What does the bible say about remarrying after divorce if there is no cheating?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bonbons2

I am divorced from an abusive man. He did not cheat on me but he nearly destroyed my mind and spiritual walk, I had to get away from him. I have been divorced 10 yrs. I am lonely and want to find a good Christian man to marry. I found one but he says its not biblical to remarry if my husband is not dead. He also divorced his wife. He feels its wrong to remarry but he said we can be close friends with no sex and no marriage. Be inlove and commited but not marry. Does that make sense? How can one be inlove and not be married to have intimacy?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
marriage is a covenant made by two souls deeply intertwined by love, this covenant says in it till death do we part however if one has broken this covenant by divorce then all the bindings and vows are now null and void. So marrying after divorce is not an issue because you already threw away the covenant you made with your earlier spouse, even if this man you like thinks till death do us part is a reason to wait till he is dead that itself doesn't matter because that vow was made between you and your ex not you and him.

At least this is how I see it however the scriptures seem to say different

Mark 10:11

And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her,
1 Corinthians 7:10-11

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.
1 Corinthians 7:39

A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.
Matthew 5:31-32
“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I think your Ex husband is wanting his cake and eat it.

You'l find many will have different views on this, I would view that abuse is abandonment. You have to ask was he a christian? (1 Corinthians 7:15). He doesn't to me as if he is, but that's not my call. By all means you can be friends to Him however, don't let him have his cake and eat it. It will only hurt you more (mentally and spiritually), and he will only bring more judgement upon himself.

Loneliness is not a good thing for anyone, But we can be satisfied in Jesus, focus your life more on Him (I'm not saying you are not).

Anyhow, it would be good if you could speak to your Pastor/minister or other ladies you can trust.

Dec 19, 2009
I am divorced from an abusive man. He did not cheat on me but he nearly destroyed my mind and spiritual walk, I had to get away from him. I have been divorced 10 yrs. I am lonely and want to find a good Christian man to marry. I found one but he says its not biblical to remarry if my husband is not dead. He also divorced his wife. He feels its wrong to remarry but he said we can be close friends with no sex and no marriage. Be inlove and commited but not marry. Does that make sense? How can one be inlove and not be married to have intimacy?
If your ex-husband has not been guilty of unchaste behavior, then I believe you are obliged to remain sexually abstinate:

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery. Matt 19:9 RSV

But is that so bad? Read this:

[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Why can’t you and your new friend refrain from physical relations?

B

bonbons2

If your ex-husband has not been guilty of unchaste behavior, then I believe you are obliged to remain sexually abstinate:

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery. Matt 19:9 RSV

But is that so bad? Read this:

[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Why can’t you and your new friend refrain from physical relations?
Because we dated a while back and we fooled around but we were very much in love. We didn't feel it was right to do and stopped. We broke up and recently got back together. He is now a reverend and very serious about serving God which is great as I do to. Always dreamed of being a pastors wife. We are still inlove and have even stronger feelings towards each other now. So the point is how do we stay close and not even touch each other ever, yet be inlove? No hope of Marraige. Just fighting the urges to not be together in a married way. How is this healthy? Isn't it better to marry than burn with lust for one another as we love each other very much?

Dec 21, 2012
Was your husband a believer in Jesus Christ? Paul has this to say if your husband never was a believer in Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:[SUP]12 [/SUP]But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.[SUP]13 [/SUP]And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.[SUP]14 [/SUP]For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.[SUP]15 [/SUP]But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.[SUP]16 [/SUP]For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?[SUP]17 [/SUP]But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Then you would have to ask that Christian man that got a divorced if his wife was never a believer in Jesus Christ, because if she was a believer..or if your abusive husband was a believer... then you cannot marry him.

Paul would say this then.

1 Corinthians 7:[SUP]10 [/SUP]And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:[SUP]11 [/SUP]But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

Incidentally, just to be clear, there is to be no sex before marriage because that is a work of the flesh called fornication.

1 Corinthians 6:[SUP]15 [/SUP]Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.[SUP]16 [/SUP]What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.[SUP]17 [/SUP]But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.[SUP]18 [/SUP]Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.[SUP]19 [/SUP]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?[SUP]20 [/SUP]For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

A lot of believers find themselves in a situation where they cannot marry even for the first time, let alone marry again, but in those times, is what we need Jesus for to place our minds on other good things and give up the life on earth to have a family when being with christian brothers & sister doing the will of God is the family to enjoy because that is the way it will be in Heaven.

But lean on the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Good Shepherd to lead you in the way you should go and to give you a peace and contentment to carry through this life should it be that you find yourself without a spouse.

