What Does a Mature Christian Look Like To You?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 24, 2022
UK
Since I became a Christian, a few years ago, I have noticed some of my more habitual sins have been replaced with a quiet life. Drinking, smoking, and hard partying until the early hours of the dawn have gone. But that wasn't really by choice. I just grew out of them.
Nothing much else has changed. I am still learning how to pray and trust God with things sow compassion and get back up when I fall.

I know some people, whom, seems to have what it takes to draw people out of their shells, share things ,encourage them, rebuke them gently, then builds them up, and consoles them. (1 Corinthians 14;3 about The prophet)

...the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation." (1 Corinthians 14:3).

I'm just interested in your experiences and what has been true for you. So I am asking, what, in your opinion, makes you believe you're in the presence of a mature christian?.

THanxs

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
Since I became a Christian, a few years ago, I have noticed some of my more habitual sins have been replaced with a quiet life. Drinking, smoking, and hard partying until the early hours of the dawn have gone. But that wasn't really by choice. I just grew out of them.
Nothing much else has changed. I am still learning how to pray and trust God with things sow compassion and get back up when I fall.

I know some people, whom, seems to have what it takes to draw people out of their shells, share things ,encourage them, rebuke them gently, then builds them up, and consoles them. (1 Corinthians 14;3 about The prophet)

...the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation." (1 Corinthians 14:3).

I'm just interested in your experiences and what has been true for you. So I am asking, what, in your opinion, makes you believe you're in the presence of a mature christian?.

THanxs
The Son is the image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:5) and the radiance if God's glory and the exact image of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3). God is holy, righteous, good, just, mercy, faithfulness, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, and so forth, so if all of these invisible aspects of His nature were in embodied in a form that we can see, then that would be the Son, who expressed those aspects of God's nature by setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to Mosaic Law, so the way to recognize a mature Christian is by seeing that they are embodying/partaking in the divine nature through following Christ's example.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

THanxs
To me a mature Christian is someone who thinks before he speaks and acts. He considers his primary goals in life and whether what he is about to do will work toward or against them.

A mature Christian doesn't get too torn up about things that hurt earthly goals, like popularity, money or long life. It's not that he is confident that God will make him rich, keep him alive a long time or protect him from animosity - it's just that he cares about other things. The things that are important to him can't be hurt by a layoff, a rumor or a bad doctor report.

A mature Christian listens a lot more than he talks. He knows enough to know he doesn't know everything, and telling people his opinion isn't the most important thing to him in a conversation.

A mature Christian doesn't need you to tell him he's right. If you are determined to be wrong he can leave you alone to be wrong, and go on about his business.

A mature Christian is not so caught up with "stuff" that he dwells on what he doesn't have. He has learned how to be content.

I'm nowhere near all that. But I'm working on it. Someday, with God's help, I'll make it there.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

THanxs
mainly, it's their actions: assisting the handicapped, praying for others, speech, knowledge, church attendance, other's testimony about the person, Christian character, behavior when tested, reaction to a sudden unpleasant experience, etc.

Dec 24, 2022
UK
To me a mature Christian is someone who thinks before he speaks and acts. He considers his primary goals in life and whether what he is about to do will work toward or against them.

A mature Christian doesn't get too torn up about things that hurt earthly goals, like popularity, money or long life. It's not that he is confident that God will make him rich, keep him alive a long time or protect him from animosity - it's just that he cares about other things. The things that are important to him can't be hurt by a layoff, a rumor or a bad doctor report.

A mature Christian listens a lot more than he talks. He knows enough to know he doesn't know everything, and telling people his opinion isn't the most important thing to him in a conversation.

A mature Christian doesn't need you to tell him he's right. If you are determined to be wrong he can leave you alone to be wrong, and go on about his business.

A mature Christian is not so caught up with "stuff" that he dwells on what he doesn't have. He has learned how to be content.

