Voting for Romney because of religious freedom

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

smithbr8

I've heard a few times now that people are voting for Romney because they don't want their religious freedoms taken away and a Muslim like Obama would never understand that.... How is it that we can have freedom of religion if our President is not allowed to be another religion besides Christian (Which btw- is complete bull that he's Muslim. He's already stated he's Christian.) But still- the question stands- how can we have freedom of religion for EVERYONE if our President isn't allowed to?

J

jimmydiggs

is complete bull that he's Muslim.
Whether he's a Muslim or not doesn't really matter as far as religious freedom is concerned.

He's already stated he's Christian.)
Saying you are a Christian does not equate to being one.

Matthew 7:22-23
Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

But still- the question stands- how can we have freedom of religion for EVERYONE if our President isn't allowed to?
I'm not hugely concerned with religious freedom, to be honest. It's great while we have what we have, I certainly don't take it for granted.

Honestly, I think the main reason why Christians in the United States have it as easy as we do, is because we are not living as bright lights in an oh so dark world. The fact that we're not highly persecuted by atheists, liberals and the sort is unsettling for me. Makes me ask: "What are we doing wrong?"

I think the doors are closing though. All you have to do is observe what the attitudes of society in general are, especially the youth.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7UyZYpeReY [/video]

M

megaman125

I've heard a few times now that people are voting for Romney because they don't want their religious freedoms taken away and a Muslim like Obama would never understand that.... How is it that we can have freedom of religion if our President is not allowed to be another religion besides Christian (Which btw- is complete bull that he's Muslim. He's already stated he's Christian.) But still- the question stands- how can we have freedom of religion for EVERYONE if our President isn't allowed to?
Well, it's not like Romney is a Christian anyways.

People trying to take away our freedom of religion will ultimately fail, one way or another. Even if they do somehow abolish our first amendment right without causing massive protests and chaos, that wouldn't stop any true Christian from being a Christian. Daniel didn't stop praying to God despite the king's decree that no one in the land will pray to anyone but the king.

Dec 19, 2009
The problem I have with Obama is that he wants to force insurance companies to pay for contraception (which means I have to pay for people's contraception through my insurance premiums). Also, I think he panders when he says he sees nothing wrong with same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is a sin (Mark 10:6-8)--our president shouldn't be giving his blessing to it.

S

smithbr8

The problem I have with Obama is that he wants to force insurance companies to pay for contraception (which means I have to pay for people's contraception through my insurance premiums). Also, I think he panders when he says he sees nothing wrong with same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is a sin (Mark 10:6-8)--our president shouldn't be giving his blessing to it.
But is it a universal sin, or only to our religion? If in another religion same-sex marriage is perfectly fine, then isn't that violating their freedom of religion?

S

spacefreak

no matter who wins the election the decleration and the constituion gives us relgious freedom and as long as this country stands the gov't has to abide by those documents. the reasons i voted for romney is because one i don't want a muslim leading my country, second obama is for abortion which is murdering GOD's children and i don't like that. even the decloration says that we have in aleinable right to LIFE liberty and the persuit of happiness adn when an aborion is performed it takes away a persons right to these rights that GOD gave us.

J

jimmydiggs

But is it a universal sin, or only to our religion?
Universal. It doesn't matter whether or not someone disagrees with God. They're still wrong if they proclaim something other than what is true.

If in another religion same-sex marriage is perfectly fine, then isn't that violating their freedom of religion?
From a constitutional perspective, I wouldn't be surprised.

From a biblical (and thus ultimate truth) perspective, freedom of religion is irrelevant.

M

megaman125

no matter who wins the election the decleration and the constituion gives us relgious freedom and as long as this country stands the gov't has to abide by those documents. the reasons i voted for romney is because one i don't want a muslim leading my country, second obama is for abortion which is murdering GOD's children and i don't like that. even the decloration says that we have in aleinable right to LIFE liberty and the persuit of happiness adn when an aborion is performed it takes away a persons right to these rights that GOD gave us.
1. Mormon's are ok, but Muslims aren't?

2. Does it really matter if Romney says he's against abortion when he's not going to do anything about it anyways?

S

smithbr8

Universal. It doesn't matter whether or not someone disagrees with God. They're still wrong if they proclaim something other than what is true.

From a constitutional perspective, I wouldn't be surprised.

From a biblical (and thus ultimate truth) perspective, freedom of religion is irrelevant.
But how do you know that it's true? How do we know for absolute fact that our way of thinking it the only truth? Yes, the Bible says so, but man wrote the Bible. Yes, God inspired it, but it's not the direct handwriting of God Himself, so how can it be absolute truth?

J

jimmydiggs

But how do you know that it's true?
It testifies of itself.

Truth is by it's own nature true. In other words, true=true and false=false.

As far as an epistemology, quite simply it is revealed.

For example:
John 16:13
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

The means through which that revelation comes is scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

The unregenerate, those without the spirit of God such as atheists, Muslims, and many who claim to be Christian do not discern what is spiritual, nor can they.

1 Cor. 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

How do we know for absolute fact that our way of thinking it the only truth?
Two things here:
In one sense, you can't know absolutely, nor can you know anything absolutely (including the statement). Which is not a problem regarding scripture, since scripture says we live by faith.

Second though, we can be assured that what scripture speaks of is truth revealed by God due to the fact that it isn't our way of thinking.

Isaiah 55:8
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

You also can assess other truth-claims by their own standards, and they fail due to internal incoherence. Christianity is the only truth claim that stands on it's own.

