Using Gods Name In Vain

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AmberGardner

It's not saying "Oh my Lord!" It is attributing words or behavior in God's name that He has not said or approved of.
What does Scripture say??

Jeremiah 14:14Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.

Deuteronomy 18:20But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

Ezekiel 13:13 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: ‘Hear the word of the Lord! 3 This is what the Sovereign Lordsays: Woe to the foolish[a] prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! 4 Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals among ruins. 5 You have not gone up to the breaches in the wall to repair it for the people of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the Lord. 6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Even though theLord has not sent them, they say, “The Lord declares,” and expect him to fulfill their words. 7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, “The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken?

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
to find the anwser to this question we look at what the bible says about the gentiles what they do in the bible, and we do the things which is contained in the law by nature and one of those things is do not say the lord's name in vain, but we can't help but do this because by nature we do it, now take a look at the world, movies, tv shows, everyday living what do you see? i'm sure you hear it atleast once a day even people who are atheist can't help themselves from say it the lord name in vain, if anyone gets angry they would say J*** C**** i'm not gonna say it but i'm sure you understand what i mean

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
that is saying the lord's name in vain, why is it vain? your not calling on him to be saved your calling his name in vain

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I dont really know how to describe what i'm thinking but I think I have another understanding of using the Lords name in vain thats different..Heres an example, I knew someone who I would see every now and then, i'd ask them, "So, are you working at the moment?" and their reply was always, "Oh i'm waiting on God to give me a job, he hasn't given me a job yet" Now this would happen whenever I saw them over the course of a number of years. I know the fruits of the person, they hop around different churches to get what they want out of people, never growing remaining the same..Is that kind of thing using the Lords name in vain?

Jul 12, 2013
Consider...

...the act of co-signing on a loan. You are in effect using someone else's credit (name) as a guarantee.

To invoke the Father's name as a 'co-signer' carried with it a serious weight of legitimacy.

Example:

1 Samuel 19:6 Saul listened to the voice of Jonathan, and Saul vowed, “As the Lord lives, he shall not be put to death.”

1 Samuel 26:10
David also said, “As the Lord lives, surely the Lord will strike him, or his day will come that he dies, or he will go down into battle and perish.

Supplemental:

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/74469-pay-what-you-vow.html

Peace and love to you all!

P.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Similarly, let you yes be yes and no, no. To invoke God's name to back your word is an example of using God's name in vain.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Ezekiel 16:15-32
"You shall not take the name of the lord your God in vain" 7.

Keil informs us that the Hebrew word תִשָּׂ֛א - ṯiś·śā, does not mean to utter or to speak. In fact, Keil says it NEVER carries that meaning anywhere this word is ever used. This word is used in one form or another some 653 time in the O.T. and never once is it ever used with the idea of speaking. The word literally means "to take up" or to bear up. It is sometimes translated as "to forgive". This is not talking about someone misspeaking the Lord's name, although this abuse of the Lord's name would certainly be represented in what it means to not "take up" his name for nothing." If we are to take up the name of the Lord it would certainly imply that we are not to slander that name or speak it with anything but reverence. The context is that Israel is being joined to the Lord as the Lord's bride. What do all brides do when they take a husband? They take the groom's name for themselves. Israel, in taking the name of the Lord is charged not to possess, accept, embrace, share, the Lord's name falsely, deceitfully, emptily, in vain, for nothing. If they were to wear or possess the name of the Lord, they must be true to the name they now bear. Everything about Israel revolved around the name of Jehovah. "O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! For Your own sake, O my God, do not delay, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name," Daniel 9:19.

They were the people who bore his name. "If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land," 2 Chronicles 7:14.

They dwelt in the city that bore his name. "Now therefore gather the rest of the people together, and encamp against the city, and take it; lest I take the city, and it be called after my name," 2 Samuel 12:28.

They worshiped in the house that bore his name. "Although recently you had turned and done what is right in My sight, each man proclaiming release to his neighbor, and you had made a covenant before Me in the house which is called by My name," Jeremiah 34:15.

Consequently, "You shall not take the name of the Lord for nothing." It is the name that give value to the people who bear that name.

The Gentiles would later on be a people who would bear his name. “In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David, and wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the days of old; that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by My name, declares the LORD who does this," Amos 9:11-12.

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the rest of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, says the Lord, who does all these things." Acts 15:16-17.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
Ezekiel 16:15-32
"You shall not take the name of the lord your God in vain" 7.

Keil informs us that the Hebrew word תִשָּׂ֛א - ṯiś·śā, does not mean to utter or to speak. In fact, Keil says it NEVER carries that meaning anywhere this word is ever used. This word is used in one form or another some 653 time in the O.T. and never once is it ever used with the idea of speaking. The word literally means "to take up" or to bear up. It is sometimes translated as "to forgive". This is not talking about someone misspeaking the Lord's name, although this abuse of the Lord's name would certainly be represented in what it means to not "take up" his name for nothing." If we are to take up the name of the Lord it would certainly imply that we are not to slander that name or speak it with anything but reverence. The context is that Israel is being joined to the Lord as the Lord's bride. What do all brides do when they take a husband? They take the groom's name for themselves. Israel, in taking the name of the Lord is charged not to possess, accept, embrace, share, the Lord's name falsely, deceitfully, emptily, in vain, for nothing. If they were to wear or possess the name of the Lord, they must be true to the name they now bear. Everything about Israel revolved around the name of Jehovah. "O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! For Your own sake, O my God, do not delay, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name," Daniel 9:19.

They were the people who bore his name. "If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land," 2 Chronicles 7:14.

They dwelt in the city that bore his name. "Now therefore gather the rest of the people together, and encamp against the city, and take it; lest I take the city, and it be called after my name," 2 Samuel 12:28.

They worshiped in the house that bore his name. "Although recently you had turned and done what is right in My sight, each man proclaiming release to his neighbor, and you had made a covenant before Me in the house which is called by My name," Jeremiah 34:15.

Consequently, "You shall not take the name of the Lord for nothing." It is the name that give value to the people who bear that name.

The Gentiles would later on be a people who would bear his name. “In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David, and wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the days of old; that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by My name, declares the LORD who does this," Amos 9:11-12.

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the rest of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, says the Lord, who does all these things." Acts 15:16-17.
I have always felt that taking the lord's name in vain has nothing to do with using his name incorrectly, but lifting it up in vain. As in 'in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the traditions of men.' In other words, exalting the name of GOD in pretense, but not in holiness and truth.

Last edited:
K

Kerry

Most people think that God's first name is "OH" and others think His last name is D****. But, on a different note using His name in vain, is to use it as means to promote ones self. Just as the false prophets did and are doing. Mainly these so called prosperity preachers. They say if you give me a hundred dollars then God will give you 1,000 dollars. God's word does not return void, so to use His name in anyway that is improper or does not produce fruit is vain or vanity.