Undesirable versus Desirable

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AgeofKnowledge

Undesirable vs Desirable. This is a topic I see little attention given to in Christiandom but it is observable in life and a very powerful feature in nature.

The life of an undesired ugly, aging, sick, poor, Christian with no true friends is very different than that of a good looking, healthy, wealthy, Christian with lots of friends who desire them.

Much of the self-help material produced is aimed at transforming people from undesirable to desirable so they can get better results in society and life.

But while the truly undesirable may increase their desirability rating somewhat by working very hard on themselves, they can only accomplish so much.

I observed the following in a small group foot washing exercise last night. This is where people pair up and wash each other's feet. It's meant to symbolize service to each other, among other things as Jesus demonstrated by washing his disciples feet before going to the cross.

An interesting comment card was completed by one non-participant before they left which read:

"I am undesirable. I am physically unattractive, poor, and alone and have been so from birth. I've worked hard my entire life to try and be the opposite but failed despite my best efforts. This would be a disgenuine exercise for me because I know you'll wash my feet but you won't be my friend. I appreciate the fact that this is better than you manipulating me to wash your feet while you exploit me maybe pretending to be my friend or not depending on much farther pretending to will get you (cost vs benefit ratio) as I have experienced repeatedly in the world. It's not your fault. I'm simply undesirable. It is what it is. No harm done. Goodbye."

Wow! How the undesirable are treated in this life both in and outside the church. You don't think they notice? They certainly do. Ugly, poor, and alone though often well educated after many years of hard work invested in attempting to transform themselves into desirable people but failing. Their life experiences are often not positive. They get "the other."

They've been dumped, used, exploited, left out, abandoned, and had fake friends stab them in the back then discard them after washing their hands of them and experienced all of this routinely over and over again.

The person who came to Christ and found they were still undesirable to people, even after their best efforts over many years, often believes that only God truly desires and loves them and their life experiences in Christiandom over many years confirmed that it's true to the extent they would write a card like that and leave without participating in the exercise.

Instead of judging them, as I'm sure they have experienced as well repeatedly in a routine manner throughout their life, rather think about that the next time you have a foot washing exercise and are paired up with someone you find "undesirable."

N

Nancyer

Your post breaks my heart. I can't imagine finding a card like that, whether at a church event or anywhere else. I wonder if you or anyone else there has an idea of who might have left the card? Most of us like to think we don't treat anyone differently, though we all do. When we give money to a person on the corner with a hand made sigh we do it quickly, perhaps say "God Bless you" and move on.

Your post will serve as a reminder, I hope everyone here reads it, that we are all Children of God and all deserve friendship, love and respect. And that we can all do better. It's what God would want us all to do, as He does.

Thank you.

A

Ariel82

wow.... that breaks my heart and makes me wonder how many people go unnoticed and unloved in Church... I know that too often I am stuck on how alone I feel that I don't see someone else who needs companionship more than I do....sometimes we have to take the first step and go beyond just hello into developing a friendship with others even if we are afraid of their rejection.......May God give us the courage to love as He does. ..........[video=youtube;HJL7Eis0Rb0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJL7Eis0Rb0[/video]