What can we do to help Lazy and Homeless Drug Abusers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LANCY

When I joined this forum, I thought it was going to be about Christians sharing their faith and helping one another to strengthen their relationship with our Lord and Savior. Instead, I am finding a lot of threads that start off with someone asking a loaded question just so they can rebuke the answers they get.

For instance the one asking “What Would Jesus Do For Lazy And Homeless Drug Abusers”.No matter what answer was given; the thread author turned the tables and questioned that person’s knowledge of scripture and/or their faith.

Because I am not fond of this type of thread, I am going to hijack it. My question to my fellow Christians is “What can we do to help Lazy and Homeless Drug Abusers?”

A

Ariel82

stop labeling them lazy and find the root of why they started and continue to abuse drugs to begin with...then help them find tools to overcome and reasons to live more godly lives...

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Mathew25:44
They, too, will ask, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or as a stranger ... thirsting, or a stranger, or naked, or ill, or in prison, and have not ministered to thee

O

OFM

love them serve them as OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST WHAT THAT IS AS Mary said at the Weding on the wine issue >do what ever He (Jesus) tells you.

W

wwjd_kilden

Give them a chance

SOME of them do indeed do drugs for "fun" or to rebel and could use a good long stern speech.
However, once they have gotten stuck in this mode, even those can't just "stop it and get their act together".

For the homeless/ beggars:
We have a large problem nowdays with Romanians who come to Norway to beg in the streets. (Literally, that is their purpose of coming here).
I never give them money, because I don't see how that could ever solve anything. Ironically, they are not allowed to get a job (but they are allowed to beg)....

That doesn't seem to be a good solution to the problem.... Especially not as those few who are criminals get away with it, giving them all a label of unwanted people.
If they got the chance to be helpful, maybe people would be more welcoming.

O

OFM

i give money sometimes or buy a meal they may need i pray before i do it.but we should love them and pray 4 them allways.

L

LANCY

Give them a chance

SOME of them do indeed do drugs for "fun" or to rebel and could use a good long stern speech.
However, once they have gotten stuck in this mode, even those can't just "stop it and get their act together".

For the homeless/ beggars:
We have a large problem nowdays with Romanians who come to Norway to beg in the streets. (Literally, that is their purpose of coming here).
I never give them money, because I don't see how that could ever solve anything. Ironically, they are not allowed to get a job (but they are allowed to beg)....

That doesn't seem to be a good solution to the problem.... Especially not as those few who are criminals get away with it, giving them all a label of unwanted people.
If they got the chance to be helpful, maybe people would be more welcoming.
If the people were to stop doing drugs would they beable to get a job?

L

LANCY

I will give money or food to someone if I have it on me at the time I come across someone. There are people who say "dont give them money they are just going to use it for drugs or alcohal". My thought on that is "It is between them and God what they do with the money I give them. It is not my place to judge them".

O

OFM

some 1 gave 2 people with known drinking problems money they bought beer and got hit crossing the street and died,so be careful on giving money the law in maine says they can come after you for causing thier death.

W

wwjd_kilden

I agree with OFM. If you give money KNOWING they will use them for drugs, you are giving them the chance to hurt themselves-
Food, clothes, other stuff they might need is a good idea though.

I was not grouping the drug users and the people I was talking about getting jobs for. A drug addict needs a close follow up to function in a job, but still deserves a chance. The beggars are not allowed to work, whether addicts or not, so thus they continue begging.

O

OFM

WWJD i agree with u for sure for sure on this amen,we do not want any 1 to hurt themselfs or en-able them the means by which do do so.

O

oracle2world

Yes we are here to share our faith. And you have a good question.

Unless you are in a position to provide bona fide help (like a paid professional), stay out of it. All the way out.

When I did hurricane Katrina/Rita relief, rule #1 was staying part of the solution, and not becoming part of the problem. If you had medical issues, home issues, work issues, etc. just stay away.

I know that sounds harsh, but that is just the cold hard truth.

As much as you would like to offer help, and meet your christian ideals, you have to take care of yourself first. Like an oxygen mask on a jet plane. Make sure you can breathe and stay conscious before even thinking about helping anyone else.

Bottom line? The best help you can give? Just doing your work, spending time with your family, and connecting with your faith.

O

OFM

let thepro's help support social and church serives that have trained staff to mwork directly with them.

L

LANCY

I will give money or food to someone if I have it on me at the time I come across someone. There are people who say "dont give them money they are just going to use it for drugs or alcohal". My thought on that is "It is between them and God what they do with the money I give them. It is not my place to judge them".
I should clarify myself - when I give money, it is to a person on the street begging. I know nothing about the person such as if they are really homeless, drug abusers, etc.

The reason I said "it is not for me to judge" is becasue I know people who have stated they would not give anything to the beggers because "They are not really homeless" or "All they are going to do is buy drugs/alchohal if you give them money" to which I say "That is between them and God. It is not for me to judge"

If I were to know that someone was an addict, I would give food not money.

S

shirley

I SAY IN MY PERSONAL OPINION SHOW THEM THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST AND BE EXAMPLE OF A CHRISTLIKE CHRISTIAN ; ID HELP ANYONE THAT NEEDS MY HELP EVEN IT MEANS TO LOSE MY LIFE , JESUS SAYS TO LIVE IS TO DIE THESE AGENCYS THEY HAVE TODAY DONT REALLY HELP AT ALL ; AND SOME CHURCHES NOT ALL DONT WANNA HELP IF YOU DONT BELONG TO THAT CHURCH THEY TREAT YOU LIKE A LEPER JESUS NEVER CLOSED HIS DOOR FOR ANYONE HE LOVED THEM FOR WHO THEY WERE ; IM A SINNER I DONT BELEVE IN TURNING ANYONE AWAY OFM IS RIGHT YOU GIVE SOMETHING TO THEM THEY COULD HURT THEMSELVES ; BUT ANOTHER THOUGHT WE ARE ALL BLESSED LETS SHARE THE LOVE OF CHRIST LET GOD BE THE JUDGE HES IN CONTROL AMEN

May 28, 2012
Most drug users will sell drugs to ANYONE and try to get others HOOKED to fund their own habits.
Most often they started using drugs to avoid the real world or because they want to look COOL
in front of their friends. No one forced them to put that needle in their arm or take pills. The only
way anyone stops doing anything is if they want to stop and why should they want to stop when
they get a pat on the back and people feeling sorry for them. They lie, steal, cheat, hurt and even
murder people to get the drugs they want. Why waste time energy or money on people who clearly
will use what they get to feed their habits. They are breaking the law and should be treated as
Criminals.

O

OFM

i agree they belong in prison not beeing babyed in rehab,.