we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012

Mark Chapter 9 (NIV)
“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.” 39“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us. 41Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

In the above passage, Jesus' disciples are complaining to Jesus about someone who was driving demons in the name of Jesus. This "someone" did not belong to the group of Jesus and his 12 Apostles.

Questions:
1) How come a stranger was using Jesus' name to drive out demons? Does this mean that when the Lord himself was on earth, God was operating parallel ministries in other places on earth?
2) Can we use this passage to say that some popular TV "evangelists" are "for" Christ?
3) Would Jesus say the same thing about these evangelists? (
39“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us.)5) What do you make of Numbers 11:26-30? Here two elders who were not among the 70 elders (that were chosen by Moses) begin to prophesy. Moses did not mind it, did he?
4)What do you make of Acts 19:13-20 (The seven sons of Sceva)? God himself stopped these crooks didn't he?

Is there a lesson to learn here about the way we must treat popular "Godmen," or the way we must treat other ministries or other Christian denominations?

N

nathan3

I think it was some one who saw what was going on, and wanted to help. They must had been a believer perhaps. because, they did'nt say that he was casting out evil spirits and failed. Just that he was casting them out in Christ name.

I shows me the Holy Spirit works in people and the disiples have nothing to do with it. God knows peoples heart.

but Christ warns in mark 13 that there are many people that believe in Christ but ;they will deceive many.

every situation is unique .to find out the good from the bad teachers is weather they teach God's word or , not.

you should use the chat room some times.

1still_waters

Mark Chapter 9 (NIV)
“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.” 39“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us. 41Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

In the above passage, Jesus' disciples are complaining to Jesus about someone who was driving demons in the name of Jesus. This "someone" did not belong to the group of Jesus and his 12 Apostles.

Questions:
1) How come a stranger was using Jesus' name to drive out demons? Does this mean that when the Lord himself was on earth, God was operating parallel ministries in other places on earth?
2) Can we use this passage to say that some popular TV "evangelists" are "for" Christ?
3) Would Jesus say the same thing about these evangelists? (
39“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us.)5) What do you make of Numbers 11:26-30? Here two elders who were not among the 70 elders (that were chosen by Moses) begin to prophesy. Moses did not mind it, did he?
4)What do you make of Acts 19:13-20 (The seven sons of Sceva)? God himself stopped these crooks didn't he?

Is there a lesson to learn here about the way we must treat popular "Godmen," or the way we must treat other ministries or other Christian denominations?
I think the answers to your questions hinge on this...

For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me
Are the folks now days really doing miracles?
If TRUE miracles are done in Jesus' name, then fine.

But most of what happens now days is a staged, emotional, counterfeit, being done under the heading

MIRACLES IN JESUS NAME..

Jesus told us about folks who thought they were doing this stuff but in reality weren't...

[SUP]21 [/SUP]“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. [SUP]22 [/SUP]Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ [SUP]23 [/SUP]And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’