Was Joseph (Jesus' earthly dad) really a carpenter?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tintin

I've always believed that Joseph was a carpenter (worked with wood etc.) but my parents recently went on a Bible Tour - Middle East, Turkey etc. and the tour guides told them that the English translators were incorrect in this respect as people didn't work much with wood at that point in history. Apparently, Joseph was a stone mason - worked with stone, carved stone for a living. So, is there any truth to this claim? Of course it's not a salvation issue (as to what job he had) but it's interesting all the same. Thanks for your help.

Nov 22, 2012
I've always believed that Joseph was a carpenter (worked with wood etc.) but my parents recently went on a Bible Tour - Middle East, Turkey etc. and the tour guides told them that the English translators were incorrect in this respect as people didn't work much with wood at that point in history. Apparently, Joseph was a stone mason - worked with stone, carved stone for a living. So, is there any truth to this claim? Of course it's not a salvation issue (as to what job he had) but it's interesting all the same. Thanks for your help.

They have visited Istanbul(Constantinople) and Hagia Sophia?Who were spoke to them,an Orthodox Priest?

K

kenisyes

So let's see, the fishermen who became Jesus' disciples sailed around in stone boats? The tables Jesus' turned over in the sanctuary were made of stone? The gates and doors of the city and temple and houses were made of stone? When the OT says, "make it out of acacia wood", we are translating wrong? Jesus was nailed to a stone cross? Weaving was done on a loom with a stone frame? What about all the wood preserved at Pompey? If all those houses were made of stone, why did the tops disintegrate, and the iron fittings fall out in all the archeology digs?

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Since the Word of God says he was a carpenter this should settle the matter for you.

Jan 7, 2013
You said that your parents went on a tour of the Middle East and one of the places was Turkey? It sounds like they went on a tour of Muslim nations. Am I correct?
Jesus,Joseph, Mary etc. are all mentioned in the Koran, but the Koran is a twisted counterfeit of Jewish and Christian scriptures.
According to Muslims Jesus did not die on the cross, Abraham visited Mecca, Lot was a prophet and Adam was created then cast down from heaven and landed in India.
It wouldn't surprise me then that you've been informed that Joseph was a stonemason.
Did your parents visit Israel? This is the only place of significance to Christians. If they had visited Israel then they would have been given accurate information instead of the mish-mash of twisted scripture that emanates from Islamic countries.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
They have visited Istanbul(Constantinople) and Hagia Sophia?Who were spoke to them,an Orthodox Priest?

I ask myself, how could they have visited the Hagia Sophia, Saint Sophia. It did not exist?

From the date of its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople,[1] except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931, when it was secularized. It was opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.[2

Nov 22, 2012

I ask myself, how could they have visited the Hagia Sophia, Saint Sophia. It did not exist?

From the date of its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople,[1] except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931, when it was secularized. It was opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.[2

So,what is wrong?