Using certain words right or wrong?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
So obviously cussing is a big no no especially as a Christian but I was wondering what words are we able to use? I mean I know words like crap and crud or more crude than anything else but words like dang ppl see as saying damn( excuse the language I didn't know how else to speak of this subject) in a nicer way and thus is still cussing, and Oh my gosh is seen as oh my God.

So what exactly is the line between saying known words like that and actually cussing? I am sure I couldn't see Jesus saying crap or crud or oh my gosh but in the way we have grown up in society our language is very different

C

Caribbean_Beauty

What would Jesus say.

G

Geuty

1 thessalonians 5:22 abstain from all appearance of evil.
mathew 18:7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
and what if a child was to hear a cursing and become offended
mathew 28:6 but whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
i say make no occasion for sin and offense

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
It is always the spirit behind the word. Think about that before you speak.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
I've noticed that the Christians favorite coarse word is f--t. A bodily function. I can't even write it out let alone say it. I can't picture God using that word either. I hated it when I was lost. Am I now expected to use it as a Christian? That's why I hate chicken dinners in the church basement where that word flourishes. I got mocked on this site for bringing up this subject once before. I are out numbered I guess!
I just hope there's a place in His kingdom where that word is not allowed. I'll pitch my tent there! And alone I'll probably be!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I've noticed that the Christians favorite coarse word is f--t. A bodily function. I can't even write it out let alone say it. I can't picture God using that word either. I hated it when I was lost. Am I now expected to use it as a Christian? That's why I hate chicken dinners in the church basement where that word flourishes. I got mocked on this site for bringing up this subject once before. I are out numbered I guess!
I just hope there's a place in His kingdom where that word is not allowed. I'll pitch my tent there! And alone I'll probably be!
Are meaning fat? I could care less about a persons wight or appearance in fact I saw something awesome this morning at 7 eleven getting my coffee. Do you know what I person looks like who has a peanut allergy or something and their lips and face are so swollen and purple you can't recognize them? I saw a lady this morning in 7 11 who had on a pizza place shirt and was clearly going to work, I saw her and I thought to myself that is amazing this girl is so brave good for her and I wanted to tell her but she hurried out. I swear this is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time.

Who are any of us to judge someone by their physical appearance?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Are meaning fat? I could care less about a persons wight or appearance in fact I saw something awesome this morning at 7 eleven getting my coffee. Do you know what I person looks like who has a peanut allergy or something and their lips and face are so swollen and purple you can't recognize them? I saw a lady this morning in 7 11 who had on a pizza place shirt and was clearly going to work, I saw her and I thought to myself that is amazing this girl is so brave good for her and I wanted to tell her but she hurried out. I swear this is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time.

Who are any of us to judge someone by their physical appearance?

He meant "fart", Blain..lol.. Yes, I said it.. the F word.. fart.. :rolleyes: It's a bodily function, we ALL do it.. some find it funny, others find it gross.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014

Think about this though: God CREATED the ability for us to fart. Sometimes it's a necessary, if embarrassing, thing. I'm pretty sure Jesus probably farted at least once in his life. He WAS human, after all. :) Why would he create a bodily function if HE wouldn't do it himself?

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
If you question the appropriateness of a word, it is probably better not to use it.

The Bible often uses strong language: i.e.1 Sam 25:22
22 So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall. KJV

It seems to me that if strong language is used to emphasize the seriousness of a situation, it may be appropriate; but, if it is used to be obnoxious it definitely is not right!

Jul 27, 2011
i don't see using damn a bad word or dung or piss, i've seen these words in bible. Mark 16:16, He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Romans 14:23, 2Thessalonians 2:12. 2 Kings 18:27, Isaiah 36:12. Just wanted to share some verses that have words that some consider cussing.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
So obviously cussing is a big no no especially as a Christian but I was wondering what words are we able to use? I mean I know words like crap and crud or more crude than anything else but words like dang ppl see as saying damn( excuse the language I didn't know how else to speak of this subject) in a nicer way and thus is still cussing, and Oh my gosh is seen as oh my God.

So what exactly is the line between saying known words like that and actually cussing? I am sure I couldn't see Jesus saying crap or crud or oh my gosh but in the way we have grown up in society our language is very different
IMHO, it's not so much the words themselves but how we use them. Not only that, some of these words in themselves may not be bad, but if we use them how does that look on us as our testimony as Christ's ambassador's to the world.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
He meant "fart", Blain..lol.. Yes, I said it.. the F word.. fart.. :rolleyes: It's a bodily function, we ALL do it.. some find it funny, others find it gross.
When I was a little kid, I would get in trouble if I said "fart" and had to say "poot." lol :D

3Scoreand10

Why do we have to use so many adverbs and adjectives?
Takes a lot less time and effort to just say yes and no, and no one is offended!:cool: