and all of this by the effectual grace of God that comes by Jesus Christ which teaches us obedience in denying worldly and ungodly lusts

Titus 2:

[11] For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Next verse is what the grace of God teaches us

[12] Teaching us that
, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,

Romans 8

[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:
but if ye
through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

So through the Spirit, bringing every thought down into obedience to Christ, even bringing ones body into subjection as Paul also shows in himself also

1 Cornthians 9:

[26] I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
[27] But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection:
lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Again, its through the Spirit (we do) this, together with God

But if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Amen, we are set free from the power of sin in our lives by the Son of God, and through the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit we should now walk in newness of Life according to the Spirit of holiness and righteousness in Jesus Christ!

John 8:36
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
We are free from the condemnation of sin we are not free from the presence of sin. Paul dealt with the conflict between his old nature his flesh and his new nature in Christ. The Spirit is indeed willing but the flesh is weak. Let a man take heed for when he thinks he stands then comes the fall.

Free from the power of sin to condemn but not free from the temptation to sin in the flesh. This struggle will only end when we are together with our Christ and this vile body is changed into incorruptible like His glorified body. Even so come quickly Lord Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

G

Gr8grace

We are free from the condemnation of sin we are not free from the presence of sin. Paul dealt with the conflict between his old nature his flesh and his new nature in Christ. The Spirit is indeed willing but the flesh is weak. Let a man take heed for when he thinks he stands then comes the fall.

Free from the power of sin to condemn but not free from the temptation to sin in the flesh. This struggle will only end when we are together with our Christ and this vile body is changed into incorruptible like His glorified body. Even so come quickly Lord Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Thats the key isn't it? Free from the condemnation of sin. That is the freedom we are suppose to live in. If the believer can live in this freedom and grow in Grace, a relaxed mental attitude will develop, I am what I am, and we will advance in the spiritual life.

A life time of white knuckle, fight sin,do good only leads to failure and bitterness. And a life of worthless works for the believer and no salvation in it for the unbeliever.

Jan 7, 2015

For the cause of Christ
Roger
If you put to death the deeds of the flesh, and the body of sin is truly destroyed in you by the death of our old man in Christs own body. And you are then resurrected a new man in Christ and sealed by the Holy Spirit, then the Wicked one has no power at all over you if you remain in Christ. To doubt this is not of faith in the power of God.

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Jan 7, 2015
Thats the key isn't it? Free from the condemnation of sin. That is the freedom we are suppose to live in. If the believer can live in this freedom and grow in Grace, a relaxed mental attitude will develop, I am what I am, and we will advance in the spiritual life.

A life time of white knuckle, fight sin,do good only leads to failure and bitterness. And a life of worthless works for the believer and no salvation in it for the unbeliever.
Where is your faith in the words of God, and faith in the power of God? Is the spirit of the Devil stronger than Gods Holy Spirit?

Hear the words. Sin shall not have dominion over you. Believe in the words of God, believe in the power of God!

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Feb 5, 2015
The penalty of sin brings great fear of sin, and fear of sin brings much allurement to sin. Hence rom 6:14 one of the most understated verses in the bible. Glad you posted it

Jan 27, 2013
Galatians 2

14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, "If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?"Galatians 2

Justified by Faith
15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners;16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor.(jewish law)

21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

D

DesiredHaven

Heres a few on lusts and denying them or living after them if they would be helpful

Jesus said,

Mat 5:28
But I say unto you,
That
whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her
hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Look on to lust after her

Whosever look on a woman to lust after her

Sin is not to be obeyed in the lusts thereof

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body,
that
ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Gal 5:16 This I say then,
Walk in the Spirit,
and
ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

There are many lusts, a man should know his own

James 1:14
But every man is tempted,
when he is drawn away of his own lust,
and enticed.

You dont want to make provision for the flesh in these things

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ,
and make not provision
for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

The grace of God that bringeth salvation teaches us the same

Titus 2:12
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,

Obedient to the same grace

1 Peter 1:15 As obedient children,
not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

Even as grace is for the obedience of the faith

There were those who thought they walked according to the flesh in 2 Cr 10:2 and Paul adresses this everywhere though, that its not true.

Ephes 4:20 But
ye have not so learned Christ;

Ephes 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him,
and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

Ephes 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Gal 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh
with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit,
let us also walk in the Spirit.

As he stated earlier...

Walk in
the Spirit,
and

He says you will not fulfil the lust of the flesh,
which is not obeying sin in the lusts thereof (Romans 6:12)

For sin shall not have dominion over you:
for ye are not under the law,
but under grace.

Thats grace and what it teaches us, grace teaches us that we are to be denying worldly and ungodly lusts, and those who would live godly in Christ would be persecuted.

In James 1 :15 he shows
when lust has concieving (in relation to bringing forth sin and commiting the same) and so taking it at the lusts thereof (which come of sin) bringing the same under us before the same conceive. But even these are brought under us through the Spirit as we mortify the deeds of the body.

Fulfilling the desires

Ephes 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
according
to the prince of the power of the air,
the spirit that now worketh in
the children of disobedience:

Ephes 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh,
fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind;
and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

And so by grace we have been saved by him who quickened us who were dead in our sins and walking in our times past in the lusts of our flesh fulfilling these desires.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.
If any man
love the world,
the love of the Father is not in him.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
and the lust of
the eyes, and the pride of life,
is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 John 2:17
And the world passeth away,and the lust thereof:
but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2 Peter 1:2Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

2 Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:
that by these
ye might be partakers of the divine nature,
having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Last edited:

notuptome

May 17, 2013
If you put to death the deeds of the flesh, and the body of sin is truly destroyed in you by the death of our old man in Christs own body. And you are then resurrected a new man in Christ and sealed by the Holy Spirit, then the Wicked one has no power at all over you if you remain in Christ. To doubt this is not of faith in the power of God.

