What age is it right to date?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FreedomFighter827

That may be the case, but it is possible that someone the same age would be interested in getting married eventually (bearing in mind at least here you need to be 18 before you can marry, unless you seek permission from a magistrate.

W

Warrior777

What age do you all think is appropriate to date?
...when you are ready to get married to somebody that you see as a potential spouse.
Dating in itself is useless. WHEN and at what age depends on countries, societies and laws...and then of course of the maturity of the person and to be able to get married in the not too distant future.
Otherwise what good does that do? Dating around and a prolonged "going together" or however you want to call it without a commitment to the other person is just setting yourself up for problems and pain in the end, especially for people that have a harder time constraining their feelings and emotions that it will bring up.
And then it should be a courtship with the intend to make a commitment that will lead to marriage not just hit and miss dating, trying out, testing the merchandise, see if it fits whatever is in people's minds about this topic which is worldly and should not be practiced by real Christians! Something like that should be prayerfully considered on both sides! Ask for wisdom, God gives it, just ask!

Last edited by a moderator:

jangel

May 12, 2010
:eek::eek::eek: what happened it's not letting me post the whole text

B

BellaFlor

Dating should be with marriage in mind, without such a goal there is no purpose. i have enver met a 16 year old who was focused on getting married anytime soon.. i would suggest somewhere around the age or 18 or so.. but with that being said if they are overly mature for their age someone 16 or so could start dating i guess.. anything younger than that is just wrong though..

I agree with this person, I also think the person should be at a point in their life where they are prepared to handle the responsibilities of being a husband/wife. That being said, I hope to start dating in the next couple years :D

I agree with the two ones above here, as with any other that might have agreed longer on this thread. How many 13-17 year old's thinks about marriage when they see a young male they seem to be liking?

Most teenagers are more after having many crushes and fun before thinking of having anything marital in mind. I do also think that dating around is not how God intended it to be. We might feel charmed by someone at a young age, still, it doesn't always means one is ready for jumping into any relationship.

When one feels ready to getting married, then one is free to getting known with others of the opposite sex. And when I am saying getting known I don't mean one is to fly from guy/girl to guy/girl having fun as in the modern way of dating, and trying out as many as possible. I see it more as reaching someone in a more mature level getting known as in friends, praying to God, and then, God will answer and show you who you are to marry. :)

E

eric135

Psychologically, The brain completes most of its development by 21-22. I don't think I'd want to get married before that...

T

timbo2computers

well im 20 and NEVER let my relationships past the "Just friends" stage. A: because i dont want a girl friend i kinda would prefer a boyfriend B: i never felt "in LOVE" with any of my special friends so why date? C: there is no rush right? plenty of single older girls now so when im older and more mature there will still be some around im sure.

im going to keap working on my self till god brings along the right girl. i would hate to miss out on the girl god wants for me because i was dating the hottie down the hall.

WISH ME LUCK! lol

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

well im 20 and NEVER let my relationships past the "Just friends" stage. A: because i dont want a girl friend i kinda would prefer a boyfriend B: i never felt "in LOVE" with any of my special friends so why date? C: there is no rush right? plenty of single older girls now so when im older and more mature there will still be some around im sure.

im going to keap working on my self till god brings along the right girl. i would hate to miss out on the girl god wants for me because i was dating the hottie down the hall.

WISH ME LUCK! lol

BAM! your lookin at a single older hottie..... hold out for this one

N

NukePooch

BAM! your lookin at a single older hottie..... hold out for this one

No way...I'm holdin' out for Betty White. She was always my favorite Golden Girl...

"Rose: This reminds me of something that happened back in St. Olaf.
Dorothy: Oh, Rose, stop! Rose, why is it that every time one of us makes an observation, the first thing we hear from you is "Back in St. Olaf?" I mean, did it ever occur to you that maybe we're tired of hearing "Back in St. Olaf," "Back in St. Olaf," "Back in St. Olaf!"
Rose: Gee, no, I... I'm sorry.
Dorothy: Oh... that's okay.
Rose: [pauses for a moment to rethink her approach] Back in that town whose name you're tired of hearing...
Dorothy: ROSE!"

T

timbo2computers

betty white is beautiful. id marry her lol

K

kiwi_OT

Dating is such an awful loose term.

The first thing Id like to say is, dont date unless you have the intention to marry.

Then you ask "Aww but I dont want to be socially inempt."
Learn to network and observe. Build relationships with families in your church. And allow others to do the same to you. Let them see your gifts and passions, allow God to work this stuff through the grapevine when other women hear about what your like as a person. Also let them observe you (women I mean).

I personally hate the phrase dating - look up courting and let that definition guide you instead

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

betty white is beautiful. id marry her lol

See! now you have great taste in women!

but on a more serious note. Im 27 and im still waiting for my mommy and daddy to tell me i can date.