We (MEN) could use some help from the women

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

thank you......

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I couldn't have put in words better. The only difference between a 20 yr old and a 40 year old man when it comes to this is that it does (in my opinion) get easier as you get older, but it sure doesn't go away. Dude653 said it very well in another thread, "the way you dress is the way you will be addressed." It truly breaks my heart to see so many younger ladies in the church conforming to the world in the way they dress, and then see them wondering why every guy and his brother is trying to get them in bed. Unfortunately, (more so outside the church than within) many young men seem to think that if a young lady puts their body on display, then she must be sexually available.

Yes ladies, it is possible to dress fashionably without leaving nothing to a man's imagination.

J

Jullianna

A friend of mine viewed this link (I posted it on my Facebook page) and she said that, while she agreed with it, she found herself wishing that christian guys would be more appreciative of the modest ladies by asking them out rather than the girls who dress more provocatively.

Could this be why some christian ladies don't dress quite as discretely as maybe they should?

M

Mooky

Modesty in dress, speech and behaviour is beautiful and something I aspire to, but sometimes I wonder if it is sufficient enough a deterrant to mens roving eyes and attitudes towards women - I am talking about men in general, not just christian men.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
In my experience, if you dress, speak, and act like a lady, then the vast majority of men will treat you like one, even if they aren't Christians.

Women dress provocatively because it gets them attention; I figured that out by the time I was 15. Even though I never wore anything my parents didn't approve of (and they were pretty strict), I knew exactly which clothes would get me a few more looks from the guys. I soon realized that it was nothing to play with, and I began dressing modestly because I WANTED to, not because my parents made me.

Just as men need to be especially careful to guard their eyes and thoughts, women need to guard their bodies and actions so that they don't encourage guys to stumble, and also because we need to seek Jesus' love and attention above the attention of men. It's about heart attitude, more than anything. He wants our love! :)

Besides, trading respect for attention is a pretty raw deal, in my book.

S

sllhouette

A friend of mine viewed this link (I posted it on my Facebook page) and she said that, while she agreed with it, she found herself wishing that christian guys would be more appreciative of the modest ladies by asking them out rather than the girls who dress more provocatively.

Could this be why some christian ladies don't dress quite as discretely as maybe they should?
If there is a guy that will only notice you if you dress provocatively then there is a guy you DON'T WANT TO DATE.

S

sllhouette

"The habitual difficulty in prayer is distraction. It can affect words and their meaning in vocal prayer; it can concern, more profoundly, him to whom we are praying, in vocal prayer (liturgical or personal), meditation, and contemplative prayer. To set about hunting down distractions would be to fall into their trap, when all that is necessary is to turn back to our heart: for a distraction reveals to us what we are attached to, and this humble awareness before the Lord should awaken our preferential love for him and lead us resolutely to offer him our heart to be purified. Therein lies the battle, the choice of which master to serve." - Catechism 2729

J

Jullianna

If there is a guy that will only notice you if you dress provocatively then there is a guy you DON'T WANT TO DATE.
That's probably true....but there are only a limited amount of guys on the planet :D

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I tried to instill modesty in my daughter and it just didn't work. When she was living at home it was a battle of the wills with what she wore. Her dad and I talked to her repeatedly about the message she sent by wearing tight, skimpy clothing. If a shirt had the slightest wrinkle, she thought it made her look fat. She wouldn't wear a winter coat because it made her look fat.

I asked her to explain to me what was going on in her mind. All she could say was that she thought she looked 'nice'.

Satan is alive and well in these young female minds, in terms of their self-image especially...it's a HUGE spiritual battle!

B

BlueAngel

Well, me, being a younger christian girl, I thought maybe a younger persons input would be a little different from the older persons.
Yes, I get worried when I look fat, I like being skinny, and I've been in a few spats with my mom about how I used to dress in the past.
But now, I've realized that every young man I met, just wanted me for how I looked. I was never trying to impress them, I was trying to impress myself (which never really worked).
But I had a lesson taught to me a few months ago, when I called myself ugly in front of one of my best friends. She gave me something very close to a sermon, on why I should love myself, and think I'm beautiful no mater what.
I listened to her, and since then, it hasn't mattered to me, who's looking at me, it doesn't mater who is impressed. I like the way I look. And I don't need skimpy clothing to do it. I have some adorable clothing that isn't immodest, it isn't tight, but I look skinny in it (some people have even asked if I LOST weight), and it comes from a second hand store, not a designer brand.
Since this happened, I've been impressing more than just myself, but everyone else too, and positively.
One of the key points is to love yourself. You can't give love you don't have. If you love yourself, it won't matter how you look, you'll be beautiful in more ways than just physical appearance.