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.[SUP]2 [/SUP]He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.[SUP]3 [/SUP]He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.[SUP]4 [/SUP]Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.[SUP]5 [/SUP]Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.[SUP]6 [/SUP]Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

1 Timothy 6:[SUP]6 [/SUP]But godliness with contentment is great gain.[SUP]7 [/SUP]For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.[SUP]8 [/SUP]And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

1 Peter 5:[SUP]6 [/SUP]Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:[SUP]7 [/SUP]Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.[SUP]8 [/SUP]Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:[SUP]9 [/SUP]Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.[SUP]10 [/SUP]But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.[SUP]11 [/SUP]To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Dec 19, 2009
Because we dated a while back and we fooled around but we were very much in love. We didn't feel it was right to do and stopped. We broke up and recently got back together. He is now a reverend and very serious about serving God which is great as I do to. Always dreamed of being a pastors wife. We are still inlove and have even stronger feelings towards each other now. So the point is how do we stay close and not even touch each other ever, yet be inlove? No hope of Marraige. Just fighting the urges to not be together in a married way. How is this healthy? Isn't it better to marry than burn with lust for one another as we love each other very much?
The Lord commanded us to resist sexual temptation, except within the boundaries of lawful marriage. He didn't say it would be easy.

What is unhealthy about it? It might not be comfortable but it's the healthiest thing in the world. If you really love this pastor, and if he really loves you, you can have a great relationship. Just keep your hands off each other.

B

bonbons2

The Lord commanded us to resist sexual temptation, except within the boundaries of lawful marriage. He didn't say it would be easy.

What is unhealthy about it? It might not be comfortable but it's the healthiest thing in the world. If you really love this pastor, and if he really loves you, you can have a great relationship. Just keep your hands off each other.
I think any loving relationship between a man and a women who want to be close would very much enjoy holding each other and showing each other affection. I am a very affectionate person. Hugs holding hands kisses back rubs, snuggling while watching a movie. All wonderful things I miss very much. Its normal to want to be close to someone you love. Not talking about sex.

Dec 21, 2012
Ask the Lord to help each of you to love Him more so that you do not spend time alone with each other where temptations may arise. Better to be around other people and love each other in Christ's love rather than romantic love, because when you love someone, truly love them, you would not tempt them to sin against God.

For the married.... a time will come at the pre trib rapture event where the married will be as if they were not.

1 Corinthians 7:[SUP]29 [/SUP]But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

Luke 20:[SUP]34 [/SUP]And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:[SUP]35 [/SUP]But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:[SUP]36 [/SUP]Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Since love is not boastful nor prideful, we all need His help to love Him more than the ones we love so that we think of their good in the Lord and not seek our own gains.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
What do you sense the Lord is saying to you personally about your situation when in prayer over this? Please go with that, not with everyone's opinion. I can give you mine, but it is just one more voice for you to hear. There are scriptures both for and against if you read the entire bible. Never forget that even if we misunderstand and act upon the leading we feel we are getting, we are still under grace. But do be faithful with the direction you get while praying. God will honor your acting on faith.

You have already told us what the man in your life now feels about it. You now have to decide if that is what you will be comfortable with, or move on.

Dec 19, 2009
I think any loving relationship between a man and a women who want to be close would very much enjoy holding each other and showing each other affection. I am a very affectionate person. Hugs holding hands kisses back rubs, snuggling while watching a movie. All wonderful things I miss very much. Its normal to want to be close to someone you love. Not talking about sex.
None of that would be a sin, perhaps, but I suspect lust would become a problem.

B

bonbons2

What do you sense the Lord is saying to you personally about your situation when in prayer over this? Please go with that, not with everyone's opinion. I can give you mine, but it is just one more voice for you to hear. There are scriptures both for and against if you read the entire bible. Never forget that even if we misunderstand and act upon the leading we feel we are getting, we are still under grace. But do be faithful with the direction you get while praying. God will honor your acting on faith.

You have already told us what the man in your life now feels about it. You now have to decide if that is what you will be comfortable with, or move on.[/QUOTE Thank you Joidevivre for your sound advice. Many have given great advice and I have been praying and pondering all of it. I continue to talk to this man every day often several times a day. we don't live that close so I have not gone to see him yet. I have a feeling when I do it will better tell me if this is right or not. I know him and have seen him in the past but he has changed a lot as far as his walk with God for the better. Still hangs onto habits I am not fond of but trying to over look them. Love can be blind as they say. Or we chose to be blind. He did make it clear we could never live together even if we didn't sleep together. That part is hard to accept but not sure where God is going to lead me with this. I have dated both Christians and non CHristians against my better judgement. Have not found any that effect me the way this man does as far as his humor, wit, keeping me on my toes and yet has a serious side that makes me think and I learn alot. He is not well and has many restrictions. We would not be able to do much with each other as far as going places. Much to consider.