Watch Therefore

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 30, 2013

Bible Gem

"Watch therefore---for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning---lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Watch."---Mark 13:35-37

Question

What is mean by our Saviour's admonition to "watch"? What are some of the things we are to watch or guard against?

Answer

Keep looking up: "A company was presented before me...They were waiting and watching. Their eyes were directed heavenward, and the words of their Master were upon their lips: "What I say unto you, I say unto all, Watch."---Testimonies, vol. 2, page 192

"I was that it was impossible to have the affections and interests engrossed in worldly cares, to be increasing earthly possessions, and yet be in a waiting, watching position, as our Saviour has commanded."---Ibid., page 193

Watch the first symptom: "Watch, brethren, the first dimming of your light, the first neglect of prayer, the first symptom of spiritual slumber."---Ibid., vol. 4, page 124

Watch your habits: "Watch against old habits and natural inclinations, lest they assert themselves; force them back, and watch."---Ibid., vol. 6, page 410

Other things to watch: "Watch, lest you should speak hastily, fretfully, and impatiently. Watch, lest pride should find a place in your heart. Watch, lest evil passions should overcome you, instead of your subduing them. Watch, lest...you...become light and trifling, and your influence savor of death, rather than life."---The Faith I Live By, page 244

Watch for opportunities: "Watch over the souls whom Christ has purchased with His blood. Watch for opportunities to do them good."---Testimonies, vol. 6,page 410

Watch unto prayer: "We are to pray and watch unto prayer, that there may be no inconsistency in our lives. We must not fail to show others that we understand that watching unto prayer means living our prayers before God, that He may answer them."---Selected Messages, book 1, pages 116, 117

Be ready for Christ's coming: "We should watch and work and pray as though this were the last day that would be granted us. How intensely earnest, then, would be our life. How closely would we follow Jesus in all our words and deeds."---Testimonies, vol. 5, page 200

Pray always: "That is, be ever in the spirit of prayer, and then you will be in readiness for your Lord's coming."---Ibid., page 235

The Center Of My Joy

[Chorus 1:]
Jesus, You're the center of my joy,
all that's good and perfect comes from You.
You're the heart of my contentment, hope for all I do;
Jesus, You're the center of my joy.

[Verse 1:]
When I've lost my direction, You're the compass for my way,
You're the fire and light when nights are long and cold.
Yeah in sadness, You are the laughter, that shatters all my fears,
when I'm all alone, Your hand is there to hold.

(Jesus, You're the center of my joy,
all that's good and perfect comes from You.
You're the heart of my contentment, hope for all I do;
Jesus, You're the center of my joy.)

[Verse 2:]
You are why I find pleasure in the simple things in life.
You're the music in the meadows and the streams.
The voices of the children, my family, and my home.

image: http://static.urx.io/units/web/urx-unit-loader.gif
You're the source and finish of my highest dreams.

[Chorus 2:]
Ooh! (Jesus, You're the center of my joy),
all that's good and perfect (all that's good and perfect comes from You. )
You're the heart of my contentment, (You're the heart of my contentment ) hope for all I do...

[Vamp:]
Jesus, (Jesus) You are (You are) the center (the center) of my joy (of my joy).
You are everything, (Jesus) everything, (You are) everything, (the center) everything (of my joy). .
You’re my joy, (Jesus) in my sorrow, (You are) you’re my hope (the center) for tomorrow (of my joy)..
When am lonely, (Jesus) feeling sad, (You are) you’re the lifter (the center) of my head. (of my joy)
You’re my music, (Jesus) you’re my song,, (You are) you’re my joy (the center) all day long. (of my joy)

[Ending:]
Oh Jesus, (Jesus) You are the center of my joy,
(joy, …… of my joy.)

Read more at RICHARD SMALLWOOD - CENTER OF MY JOY LYRICS