Upbeat music in church is good

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Nuns_n_Roses, I could not disagree with you more. The answer to different tastes in music is NOT to divide the church, it is to offer varying types of music within the same service. Our service has hymns and new songs, and we have a wide variety of ages represented in our congregation.

Again, the most important thing in choosing music for a service is that it is BIBLICAL and brings glory to God.

N

Nuns_n_roses

Nuns_n_Roses, I could not disagree with you more. The answer to different tastes in music is NOT to divide the church, it is to offer varying types of music within the same service. Our service has hymns and new songs, and we have a wide variety of ages represented in our congregation.

Again, the most important thing in choosing music for a service is that it is BIBLICAL and brings glory to God.
You do!? Excellent! I love when people disagree with me. I don't want to share a brain with anyone. :)

I actually like your idea better. Combining the music would probably have the best results but I wasn't aware of any churches that did that. I do however think it's important to have different age groups in a church. People in different walks of life have different needs and it will encourage all ages to join in fellowship and friendship. People are more apt to befriend those of their own age groups and friendships are important within churches as being part of the body of Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Now that I DO agree with you on -- it is absolutely VITAL to a church to have different age groups. The Bible teaches that the elders need to train up the youngers (sorry, just made up a word!). Not only that, but eventually, without varying ages, a church would die out.

N

Nuns_n_roses

Now that I DO agree with you on -- it is absolutely VITAL to a church to have different age groups. The Bible teaches that the elders need to train up the youngers (sorry, just made up a word!). Not only that, but eventually, without varying ages, a church would die out.
A good example being my church! We have very few people my age there and I think it'd be great if we had a group for my age range. I'd start one, but there aren't enough people my age! So it's a vicious cycle. :)

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
We aren't to conform to world's standard in order to win souls to Christ. If what they'd rather hear is rock/screamo music then they might as well not show up to church. The church isn't a rock concert.
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Well then forget the kids...I guess youre more than happy to allow you church to dry up and die off with your generation. I mean why cater to a younger crowd to attract them to church. And by the way no one said anything about screamo. There is a huge difference between adding more upbeat stuff like casting crowns or david crowder and taking it to the extreme of screamo like you did.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
The problem is that history proves that thinking to be the road to apostasy. God has declared His method. Vary from it at your peril. Upbeat music can only entertain it cannot evangelize.
Spreading the gospel message is far different than just inviting folks to church to enjoy the upbeat music. They need to hear about sin, righteousness, and judgment. Seems many fear to trust the Lord to honor His word. The offense of the cross is necessary if men are to come to Christ. Just attending church does not a Christian make. Easy believe-ism is a false gospel. Conviction of sin by the Holy Spirit is not intended to be pleasant but it is absolutely necessary.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I forget where in the bible God said no upbeat music in my church

But I think its hard to say this isnt evangelizing...perhaps its your age that blinds you to the truth

[video=youtube;vbmtjQppsao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbmtjQppsao[/video]

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Well church will not be boring if the pastor of that church is preaching the word of God.

Most of the churches have lost their power because they have forsaken the word of God. And they put in place of it all these different "programs" like how to have a good sex life, or how to cope with your feelings, and all the other psychological nonsense. It's like Peter Ruckman said one time, all this hoping and coping, and sharing and caring has just infiltrated most of mainstream Christianity. If you want to find a church that is alive and exciting and that has power. Well then find a good Bible believing church, where the pastor preaches the word of God and believes the Book. And of course make sure they sing the good old hymns :)

There is power in the biblical hymns! :)
Yes the power to put me to sleep and never return to that church because they are in no way worth it.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Relax. God's church will not die out. God is in control. The devices of man will fail. Do it God's way and He will bless. Do it man's was and suffer. There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof is destruction. God always has a faithful remnant. One that has not bowed the knee to Baal.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Yes the power to put me to sleep and never return to that church because they are in no way worth it.
Time to question what thrills your heart. Where does your treasure lie? Christ asked the question of the religious folks of Israel.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Ok take two churches, have them be the same in everything but music. Same pastors, same message, same doctrine, and just the change the music. I will put money on the fact that the church with the more upbeat music will have the larger congregation. They are getting the same message too. So know what? Make up some junk about how the people who lke more upbeat music are more likely sinners and therefore that church will fall away or some other ridiculous nonsense.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
We have the most phenomenal senior pastor in our church. He takes a passage of Scripture and never strays from it. He informs, stimulates and challenges the congregation in their walk with God. He ALWAYS preaches an evangelical message at the end, for the lost and unsaved, including, as he says, for some long time church members.