Yes, the Bible says so, but man wrote the Bible.
Irrelevant.
Proverbs 30:5
"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Yes, God inspired it, but it's not the direct handwriting of God Himself, so how can it be absolute truth?
See Proverbs 30:5.

It is God's word, it is flawless.

Now, specific translations have issues. The autographs do not.

S

s4t

theres only one true religion and thats the Word of God.

S

smithbr8

It testifies of itself.

For example:
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

The unregenerate, those without the spirit of God such as atheists, Muslims, and many who claim to be Christian do not discern what is spiritual, nor can they.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Two things here:
In one sense, you can't know absolutely, nor can you know anything absolutely (including the statement). Which is not a problem regarding scripture, since scripture says we live by faith.

Second though, we can be assured that what scripture speaks of is truth revealed by God due to the fact that it isn't our way of thinking.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

You also can assess other truth-claims by their own standards, and they fail due to internal incoherence. Christianity is the only truth claim that stands on it's own.

Irrelevant.

"Every word of God" so would this imply that there are different Holy Scriptures or multiple Christs if Christ is the Word of God?

"Now specific translations have issues. The autographs do not" How? Wouldn't all translations be right no matter what they said? And I'm sorry, this could just be because I'm taught I'm a heathen and a bad Christian, but I've never seen an autographed copy of the Bible by God himself...

S

smithbr8

It testifies of itself.

For example:

Two things here:

Irrelevant.

But how can there be two contradicting absolute truths? We tell others according to Christianity (and therefore, God) that God loves everyone. Oh, God also hates homosexuals. Are we saying that God has lied in one of these statements? We should love the Lord with all our heart, mind and soul. We should fear Him. But there is no fear in love.......what? If every translation is the word of God and is absolutely true and we are not to interpret the word of God, then these statements can not both be true...

M

megaman125

"Every word of God" so would this imply that there are different Holy Scriptures or multiple Christs if Christ is the Word of God?
So now you're going with the "let's pretend Christians are all gullible and believe everything that everyone says, so if they say they have a message from God, then it must automatically be true."

Back in reality, there's this thing called discernment.

But how can there be two contradicting absolute truths? We tell others according to Christianity (and therefore, God) that God loves everyone. Oh, God also hates homosexuals.
God doesn't hate homosexuals. Blatently false statement is blatently false. God's grace and mercy is offered to everyone. There's no passage in the Bible that says "God hates homosexuals," and the link below destroys that idea.

Homosexuality

R

rauleetoe

who told you that lie? The president can be whatever he or she wants to be..they just need to be sworn in by placing one hand on a Bible..
and no, Obama is not christian..look at his fruit..you will know them by their fruit..
or lack thereof..or bad fruit.

O

OFM

Roomney is loyal to God His LDS CHURCH first he would obey the church leaders allways.Obama is not a muslim if your father was muslim and you stated clearly that you were a christian does that mean your a muslim still cause ur father was,for u people it must be true think clearly.

Oct 31, 2011
OFM; ]Roomney is loyal to God His LDS CHURCH first he would obey the church leaders allways.Obama is not a muslim if your father was muslim and you stated clearly that you were a christian does that mean your a muslim still cause ur father was,for u people it must be true think clearly.
He says he is a Christian who admires the Muslim faith. God says you cannot follow two Gods. Most of the leaders in Judah and Israel followed two Gods, disaster came because of it. We are Christians following God, even in how we vote.

So, which candidate follows God? Muslims say they have their own God, not our God. Our God includes Christ, it has since the world was created. The God of Moses and Abraham included Christ. The sacrificial system was a shadow of Christ, and we are told so plainly Muslims do not have Christ. So: Muslims have a false God. Mormons say that all the bible is scripture, but they include some yahoo”s ideas from some metal he dug up on his farm. It doesn’t take much to see who we should have voted for, even if Romney was taken in by someone making up all those stories about those metal plates.

It also doesn’t take much to see that no one tried to follow God, and disaster is going to follow that makes Sandy and others look tame.

M

megaman125

So, which candidate follows God? Muslims say they have their own God, not our God. Our God includes Christ, it has since the world was created. The God of Moses and Abraham included Christ. The sacrificial system was a shadow of Christ, and we are told so plainly Muslims do not have Christ. So: Muslims have a false God.

But as one of their conversion tactics, Muslims will lie and claim that Christians worship the same god as them.

Mormons say that all the bible is scripture, but they include some yahoo”s ideas from some metal he dug up on his farm. It doesn’t take much to see who we should have voted for, even if Romney was taken in by someone making up all those stories about those metal plates.

There's a lot more wrong with Mormonism than you're making out to be. They believe Jesus was in America when he was on earth as a man, and don't believe Jesus is God the Son. They believe everyone is a "little god" and when they die they'll inherit a planet to rule over. The book of Mormonism is viewed as a "third installment" of the Bible, however, it contradicts much of the Old and New Testaments. Mormons are no more saved than Muslims.

It also doesn’t take much to see that no one tried to follow God, and disaster is going to follow that makes Sandy and others look tame.
Enough of this doom and gloom preaching. Seriously, it's old and tiresome. Evertime there's a presidental election, someone is always preaching that is person X becomes president, America is doomed. People from both sides do it, and it's almost never as bad as they make it out to be.

B

Batman007

I personally don't care what religion the president is, as long as I agree with their views and think they'd make a good leader. I believe Obama is a Christian, but if he was a Muslim or a Jew or Buddhist or even atheist, it wouldn't change my opinion of him in the least. The first amendment separates church and state. Simple as that. We're a country founded on the idea that anybody should be able to practice anything they want, including our leader.