What do you do with pressure?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

KatieF

In the last few months, I've had a lot of pressure on me. I'm really struggling with my faith, my personal vow and my own inner battles.

The question in the title is actually what I'm asking myself...
Everyone around me keeps pressuring me, it's hard to fight off that pressure - I'm going to go into detail, please, pray for me. This pressure is hard...

When I was 10 years old, I made a promise to wait till marriage before going all the way with a guy. In the last few years, (I'm 23 now), it's been hard - no one understands that pressure you get as a young woman who is holding out. I'm literally the last one standing (aside from the REALLY little kids) who still holding the most precious of gifts in my family as a young adult.
The pressure has grown - basically everyone around me keeps telling me to go all the way. I remember the vow I made to myself and to God, that I would wait... but when no one stands with you, or encourages this --- its hard. I literally stand alone on this.
I'm 23, and even the people at work, or even my best friends keep telling me to "Try it out". Honestly, it's as if everything is against me, against my promise. Today I almost broke that vow - and... I'm terrified that I may be bending under the pressure and under the desire in my human nature.

How do I continue when everyone is against me? I call upon God constantly to keep my sanity (what little I have), and it's only by the slimmest chance that I can pull away. I know God stands with me, that in his word he says to "wait - that a man/woman will leave his/her family and cling to his/her spouse - and ONLY that person." (that's paraphrasing).
However, in this generation, being young and still holding onto the only gift that is of ANY value (virginity) is like the hardest when everyone around you is off doing it, and saying it's "Great"... Sometimes I think about giving in, and sometimes I think about the other side of it...

But the pressure has grown since I started living on my own. It's the hardest thing to hold on to... even with my vow, I feel I've bended a little, that I'm giving into the human flesh... How do you combat that? I keep asking God to help, that's all I can do... But it's still extremely hard. Like it was today...

I don't know what I'm going to do... I don't know how I'm going to stand up against everything - I fear giving in, yet I continually think about it. Everyone around me keeps pressuring me - even my closest friends... It's getting harder every day to remain pure, and I don't know - unless God has already set in motion his plans - how I will fight this onslaught.

I want a family so badly, I want kids so badly, but... I'm not reckless - careless - or stupid. But the pressure has brought me to my knees, and I don't know what to do... I want to give it away, but then again... I don't.

Pressure... Please... tell me how I can remain on my feet when everyone else is knocking me down... I keep praying, and I keep holding onto my faith, but it is wearing thin... Encouragement in this is rare, and I have no christian friends who stand by me - at least none that are still pure and understand the pressure I feel. They don't encourage me, in fact they do quite the opposite.

I really need to know if I really do stand alone, as a young adult, in this generation who is still holding out - and that I'm not alone in this pressure struggle... Please...I feel so alone in this battle...

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

Everyone around me keeps pressuring me... I'm literally the last one standing ... basically everyone around me keeps telling me to go all the way... even the people at work, or even my best friends keep telling me to "Try it out". ... Everyone around me keeps pressuring me - even my closest friends... everyone else is knocking me down... I have no christian friends who stand by me - at least none that are still pure and understand the pressure I feel. They don't encourage me, in fact they do quite the opposite
1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

The problem looks clear. So does the solution. Hopefully you can make the right decision and get rid of the bad company and seek out good company.

K

KatieF

Yes, I know... and yet... it's not easily done because these are people I've helped out in my life and they've helped me. I've been working to get them out of my life, but it's taking time.

Also, it's not just outside friends, it's also inner family that are not helping the relief of the pressure upon my shoulders.

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

Easily said, hardly done (double entendre intended). But there is a putting off and putting on. Putting off the bad company, putting on the good. Acquiring new friends and losing old ones takes time (if you're going to lose old friends tactfully that is). But since you seem to be at your breaking point, it would be foolish to place yourself in their company this weekend. If you can't find good company, then spend time by yourself.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Would you really break some vow you made over what other people are telling you to do???

Ok so they helped you out, if they were telling you to makeout with a lizard would you do that to???

seems silly to use the. Oh because they helped me out i should have sex with someone...

D

dmdave17

Dear KatieF,

I know it is hard, but it is the best advice you could receive. I don't believe that everyone condones premarital sex. The fact that most of your friends, acquaintances, even family members do, in my opinion, is a sign that you should move on. If they were truly your friends, etc., they would respect your choices and not try to convince you to sin. (It is almost as if the devil is manipulating them to pressure you.)

There are other sources of friendship and companionship beside the circles you currently run in. Look for believers in your church who are the same age group as you are. Seek out Christian Singles organizations in your town. Tell your family members firmly, but lovingly, that your sex life is not to be a topic of conversation. If they cannot refrain, you should move on from them too. Nobody has the right to encourage another person to sin.

Remember, a sin is a sin. It means nothing that "everybody is doing it". That just makes them all sinners.

God be with you and help you in resolving your dilemma.

P

Psalm2713

Spend more time at a good church, stick to the new friends you meet there even when it feels like they don't want you to be there. Remember we are called to love not to be loved