As a worship group, we work with the pastor to pick music which compliments the sermon - to ready the hearts of the people to hear and understand the sermon better. Sometimes it is all hymns, sometimes all new songs, and other times a combination. It is NEVER about the musicians. I play in our worship bands and our heart is to lead the congregation in worship of our living Saviour, Jesus Christ.

A year before I got saved, a Christian group gave me their record to listen to. Free of charge. I listened daily, and the music penetrated my heart. I won't say the music saved me, because that is the job of the Holy Spirit. But it pointed me to the Bible, and it help open my heart to hear the gospel message. I look forward to one day thanking those musicians for giving me that record. I could not have related to some old hymns played on an organ, or sung in 4 piece harmony.

NOW, I can appreciate all kinds of church music, from Bach to Jars of Clay. Oh yes, Bach wrote on each piece of music he wrote "To the glory of God." But I wouldn't expect most people to necessarily like Bach's music.

Oh yes, the most important thing of all - our church continues to grow in all age groups, and our focus continues to be reaching our community and the world for Christ.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We have the most phenomenal senior pastor in our church. He takes a passage of Scripture and never strays from it. He informs, stimulates and challenges the congregation in their walk with God. He ALWAYS preaches an evangelical message at the end, for the lost and unsaved, including, as he says, for some long time church members.

As a worship group, we work with the pastor to pick music which compliments the sermon - to ready the hearts of the people to hear and understand the sermon better. Sometimes it is all hymns, sometimes all new songs, and other times a combination. It is NEVER about the musicians. I play in our worship bands and our heart is to lead the congregation in worship of our living Saviour, Jesus Christ.

A year before I got saved, a Christian group gave me their record to listen to. Free of charge. I listened daily, and the music penetrated my heart. I won't say the music saved me, because that is the job of the Holy Spirit. But it pointed me to the Bible, and it help open my heart to hear the gospel message. I look forward to one day thanking those musicians for giving me that record. I could not have related to some old hymns played on an organ, or sung in 4 piece harmony.

NOW, I can appreciate all kinds of church music, from Bach to Jars of Clay. Oh yes, Bach wrote on each piece of music he wrote "To the glory of God." But I wouldn't expect most people to necessarily like Bach's music.

Oh yes, the most important thing of all - our church continues to grow in all age groups, and our focus continues to be reaching our community and the world for Christ.
Bach cantatas are the great...even greater when I have the German to English translation of the lyrics at hand. I find it hard to believe there will be hard/fast music in heaven...who knows?

J

jimmydiggs

Upbeat music is really hard to sing with, and I think that's why churches that don't use hymns turn into concert venues.

U

Ugly

Lets face it anything that lifts up Jesus is a good thing. Paul said " I became all things to all people so that I might win them to Christ. If people don't like slow hymns and would come if the music is more upbeat, change it do that we can win some.
Isn't the purpose of church to fellowship, learn, encourage, teach and grow? And isn't that done among a gathering of believers? Shouldn't churches be training people how to be witnesses and to lead people to Christ? Instead of filling our time of teaching and growing into a message full of the basics of salvation geared towards non-Christians, and fill the church with non-Christians? Perhaps this is part of why so many people view churches as hypocritical. They are so focused on bringing in unsaved, rather than training the saved. Churches are more filled with non-Christians and ignorant Christians.
Seems to be a part of, not only the claims of rampant hypocrisy in the church, but for the lack of biblically educated Christians. Churches messages are filled with salvation messages rather than meat that more long term Christians need to grow.
It also seems to serve to further water down the gospel. The whole 'seeker sensitive' concept of keeping it all happy so we don't offend.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Upbeat music is really hard to sing with, and I think that's why churches that don't use hymns turn into concert venues.
You may just have trouble singing along to anything then

J

jimmydiggs

You may just have trouble singing along to anything then
I only have trouble with hymns on the first verse of one I'm not familiar with. I have to listen and learn the tune, then I generally can catch it well on the next three verses.

I like to use the Lutheran Service Book.

I also use the Scottish Psalter of 1650 (oh noes, not kewl enough) and the Genevan Psalter.