Understanding The Kings James Version Bible Tips

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 11, 2022
I'm going to start reading the King James version Bible soon from beginning to end. And I wanted to have some tips on how to read and understand the king James version Bible. Some of the words I don't understand and the sentences I don't comprehend or understand them. What should I do? Do you have any tips on how to understand the Kings James Version Bible?

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
I'm going to start reading the King James version Bible soon from beginning to end. And I wanted to have some tips on how to read and understand the king James version Bible. Some of the words I don't understand and the sentences I don't comprehend or understand them. What should I do? Do you have any tips on how to understand the Kings James Version Bible?
Since I started out with the KJV it was just an accepted learn as I go (with everything) including the old English. If you read the preface to the KJV they intentionally used a variety of words to teach ….as the Bible was the most widely read book.

Maybe you should have a NIV or English Standard Bible at you side to illuminate scripture or words that bog you down.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Just use a dictionary. There's not that many difficult words. The more you read it, the more familiar you will become with the sentence formation and the words. Most of the words I don't think are too difficult.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
A KJV bible with a center reference column is perfect for new readers. They provide updated words that clarify the meaning of unfamiliar old English words; ie, "Bring forth fruits MEET for repentance" (Matt 3:8) The reference would indicate MEET means Worthy.

Another option would be to purchase a parallel bible. The bibles include 2 versions in one bible. KJV/Amplified, KJV/NKJV, etc. I know many people who started out with a parallel bible and later transitioned to just using a KJV.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If you have read the Bible through in another translation, likely the only help you might beed is a good dictionary (or an internet connection). If you are new to reading Scripture, start with a modern translation.

Again, if you are familiar with Scripture, you will notice some differences in wording and content; don’t be alarmed by these differences as there are good explanations for them.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I love reading the KJV, but I'm not KJVO.
It's very beautiful, and very moving, and I find the meter and expression makes it easy to memorize.

I doubt reading some classic English literature is going to harm anyone.
In a world where no one has anything sensible to say, and when they do they can't write a complete sentence without invoking Grammarly... the KJV might be just the ticket. You learn the scripture, and learn classic literature at the same time.

If you want to read this translation but you're having problems in places: get a dictionary, get an old dictionary, get some commentaries, get some other reliable translations to read with it.

Overall it's a win: spend time in the God's Word, and spend time in beautiful literary art.
It won't hurt you.
: )

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I love reading the KJV, but I'm not KJVO.
It's very beautiful, and very moving, and I find the meter and expression makes it easy to memorize.

I doubt reading some classic English literature is going to harm anyone.
In a world where no one has anything sensible to say, and when they do they can't write a complete sentence without invoking Grammarly... the KJV might be just the ticket. You learn the scripture, and learn classic literature at the same time.

If you want to read this translation but you're having problems in places: get a dictionary, get an old dictionary, get some commentaries, get some other reliable translations to read with it.

Overall it's a win: spend time in the God's Word, and spend time in beautiful literary art.
It won't hurt you.
: )
Since I "live on a computer" (as a Mechanical Design Engineer) I use "Blueletterbible.org" which has all the major versions, and a very good concordance built in. I keep the KJV open, since I've been using it for 70 years, but if I need a different one, they're all right there.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Don't take this as criticism, I'm just curious about your motives. Why do you want to read the entire Bible in the KJV?

dlw

Aug 29, 2021
If you want to know any word meaning click on analysis at the top of the page and find the verse. Hope this helps.
Textus Receptus Bibles

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Hi Christian Warrior GW.

This is a great goal that God can bless you as you keep it. If you are interested, I'll provide some helpful tips that will help you reach your goal.

A. Write down/ print out the names and chapters of the books. You will need a way to keep track of your progress. This will also provide incentive to encourage the process.
There are many online charts available that will give a list of them and break up the order, for instance a couple chapters from the O.T. and also the N.T. each day. Since you want to read the entire Bible from cover to cover, it doesn't necessarily need to be in exact order.
Too many people start and get bogged down with the genealogies in Numbers, for instance.

B. I think many who aren't in a daily reading schedule already, find it beneficial to start with Proverbs. Why Proverbs?
It is packed full of wisdom, practical teaching and is easy to read. Once someone is able to get through the book, they will have established a habit/ pattern that can continue as they go back to Genesis and a N.T. book. It's like a warm up to get the momentum going to establish your habit.

C. I have already listened to two good sermons on this subject since I saw you brought it up. It helps to have a purpose in mind and to encourage yourself in the Lord.
The devil and his servants are always ready to misdirect, plant doubts, and undermine the amount of faith you have. Some will disagree, but there are certain people who you should avoid that do not like God's Holy Word, the KJV. They make it their goal to put down this Bible God has blessed and they do the work of an anti-evangelist.

"Beware, lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the rudiments of the world and not after Christ."
Colossians 2:8

This will happen on this forum and many other places too. If you don't have a pastor who is a strong man of God who stands on the KJ Bible, the sword of the Spirit, then the enemy will offer you a plastic butter knife.
You are Christian Warrior, so I think you want to go against the principalities and powers of darkness with the sharpest sword and most skillful techniques you can acquire. See the picture above. The demons/ devils are real and have tried to take my life many times. I thank the Lord for providing power and safety to continue His mission as a fellow Christian warrior. As long as I am here, I am available for encouragement and to help any way I can.

☕🙂👍⚔️

PS:
One more thing comes to mind. Make sure you have a KJV that is large enough print to be legible/ easy to read. Don't bother spending money on a "Study Bible" with notes. Those are distracting at best. Just get a plain Jane big print KJV. A pen to write your own notes and underline and a dictionary.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Here's one of the sermons on this subject I just listened to. If you want to listen, the message begins about the 16:30 mark .
7 Reasons to Read the King James Bible.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
1st thing to do: become a born again Christian. all Christians have the Holy Spirit living inside them. the H.S. teaches you. get a nelson KJ Bible because it has great study helps that greatly explain God's word. every time before you read the Bible, ask the H.S. for help. know that the O.T. was written in Hebrew & the N.T. written in Greek. these verses will help: 2nd Timothy 2:7, 15, John 16:13, John 14:26 & John 14:16,17

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
1st thing to do: become a born again Christian. all Christians have the Holy Spirit living inside them. the H.S. teaches you. get a nelson KJ Bible because it has great study helps that greatly explain God's word. every time before you read the Bible, ask the H.S. for help. know that the O.T. was written in Hebrew & the N.T. written in Greek. these verses will help: 2nd Timothy 2:7, 15, John 16:13, John 14:26 & John 14:16,17
I rarely read the KJV. I'm not into bowels and such. In the last few years I've come across Bible Hub. I can compare virtually every version. I do that if the meaning is not clear to me at first. I also like the Amplified for clarity. I usually use the Berean version when quoting on the forum. Bible Hub will help you compare the more obscure KJV verses. Some versions are interpretations which I find less useful.

In general, the teachings that matter are found in most versions. If you want to wrestle your way throught the KJV, good luck with that. It was too hard for me 50 years ago when there were very few alternatives.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
How's it going Christian Warrior GW ?
Do you need any encouragement?