Unevenly yoked?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jruiz

Dec 13, 2013
Im saved,but my husband is not...I wasn't saved before we got married. Recently my husband has been making comments saying..."you have changed",your not the person I married". I knew exactly what he was talking about,but I didn't say anything. Then the next day he says it again..Now I'm a little irritated and I asked him how I have changed and he can't come up with one thing,no specifics other than I'm a "super Christian". Whatever that means...so I think it was yesterday that he started saying the same things and saying I wasn't fun anymore...which kinda hurt my feelings,but whatever...who else goes through this?? And now what? Out of nowhere it feels like my husband is my enemy and is against me...

Violet24

Apr 14, 2015
I just want to encourage you to keep your eyes on Jesus. If you are feeling some attack verbally from your husband, just keep walking in the fruits of the spirit.. love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness & self control. I know this is easier said than done at times, but Jesus will equip you with His word, & give you wisdom on how to walk in peace. We are called to be "peacemakers" & to avoid strife & division. Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger...

G

Galahad

Im saved,but my husband is not...I wasn't saved before we got married. Recently my husband has been making comments saying..."you have changed",your not the person I married". I knew exactly what he was talking about,but I didn't say anything. Then the next day he says it again..Now I'm a little irritated and I asked him how I have changed and he can't come up with one thing,no specifics other than I'm a "super Christian". Whatever that means...so I think it was yesterday that he started saying the same things and saying I wasn't fun anymore...which kinda hurt my feelings,but whatever...who else goes through this?? And now what? Out of nowhere it feels like my husband is my enemy and is against me...

What fun have you stopped doing? Kidding around? Jokes?

Try to keep what you had with him before you became a Christian.

It's important you don't just stop doing or being what you were, but that you become more than what you were before. More happy. More supportive. More kind. Etc.

Not saying it's easy.

He's probably a bit worried that he's lost some of the woman he married. He knows religion can change a person. I'm sure he will see Christ has made you better wife.

Will look for your response.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I would only add to keep admiring your husband in little and big things. Let him know that he is still the ONE.

There are some things you might need to tone down a little around him. Violet was right - God will give you the wisdom on what you say or do around him.

Jruiz

Dec 13, 2013
What fun have you stopped doing? Kidding around? Jokes?

Try to keep what you had with him before you became a Christian.

It's important you don't just stop doing or being what you were, but that you become more than what you were before. More happy. More supportive. More kind. Etc.

Not saying it's easy.

He's probably a bit worried that he's lost some of the woman he married. He knows religion can change a person. I'm sure he will see Christ has made you better wife.

Will look for your response.
Before I came to Christ I was critical,my way or no way attitude,quick tempered,prideful,high maintenance,not an easy going personality...very opinionated...I can go on and on...my relationship with my husband has been better since I been saved..and yes I am still fun! I think he said that because h just don't like Christians. He's really offended by them. There was a time when I was quietly reading my bible to myself and it was almost like he couldn't stand it...

Jruiz

Dec 13, 2013
I would only add to keep admiring your husband in little and big things. Let him know that he is still the ONE.

There are some things you might need to tone down a little around him. Violet was right - God will give you the wisdom on what you say or do around him.
Tone down? That's the thing! I dont preach to him,I'm not judgemental,I don read my bible out loud..I don't try to get him to go to church. Even though I tried witnessing to him before,but he just doesn't have ears to hear...so it's like talking to a rock...

G

Galahad

Before I came to Christ I was critical,my way or no way attitude,quick tempered,prideful,high maintenance,not an easy going personality...very opinionated...I can go on and on...my relationship with my husband has been better since I been saved..and yes I am still fun! I think he said that because h just don't like Christians. He's really offended by them. There was a time when I was quietly reading my bible to myself and it was almost like he couldn't stand it...
Glad you responded.

Okay. So your relationship is better. I thought it had changed toward more negative. That's my misunderstanding.

Glad it is better.

He hates Christians? If you know why, in time you can address it directly.

So many variables in a relationship and this response is not thorough, it can't be. Just as your posts can't be thorough.

Imagine. Your husband is against Christianity/Christians. But you are a Christian!

SHOW him what a Christian really is. SHOW. For now, don't defend your beliefs. If he asks, of course do. If you don't know the answer, say so. Tell you don't have an answer, but you will study and pray about it.

Review 1 Peter 2:1-3.

You know, if I felt the way your husband did, I wouldn't want my wife reading the Bible; consequently, I wouldn't want to see her read it.

Don't know, but try reading the Bible "in your closet." Late at night, when he's asleep. When he's not home. In fact, plan to read it when you know he won't see you. Pray before that time arrives. Pray that you can focus on what you will be reading. Then choose the passages you want to read. This will create an atmosphere or sense that you're not being sneaky, but rather you are spending time in thought and meditation upon the word.

I commend you. Continue with your love toward God and your husband. The more positive you are, then greater is the likelihood that he will respond favorably toward your beliefs. In the future invite him to read the Bible with you. Maybe talk to you about the Bible. Pray with you. I am not suggesting you haven't done these things.

You have a big responsibility. Be patient. You will make mistakes, but don't let them stop you. Your husband might capitalize on your shortcomings and mistakes. Let him. Be quite. Then later, a soft answer to him. You will make mistakes. The devil is hoping you do.

The Lord also knows you will make mistakes. But He's hoping you will learn and grow from those mistakes.

Well, I hope this helps and that it's not all a bunch of rambling.

Jruiz

Dec 13, 2013
Glad you responded.

Okay. So your relationship is better. I thought it had changed toward more negative. That's my misunderstanding.

Glad it is better.

He hates Christians? If you know why, in time you can address it directly.

So many variables in a relationship and this response is not thorough, it can't be. Just as your posts can't be thorough.

Imagine. Your husband is against Christianity/Christians. But you are a Christian!

SHOW him what a Christian really is. SHOW. For now, don't defend your beliefs. If he asks, of course do. If you don't know the answer, say so. Tell you don't have an answer, but you will study and pray about it.

Review 1 Peter 2:1-3.

You know, if I felt the way your husband did, I wouldn't want my wife reading the Bible; consequently, I wouldn't want to see her read it.

Don't know, but try reading the Bible "in your closet." Late at night, when he's asleep. When he's not home. In fact, plan to read it when you know he won't see you. Pray before that time arrives. Pray that you can focus on what you will be reading. Then choose the passages you want to read. This will create an atmosphere or sense that you're not being sneaky, but rather you are spending time in thought and meditation upon the word.

I commend you. Continue with your love toward God and your husband. The more positive you are, then greater is the likelihood that he will respond favorably toward your beliefs. In the future invite him to read the Bible with you. Maybe talk to you about the Bible. Pray with you. I am not suggesting you haven't done these things.

You have a big responsibility. Be patient. You will make mistakes, but don't let them stop you. Your husband might capitalize on your shortcomings and mistakes. Let him. Be quite. Then later, a soft answer to him. You will make mistakes. The devil is hoping you do.

The Lord also knows you will make mistakes. But He's hoping you will learn and grow from those mistakes.

Well, I hope this helps and that it's not all a bunch of rambling.
Thanks..lol and yes he does try to capitalize on my mistakes saying that's not very Christian of you...it just so frustrating that he can be so offended by my faith when he supposedly is supposed to be Catholic..Anyway,thank for everyone's responses..