Valuing others

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

StGiles

Why do some people find it so hard to see the good points of others; the value they have in society.

So much importance seems to be put on going out and earning a living or owning ones own home.

My husband has not been able to work for many years because of disability yet puts so much into society; yet many see him as a lesser human.

What experiences have others had of others not valuing things

J

Jenjoy

I'm not sure, selfishness I think.

P

progressivenerdgirl

I'm not sure, selfishness I think.
It's much more than that. It has to do with the way in which secular culture encourages contradictory and self-defeating standards for judging persons, and the difficulty this causes in confused expectations of others. You're danged if you do, danged if you don't!

I certainly believe in judging people - according to Biblical standards - but it is no cause to be cruel or dismissive of people. Even if you're going to imprison a man that's no reason to be rude to him!

P

Precious_Sunflower

Could also be a society drawing away from God's Standards? As nowadays having a good education, earning well, having a own home, getting married, getting your own family... These things seemes to being something that people learns from a young age what will give them success as well as what will fullfill their lives. This will say; Making them feeling complete if they manage reaching getting all or most of these things.

Also what I have noticed is that when someone might choose a lesser education, might choose not to marry, or might choose to not having children, or might have a form of disability, e.t.c.... Then these kinds of people easily seem to feeling left out by the society, and they will be looked down on as less successful in many people's eyes. As they haven't reached the main popular goals that most people wants to reaching for gaining what they think of as a complete and successful life.

This is part of what society makes out of it, as a lot of people somewhat looses respect for one that has an lesser education than themselves or others. Perhaps one can compare this with the parables in the bible about how many wants to become friends with the rich man, whilst with the poor man they despise him. As well as when talking about a church, and when the rich man comes he get's treated very well, whilst the poor man get's treated differently because he is poor. This has always been like this way for centuries, and what can we do about it?

The best way to do it is to changing ourselves to becoming more Christ-like. Acting out from His truth and love. Walking in the Word every day. And doing God's will in our lives, that also includes doing what is good towards others. We cannot change the way society is in our world now, but we can make great changes in people's lives by being a good influence for them from doing everything God's way.

Last edited:
T

tenderhearted

Hello,

I remember when I came to the same realization. I realized this when I married and had children young. We didn't own a home. We did not have a lot of material things because we were on my husband's one income. We loved the LORD and had a passion to serve God. We were always generous with the little money we had. I was a stay at home mom, who felt like no one valued what I did. I felt very put down by society. People treated me differently because I was young and didn't have what they had. We lived in a working family community, where both parents had to work in order to support their lifestyle. At the time, we were renting and saving our money. Our goal was to not live beyond our means and people didn't understand this because it's counterculture.

The LORD wanted us to know, who we were in Christ. He told me that my purpose was not to work outside the home, but to stay home and raise Godly children. He wanted me to have faith that he would provide for all of our needs. He wanted me to see that materials things would not add to my life. He wanted me to delight in him and to love on people. I did that and God provided us the ability to buy our own home on one income. He was right the home didn't add anything to my life. I am still committed to raising Godly children and my husband and I are still loving people. What God values as success, the world does not. Loving people, righteous living, and serving God are not valued by society. Unfortunately, money, material things and physical beauty are what the world values. Keep your eyes fixed on the things of God. For in due time you will reap a harvest. The bible says that the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Keep doing God's agenda.:)

W

wwjd_kilden

Sadly judgement is the most common form of self- defense, or at least: of attempting to make oneself look better than others, in any way possible.
It is a dangerous thing, as those who fail to meet the ever- raising standards feel they are not adequate.

The scale is distorted, so what is valued is not what should be valued, yet it is what everyone is measured against.

A singe thread in a tapestry though it's colour brightly shines
can never see it purpose in the pattern of the grand design
and the stone that lies on the very top of the mountains mighty base,
does it think it's more important than the ones that forms it base?
How can you see what your life is worth and where your value lies?
you can never see with your eyes on earth.
You must look at your life though heavens eyes

Jan 12, 2013
Why do some people find it so hard to see the good points of others; the value they have in society.