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
Well you're in 1 John why not keep things in context? He that says he has no sin is making Christ a liar and His word is not in us. 1 John 2:1 sin not but if any man sin he has an advocate with the Father. So don't sin but when you do sin go to Christ and keep yourself in fellowship with God.

Of course if you're not saved in the first place you cannot know the struggle between the new and old natures in a man. Sanctification is not complete until we are glorified together with Christ. Known as the day of redemption.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jan 7, 2015
Well you're in 1 John why not keep things in context? He that says he has no sin is making Christ a liar and His word is not in us. 1 John 2:1 sin not but if any man sin he has an advocate with the Father. So don't sin but when you do sin go to Christ and keep yourself in fellowship with God.

Of course if you're not saved in the first place you cannot know the struggle between the new and old natures in a man. Sanctification is not complete until we are glorified together with Christ. Known as the day of redemption.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
If you are truly born again and in Christ then you know your Old man of sin should dead and long gone, unless your still serving the lusts of the flesh, then you are what the Bible calls a double minded man who is unstable in all his ways.

Your old sinful man should be dead, if he is not, then you are not truly in Christ.

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

If your living in sin, or obeying sin, then your trying to serve the old man of sin and the lusts of the flesh, this is not serving and obeying Christ. If the old man of sin is destroyed, all things become new.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Jan 7, 2015
Heres a few on lusts and denying them or living after them if they would be helpful

Jesus said,

Mat 5:28
But I say unto you,
That
whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her
hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Look on to lust after her

Whosever look on a woman to lust after her

Sin is not to be obeyed in the lusts thereof

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body,
that
ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Walk in the Spirit,
and

There are many lusts, a man should know his own

James 1:14
But every man is tempted,
when he is drawn away of his own lust,
and enticed.

You dont want to make provision for the flesh in these things

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ,
and make not provision
for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

The grace of God that bringeth salvation teaches us the same

Titus 2:12
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,

Obedient to the same grace

1 Peter 1:15 As obedient children,
not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

Even as grace is for the obedience of the faith

There were those who thought they walked according to the flesh in 2 Cr 10:2 and Paul adresses this everywhere though, that its not true.

Ephes 4:20 But
ye have not so learned Christ;

Ephes 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him,
and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

Ephes 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Gal 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh
with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit,
let us also walk in the Spirit.

As he stated earlier...

Walk in
the Spirit,
and

He says you will not fulfil the lust of the flesh,
which is not obeying sin in the lusts thereof (Romans 6:12)

For sin shall not have dominion over you:
for ye are not under the law,
but under grace.

Thats grace and what it teaches us, grace teaches us that we are to be denying worldly and ungodly lusts, and those who would live godly in Christ would be persecuted.

In James 1 :15 he shows
when lust has concieving (in relation to bringing forth sin and commiting the same) and so taking it at the lusts thereof (which come of sin) bringing the same under us before the same conceive. But even these are brought under us through the Spirit as we mortify the deeds of the body.

Fulfilling the desires

Ephes 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
according
to the prince of the power of the air,
the spirit that now worketh in
the children of disobedience:

Ephes 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh,
fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind;
and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

And so by grace we have been saved by him who quickened us who were dead in our sins and walking in our times past in the lusts of our flesh fulfilling these desires.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.
If any man
love the world,
the love of the Father is not in him.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
and the lust of
the eyes, and the pride of life,
is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 John 2:17
And the world passeth away,and the lust thereof:
but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2 Peter 1:2Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

2 Peter 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:
that by these
ye might be partakers of the divine nature,
having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Thanks for all the scriptural proof Sis, you do good work. :) Peace

Jul 22, 2014
Good job! Love the verses, my friends. It's so true. I cannot understand how folks can read those passages and not see it (Unless they don't want to see it). These verses are as plain as day. They are like a big giant neon sign crashing down into someone's living room.

Thank you for sharing.

Jul 22, 2014

There are self professing believers today who live sexually immoral lives, or who hold to a prosperity gospel, or who hold to the idea that they can get away with a little or a lot of sin on some level (Because Christ paid for all their future sin).

But God will ask them what right do they have to even speak His words if they despise His instructions, though.

But unto the wicked God says,

"What have you to do to declare my statutes, or that you should take my covenant in your mouth?​
Seeing you hate instruction, and cast my words behind you."

(Psalm 50:16-17).

Jul 22, 2014
Matthew 1:21
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

Jul 22, 2014
Ezekiel 36:29
"I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the grain, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you."

Jul 22, 2014
Ezekiel 36:26-27
"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and you shall keep my judgments, and do them."

Jul 22, 2014
I want to say that whoever feels trapped by their sin, Jesus loves you and He wants you to be set free from such a thing. For he came to set the captives free.

Jan 7, 2015

There are self professing believers today who live sexually immoral lives, or who hold to a prosperity gospel, or who hold to the idea that they can get away with a little or a lot of sin on some level (Because Christ paid for all their future sin).

But God will ask them what right do they have to even speak His words if they despise His instructions, though.

But unto the wicked God says,

"What have you to do to declare my statutes, or that you should take my covenant in your mouth?​
Seeing you hate instruction, and cast my words behind you."

(Psalm 50:16-17).
There are those who are under the curse shown in Zech.5 , those who steal His words and swear falsely by the Lords name. (HYPOCRITES) The spirit of this world casts the truth to the ground, and there are those who hold back the truth in unrighteousness.

Romans 1:18
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;