What do you think the birth month of Jesus is?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmyjames

I would like to hear from other's about what they think the birth month of Jesus Is and why that particular month. I've written my post so let's hear from you. No negative responses please this is only for discussion.

K

kenisyes

Right around Tabernacles. This is established by counting from the order of temple service of Zechariah, John the Baptist's father. This also accounts for the crowding at the inn, as pilgrims were on the way to/from the feast. That makes it Sept/Oct.

Independent verification was thought by the early Christians to reside in the fact that John says Jesus "dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory". This involves a parody on the Greek word for the feast of tabernacles, meaning "dwelt". The word is "skena", and matches the Hebrew work "shekinah", meaning the glory of God in visible form. John's inclusion of the phrase connecting the two words in thought to be a statement of the symbolism God would have placed in His birth.

There is a second position, that the Temple itself was in sin and following the wrong calendar. These folks use the Dead Sea Scrolls calendar. It is 364 days in a year, so in the 1400 or so years between Sinai and Jesus' birth, the calendars got six months out of sync. I do not accept this, as I do not believe that God would have failed to protect the Temple from error.

Oct 31, 2011
I think it is only important to know that the date we are given in our church calendar has never been proven to agree with the facts. With all other dates, God is very precise. It fortold the giving of the Holy Spirit, and it happened on the day foretold. We still celebrate it on that day.

Because the date the church gives us for the birth of Jesus is not verified biblically, and we are told to be careful of what comes from man and not God, I think we should watch for all our church teaches, to check everything our church says with the bible. God is watching and caring for His earthly church, too, but that doesn't mean we aren't to watch and care for it also.

R

RachelBibleStudent

there are two possibilities that can be supported from scripture and history...late september or early october...and late december...

both possibilities are based on the relative timing of the duties of zechariah's priestly division...but they assume two different starting points...