I'm nowhere near all that. But I'm working on it. Someday, with God's help, I'll make it there.
In my own experience I was looking outside at others. What I like about other Christians from an outside perspective and what I value to facilitate my growth. But this (your) answer seems to be about when we look on the inside at ourselves.
God Bless you lynx. , You have managed to direct my view on to myself and with something tangible to work with.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
In my own experience I was looking outside at others. What I like about other Christians from an outside perspective and what I value to facilitate my growth. But this (your) answer seems to be about when we look on the inside at ourselves.
God Bless you lynx. , You have managed to direct my view on to myself and with something tangible to work with.
I dunno about the inside of myself. This is what I see on the outide of others, people I know and respect. Uncle Fred, Aunt Diane, the senior pastor at my church, a lot of the elders there, even some church folks who are younger than I am - The things I listed are what I have observed in their lives.

They are what I want to be like when I grow up.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

THanxs
Often it is like coming out of a gloomy day into a warm and bright room. There are people I've known who just shine with Jesus. They don't have to say anything. One of them horrified me. He smoked! I could not understand how a smoker could be spiritual. The Lord rebuked me and said that it is not what goes into a man that defiles but the words he speaks.

That man became my mentor for the best part of 30 years. He gave up smoking eventually. He helped me through the darkest days of my life. He continually demonstrated a heart of love, compassion, giving, reality and truth that transformed lives - if they would accept it. He was not afraid to correct people if necessary. But only to get them back on track. There are a number of people who have accepted the discipline of the cross. They are those that we should listen to and learn from.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Often it is like coming out of a gloomy day into a warm and bright room. There are people I've known who just shine with Jesus. They don't have to say anything. One of them horrified me. He smoked! I could not understand how a smoker could be spiritual. The Lord rebuked me and said that it is not what goes into a man that defiles but the words he speaks.

That man became my mentor for the best part of 30 years. He gave up smoking eventually. He helped me through the darkest days of my life. He continually demonstrated a heart of love, compassion, giving, reality and truth that transformed lives - if they would accept it. He was not afraid to correct people if necessary. But only to get them back on track. There are a number of people who have accepted the discipline of the cross. They are those that we should listen to and learn from.

It's so inspiring
The way you show Jesus

Dec 24, 2022
UK
@Lynx hope I didn't trash your reality back there... you just flipped me a switch:) nice song BTW

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
I think Lynx in post #3 comes closest to what I have experienced. For me, it is very difficult to know when I am in the presence of a true Christian. They are so focused on me and my wants, needs, and interests they take away all qualities from themselves. They become nearly invisible. When they walk away, I begin the get sense that something very special has occurred. It's as if a gentle puff of pure air has drifted quietly passed.

Dec 24, 2022
UK
I begin the get sense that something very special has occurred. It's as if a gentle puff of pure air has drifted quietly passed.
Love this. I have experienced this too. It's like when someone validates me, I get a sense of relief that I am seen. I think also, after being in the presence of someone likes this for a while, it's contagious. Hopefully enough to light a fire in that we can also carry the torch,

Blessings @Seeker47

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022

THanxs
A calm good listener, fairly unshockable but with great humanity. Someone who makes it clear they believe in the Bible as the guide to life and in Jesus Christ as Saviour.
Someone who is in control of themselves, kind and who doesn't seek arguments.

Oct 2, 2023

THanxs
Hi,
mature Christians are people who have died to themselves and are now only interested in having the Life of Jesus flowing through them.
A further sign of maturity is that this transformation hasn't turned them into freaks but into people that emanate the beauty and attractiveness of Christ.
And this will look different in everybody.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
What does a mature Christian look like?

Hold on a second while I look in the mirror...

I am back.

In a word: HOT!

lol.

Seriously though, I agree with Keris' description.

Dying to one's self is a must, and they should definitely have a burden for the lost.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One thing I've noticed about people I consider mature Christians - they are slow to talk bad about people, and quick to talk good about people.

Uncle Fred is a good example. You probably won't hear one word about people or restaurants or cars he doesn't like, but he'll talk forever about people and stuff he does like. If you ask him point-blank about a bad restaurant he might say "I got bad service there" but all you'll get is one sentence... at most. But he'll fill your ears about the good times he's had with good friends at a good restaurant.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Mature Christians wreak of Christ. They take our ridiculous questions and phrase them in a way to make us look good, all the while answering the question we should have asked. When you are with them, they prefer to esteem you without you even knowing. They take no offense to our offenses, and even accept the blame for things we are guilty of. They care more for your enjoyment of a thing than their dissatisfaction with it. And they have a way of humbling you without harming you and exalting you without flattering you. You are always attracted to the Christ in them.