What does "dating" mean to you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

What is your definition? From reading this morning, it appears that it means very different things to different people.

Feb 16, 2011
I am not single but I saw this thread on the mobile site. Dating should be with respect to possible marriage if things go well. Other wise it would be insulting to the other person's feelings and a waste of their time. Dating can be spiritualy dangerous if there are not Biblical boundaries. Dating too long can lead to problems with the flesh. As the Bible says it is better to marry than to burn.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
Funny, we're doing 2-part message series on dating and relationships at church. The big "write-down" point (and I actually wrote this one down in my phone) was "Dating is a relationship deeper than friendship, leading in the direction of marriage".

That's Christian dating anyway. By the old-fashioned definition, it's called Courting. The parents of the girl I'm seeing prefer for us to call it courtship, while the church we all go to calls it dating. Just a matter of terms; it's deciding to pursue God together in a relationship deeper than friendship.

B

basschick

I see it as 'dating' is different than 'courting'. I go on fun dates with my girlfriends all the time- it's about spending time with each other, getting to know them, going out, having a good time and enjoying ourselves... Courting, on the other hand, is with someone that you could see yourself potentially marrying down the road and pursuing that kind of a relationship. Based on my view, I suppose you could say that I go on dates all the time with quite a few different people, haha!

K

keep_on_smiling

Funny, we're doing 2-part message series on dating and relationships at church. The big "write-down" point (and I actually wrote this one down in my phone) was "Dating is a relationship deeper than friendship, leading in the direction of marriage".
That's exactly how I look at dating. I don't see hanging out to get to know people as 'dating', that's simply getting to know someone. In my opinion dating is a commitment to someone and you can't or shouldn't commit to someone you don't know. I think you should know if you at least think they are someone you'd marry before you start dating them.

S

Sarawr

I don't know if the terminology is different to me as I am from the UK but to me dating is when you're hanging out with someone and getting to know them better. It's the act of going on a series of dates to see if there is a possibility there for the future.

Then when there is mutual interest that is when dating turns into courting and things get serious.

Feb 10, 2008
As you mentioned, dating does mean many things to different people. That said, I can't say that I have my own definition, but it seems like the common denominator behind all def'n of "dating" involves a guy and a girl spending time together doing activities that they wouldn't normally do individually. Intentions, commitment and affection can vary drastically and there really is no way to know going in what level the other person involved is at.

That said, there are some pretty typical definitions that I've run into:

Casual Dating - Almost no commitment, really a result of individual dates that become a pattern. This type of dating often accompanies promiscuity, but doesn't necessarily have to. People who casual date can, and do, have multiple datee's at any one time.

Christian Dating - A relationship between two christians, intended to get to know the other person and determine if they are someone worth marrying. Requires both parties be christian, dates are more formalized. Often this type of dating isn't entered into with someone you have just met.

Christ Centered Dating - Nearly equivalent to traditional courting, commitment is high and dates tend to often blur together with every day life. The intent going into the relationship is to marry the person (as opposed to find out if you want to/can/should marry them). Time spent together is often carefully managed and most dates involve some explicit time focused on God.

Obviously, there are many others that fall in between these, probably general percentage wise most fall between Christan Dating and Casual Dating; As a result I'm sure there are many more shades of dating between these two, than the Christian and Christ Centered.

Anyways, I haven't really answered your question, but sometimes just gotta get on my soap box.

Also, welcome Sarawr. You British English speakers always insist on doing things in strange ways, so you're probably right, totally different over here in the USA. But I'm sure that we do it the right way, rawr!! ;)

S

SoulMedic

I personally think dating is the process to find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Just what that PROCESS is, is up to the person. I personally don't like the old school way of just going out to places and junk. I like to chill out like friends. I want to be that persons best friend before considering them my girlfriend.

Apr 30, 2012
well im in no rush to ever be married, so dating is basically just taking a girl out having a good time, maybe a long term relationship, maybe not. I will call it exploring romantic possibilities.