Aug 2, 2009
Well, me, being a younger christian girl, I thought maybe a younger persons input would be a little different from the older persons.
Yes, I get worried when I look fat, I like being skinny, and I've been in a few spats with my mom about how I used to dress in the past.
But now, I've realized that every young man I met, just wanted me for how I looked. I was never trying to impress them, I was trying to impress myself (which never really worked).
But I had a lesson taught to me a few months ago, when I called myself ugly in front of one of my best friends. She gave me something very close to a sermon, on why I should love myself, and think I'm beautiful no mater what.
I listened to her, and since then, it hasn't mattered to me, who's looking at me, it doesn't mater who is impressed. I like the way I look. And I don't need skimpy clothing to do it. I have some adorable clothing that isn't immodest, it isn't tight, but I look skinny in it (some people have even asked if I LOST weight), and it comes from a second hand store, not a designer brand.
Since this happened, I've been impressing more than just myself, but everyone else too, and positively.
One of the key points is to love yourself. You can't give love you don't have. If you love yourself, it won't matter how you look, you'll be beautiful in more ways than just physical appearance.
Are you sure you're not 30, because you're so much wiser than your years BlueAngel! :)

B

BlueAngel

Are you sure you're not 30, because you're so much wiser than your years BlueAngel! :)
Lol.. thanks Gabe, but no, I'm not thirty... yet.... I'd like to have a family before I get to that age. :) Hopefully, God will bless me with one :)

I

iraasuup

This topic has been quite popular in here recently. So much so, it really the got me to taking more notice of the girls around me and how they dress. I have always dressed modestly, so I suppose I haven't really looked at the women around me.

My oh my! This is clearly not just an issue for the younger generation. I saw women at church this morning in their 40's and 50's who were, well, I'm not sure how I'd describe it. Kudos to them for having such a great body at their age, but oh boy, did they dress to show it off. One in particular. It made me wonder how you can go to church, and stand before God, in His presence to worship him, when you might as well be half-naked.

I noticed several intances of this at church this morning.. and then I went out to lunch with a group of friends. We invited some new younger people who are here for 4 weeks doing their teaching prac for their degree, and a couple of them are American (but now live here). This topic came up in conversation (we were talking about cultural differences) and one of the young guys mentioned that the first thing he noticed about the difference between American Girls and Aussie girls is that aussie girls wear a LOT less! This really saddened me to hear! He said it's like the complete opposite, here in Australia, the guys wear more and the girls wear less than they do in the US (according to him -he is from Cleveland if that makes any difference).

I thought, wow, that's a pretty powerful observation. I'm sure this is a huge problem everywhere, but it struck me that if a guy can fly half way across to world to a new country, and the one observation he makes is that the women here wear less clothing.. then we have a SERIOUS problem. It isvery sad. What an impression to make to a tourist? I certainly don't want to be one of those girls that American guys go home and comment about to their friends as 'wearing way less' clothing. Thought provoking!

Feb 10, 2008
I hadn't really thought about this. But I would have to say that it is pretty true. I know many guys who have that impression of Australia, without even visiting there. You could point to the beaches and weather as part of the reason for it, but is it really just that? Maybe if I get there some time, I'll have to travel around a bit and see. Maybe cold weather is actually a good thing. :)

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
I hadn't really thought about this. But I would have to say that it is pretty true. I know many guys who have that impression of Australia, without even visiting there. You could point to the beaches and weather as part of the reason for it, but is it really just that? Maybe if I get there some time, I'll have to travel around a bit and see. Maybe cold weather is actually a good thing. :)
Lol, "cold weather", huh? ;)

Don't forget, their summer is our winter, so go in July, or your trip might be one long stumble-fest..........:D

Dec 20, 2011
Posted this on my facebook and got into a conversation:

TM: Some of the clothes I've seen girls wear in church is scandalous! I honestly think no one has ever sat them down and said, "look, that's inappropriate." :(

RushBreeze: Its a sad truth.
Society and media teach women that you should use your body to get what you want, by dressing a certain way or moving in a certain way. No one bothers to sit down with these girls and say, "Hey, you know what? As a Christian woman you need to be held to a higher standard. You need to be conscious of how your body effects others."
Working at camp I remember distinctly the directors wife saying something to the idea of "When you are wearing something revealing, imagine that some man is touching every inch of exposed skin, cause that is what you are inviting them to do in their minds." Not that I've ever been a scanty dresser, but it really spoke to me.
Men obviously have to be responsible for their own thoughts, but why would we deliberately go about making their struggle any harder?

Directors Wife:Wow, I'm impressed that you remember that, Michie. You know, I always feel that this sort of message would come across better from a young, slim beautiful young lady - than from an old, frumpy overweight lady. I wonder if the younger ladies who want to show off as much skin as they can just think, "She only thinks that I should dress more modestly because she doesn't have my body!" You know? We have to say it, regardless, when it's appropriate to do so - but I do wish more young ladies would stand up for modesty. And I also recognize that it's more difficult for them to say such a thing to someone who is their peer.

RushBreeze: I totally understand what your saying. That's why I think messages like this, where its young men who are willing to step to the plate and say, "You know what, this is how your actions directly impact the people around you, and it makes it really hard for me as a Christian man to keep my thoughts pure when I'm being constantly bombarded by sexual messages and scantily clad women. The last place I need to be encountering this is Church and other Christian environments."
Camp is/was one of the biggest deciding factors in what I wear. I think, is this something I would be ashamed to wear at camp? If so, why am I wearing it? My mom has been pretty good about making sure I am dressing modestly, but you were able to articulate why its important.
Also you are beautiful!