So much importance seems to be put on going out and earning a living or owning ones own home.

My husband has not been able to work for many years because of disability yet puts so much into society; yet many see him as a lesser human.

I've learnt that people never realise what they have until they see life without it.

And people generally don't listen or understand unless they've been in the position themselves.

What society thinks of your husband, is based on a preconception. And when they look down on him, it is made from an idea that is not even accurate, because they do not know him.

When they see him as lesser, it says more about their own minds than it does about your husband. They make themselves small in their thoughts. They assume.

B

BarlyGurl

In America... the carnal man's focus is to base the worth of a person against the material wealth they posses...grieves God for sure...very sad.

S

StephenH

I agree - it's very sad. It seems that the majority of people these days can't see past the shell we're in and just toss people into different groups of society without a second thought. I'm not able to do a huge deal due to health issues and I don't always look at myself with the best light, but because I've been through a lot, I know how hard it can be to be looked at like that.

This world isn't perfect and it won't be until New Earth after the 10,000 years are over, but I'm looking forward to it. We can just pray for people in the time being that they won't be so focused on the exterior, that they'll realize that other people are people too, just like they are.

K

Kefa52

The fallen nature of man. We compare people by wealth, race, size,gender,hair color, style of hair. Tall, short, fat, thin. clothing style. the tone of their voice, skin texture,size of your nose. How big your ears are. How small your ears are. Shoes, eye color, makeup, no makeup. Perfect yard, Christmas light display. How big your house is, how small your house is, how nice your grass is.........ETC.
Did I leave anything out?

Does my hat look Amish? I got it at a Menonite community. It just works good in the sun.

K

Kefa52

Sorry StephenH I forgot glasses. Do glasses make us look Smart or Geek? 4 eyes?

K

Kefa52

I try not to worry about the world. Who am I in Christ. I have seen comments about dumb guys in bibbed overalls here on this site.

K

Kefa52

It's called false pride.

J

Jenjoy

I try not to worry about the world. Who am I in Christ. I have seen comments about dumb guys in bibbed overalls here on this site.
that's not very nice for someone to say that. I like Your hat by the way. I wear a big hat when I garden or go to the beach.

K

Kefa52

I don't concern myself much about opinions. Especially from someone that has never met me. Those that do know me and get smart get a SLAP.....lol

Jan 12, 2013
A couple of verses that caused me to question whether the bible was about what profession, or 'doctrine' we believe, or is it rather about the state of the heart, regardless of what we look like, work as, or believe. Is humanity, in fact, equal in God's eyes?

It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

And

Therefore, I beg of you that before anything else, that you will offer supplications to God, and prayers for the sake of Kings and rulers, and intercessions and thanksgiving for the sake of all people, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil way of life in complete reverence to God and purity. For this is pleasing and acceptable before God, our Lifegiver; He who wills that all people shall have Life, and that all shall be converted to the knowledge of the truth. For God is One, and The Mediator of God and of the sons of men is One: The Son of Man, Yeshua The Messiah, Who gave himself as a ransom in the place of every person; a testimony of which to be proven in its time.

Thy will be done.

P

Precious_Sunflower

Sorry StephenH I forgot glasses. Do glasses make us look Smart or Geek? 4 eyes?
A friend of mine says glasses are mostly to be framing your eyes in, because of having such beautiful eyes. ;)

F

Flutteraritypiejackspark

It could easily be seen if everyone weren't trying to assume a position in their society. They try to become part of the crowd by "hating on" anyone who seems to have an "abnormal" quality, such as being very, very nice, well spoken, or just having fun in something most people don't.

I know this because of my friend, who is so, so nice, but she's made fun of by the new girl in our class who's already been trying to take charge of the group she's interested in.

At least, this is what I think it is.