What does the word "Law" mean in the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BenAvraham

Aug 30, 2015
...........................WHAT IS MEANT BY "THE LAW" IN THE BIBLE?.........................

Many will wonder about the "real meaning" of this word, others read it, over it, or just let it pass, But it does have an interesting background.
The word "law" in the Bible was not always as we read it. The original word in the original Hebrew language is "Torah" and this word means "Teaching and instruction" everywhere the word "law" is rendered, we must mentally read "teaching and instruction" by YHVH himself, through his chosen prophets and writers.
When the Bible was translated in the Greek language, the word was translated as "nomos" which tended towards being something "legalistic" or "legalities". When it was translated from the Greek to Latin, the word was translated as "Legis" as in "legislature" or "legislative" and finally, we have the word in English "law"
There are so many misunderstandings over this word, verses that read "not to be UNDER the law" etc.
But if we use the word as it is intended to be used, we will see something different. "Torah" as it was originally intended to be read has a deep meaning in the original "paleo-hebrew" which is "symbolisms by letters" like the Egyptian Hieroglyphs. When one reads the word "Torah" in the original ancient form, we can see the phrase '"behold, the first secure covenant" through understanding the meanings of the word pictures.
We must understand the "why?" of the Torah of Adonai. Why did YHVH give us His perfect Teaching and instruction?
1. To show us HIS perfection and Holiness, 2. To show us that we CAN NOT fulfill the commandments of a perfect and holy God. 3. To direct us to Messiah Yeshua (Jesus) who fulfilled ALL the requirements and who, through His sacrifice, made us acceptable to YHVH. 4. To teach us to live a holy and separated life style, honorable to YHVH.
There are those who teach that Israel was once "under the law" and now, "under grace" . But the truth of the matter is that "There has always been the Torah, and that there has always been grace. One is saved BY GRACE, since the time of Adam and Eve until the present time. Our righteousness is by GRACE only, when we accept Yeshua (Jesus) as our Messiah and LORD. But many teachers, rabbis from the past taught that to be accepted by God, one must adhere to the Mitzvoth (commandments) of the Torah, Paul taught that this was being "Under the law" the "law" was NEVER a salvation issue, accepting the one-time sacrifice of Yeshua on Calvary WAS! (and still is) We are made RIGHTEOUS by "HaDam Kadosh Yeshuah" (The Holy, without sin, blood of Jesus)
We follow the commandments of the Torah as A RESULT OF our salvation, and not 'in order to be saved"
Many think that the "Law" has ended, by the verse "The End of the law is Christ" but when we look closely, the word "end" rendered correctly in the Greek means "the end result of" . If we look at it, we can say;
"The end result of The Torah of YHVH, is Messiah Yeshua" the Torah points us to HIM, and was NEVER dissolved, but FULFILLED. Now we follow the commandments to live a life that is acceptable by God, as one obeys his or her parents, BECAUSE we love them. so therefore, if we Love the LORD, then, as Yeshua said,
"If ye love me, obey my commandments" Not only those that He taught, but those that were from the time the Torah was given (those that can be put into practice today) of course, that does not include ALL of the 613 commandments.
Thank you for allowing me to share.

rabbi Jacob Ben Avraham
Messianic rabbi
Texas

Feb 7, 2015
Basically, "Law" means how you relate to God in direction, teaching, instruction, or doctrine.

Or was that not really a question, but just a chance to teach?

Last edited:

nogard

Aug 21, 2013
You both asked the question and gave the answer in one post. How convenient!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I don't know, I think it is a pretty good OP. A different view of the law, since we seem to have lost MarcR and his insight into the OT from his Jewish upbringing lately!

Feb 7, 2015
I don't know, I think it is a pretty good OP. A different view of the law, since we seem to have lost MarcR and his insight into the OT from his Jewish upbringing lately!
Yeah, but you or I could also pull out our old notes and paste a quote from what we were told a Rabbi said. That's not exactly the same thing as talking with a fer-real Jew.

T

Tintin

Yeah, but you or I could also pull out our old notes and paste a quote from what we were told a Rabbi said. That's not exactly the same thing as talking with a fer-real Jew.
I'm pretty sure Marc is a Messianic Jew or Hebrew Christian.

A

atwhatcost

...........................WHAT IS MEANT BY "THE LAW" IN THE BIBLE?.........................

Many will wonder about the "real meaning" of this word, others read it, over it, or just let it pass, But it does have an interesting background.
The word "law" in the Bible was not always as we read it. The original word in the original Hebrew language is "Torah" and this word means "Teaching and instruction" everywhere the word "law" is rendered, we must mentally read "teaching and instruction" by YHVH himself, through his chosen prophets and writers.
When the Bible was translated in the Greek language, the word was translated as "nomos" which tended towards being something "legalistic" or "legalities". When it was translated from the Greek to Latin, the word was translated as "Legis" as in "legislature" or "legislative" and finally, we have the word in English "law"
There are so many misunderstandings over this word, verses that read "not to be UNDER the law" etc.
But if we use the word as it is intended to be used, we will see something different. "Torah" as it was originally intended to be read has a deep meaning in the original "paleo-hebrew" which is "symbolisms by letters" like the Egyptian Hieroglyphs. When one reads the word "Torah" in the original ancient form, we can see the phrase '"behold, the first secure covenant" through understanding the meanings of the word pictures.
We must understand the "why?" of the Torah of Adonai. Why did YHVH give us His perfect Teaching and instruction?
1. To show us HIS perfection and Holiness, 2. To show us that we CAN NOT fulfill the commandments of a perfect and holy God. 3. To direct us to Messiah Yeshua (Jesus) who fulfilled ALL the requirements and who, through His sacrifice, made us acceptable to YHVH. 4. To teach us to live a holy and separated life style, honorable to YHVH.
There are those who teach that Israel was once "under the law" and now, "under grace" . But the truth of the matter is that "There has always been the Torah, and that there has always been grace. One is saved BY GRACE, since the time of Adam and Eve until the present time. Our righteousness is by GRACE only, when we accept Yeshua (Jesus) as our Messiah and LORD. But many teachers, rabbis from the past taught that to be accepted by God, one must adhere to the Mitzvoth (commandments) of the Torah, Paul taught that this was being "Under the law" the "law" was NEVER a salvation issue, accepting the one-time sacrifice of Yeshua on Calvary WAS! (and still is) We are made RIGHTEOUS by "HaDam Kadosh Yeshuah" (The Holy, without sin, blood of Jesus)
We follow the commandments of the Torah as A RESULT OF our salvation, and not 'in order to be saved"
Many think that the "Law" has ended, by the verse "The End of the law is Christ" but when we look closely, the word "end" rendered correctly in the Greek means "the end result of" . If we look at it, we can say;
"The end result of The Torah of YHVH, is Messiah Yeshua" the Torah points us to HIM, and was NEVER dissolved, but FULFILLED. Now we follow the commandments to live a life that is acceptable by God, as one obeys his or her parents, BECAUSE we love them. so therefore, if we Love the LORD, then, as Yeshua said,
"If ye love me, obey my commandments" Not only those that He taught, but those that were from the time the Torah was given (those that can be put into practice today) of course, that does not include ALL of the 613 commandments.
Thank you for allowing me to share.

rabbi Jacob Ben Avraham
Messianic rabbi
Texas
Thanks for sharing. Helpful!

On the other side, I thought you were asking, so I also pulled out my note by Adam Clarke that helps me distinguish the parts of the Law. (Statutes, Judgement, Covenant, Commandments and those kinds of words.) Just wasn't expecting question and answer. But, thank you.

C

cmarieh

I'm pretty sure Marc is a Messianic Jew or Hebrew Christian.
You know, Jewish traditions and practices have always been fascinating to me because I do have Jewish ancestry. I would absolutely love to get a Telit (prayer shawl).

I remember a church I went to as a kid did a Passover Sader. That will always be a fond memory I can look back on.

O

oldthennew

BenAvraham,

my wife and I would like to welcome you and thank you for your OP,
it was an interesting read and informative.

Dec 9, 2011

We follow the commandments of the Torah as A RESULT OF our salvation
rabbi Jacob Ben Avraham
Messianic rabbi
Texas
We cannot follow the commandments of the law only JESUS was able to do that but he was not only 100% GOD but he was also 100% man and dominion of the earth was given to Adam who gave it to devil and the only way for man to be right before GOD was to fulfill the law and JESUS did that and now we are under Grace through Faith and we establish the law.

Mar 4, 2013
Notice that commanded and speech are spelled the same, but law (Torah) is totally different.

Commanded (tsavah) a message given to constitute order. (צָוָה) commandment meaning “The empowerment risen significantly”

Speech (tsavach) to show or feel a lively or triumphant joy; rejoice exceedingly; be highly elated or jubilant: (צָוַח)

law = (תּוֹרָה) = Torah being the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 5 books in the Bible.

A “covenant” with God is to joyfully join together with what God has spoken (Matthew 3:3) (Isaiah 40:3) (Nehemiah 8:10)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2013
Hebrew “10 commandmentsדָּבָר dabar daw-bawr' and “speakדָּבַר dabar daw-bar' are the same describing The Doorway that leads to the family/kingdom of God witnessed from the beginning. (John 3:10) (Galatians 3:24-25)

Commandments are a word spoken by implication of a matter or thing, do to a cause that results in action, the giving of advice concerning an affair, that necessitates an answer, accompanied with an explanation.The character of the One speaking is defined with what is said.

“And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.” (Exodus 34:28),

“And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded (צָוָה) you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.” (Deuteronomy 4:13)

“And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me.” (Deuteronomy 10:4)

Certain special words and concepts are worth closer consideration. This includes the Hebrew word “Torah,” the English word “testimony”, and the phrase and concept that includes the “Ten Commandments” Torah being God's testimony of Himself (His “Name”) to His children.

In Hebrew it is written as “Ten Words” instead of “Commandments” addressing Ten different things concerning God's testimony. This it to indicate Ten instructions about Ten generalized things. So it is a very good possibility that these “Ten Words” include four chapters. Exodus chapter 20 through chapter 23.

Isaiah 8:16-20
16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
17 And I will wait upon the Lord, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
18 Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

“As the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.”(Exodus 16:34) This was the pot of manna that was supposed to be kept in the Ark of the Testimony after it was constructed. (Hebrews 9:4)

And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel. (Exodus 25:22)

The Greek equivalent ismarturion” meaning evidence given by Decalogue (Ten Words/Commandments) and testified/evidenced by testimony and witness.

“And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.” (Matthew 8:4)
“Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. (1 Timothy 2:6)

“And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.(Acts 4:33)

“Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the wilderness, as he had appointed, speaking unto Moses, that he should make it according to the fashion that he had seen. (Acts 7:44)

“And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:” (Revelation 15:5)

This all has to do with God's witness of Himself that His children witness through His commandments which testify of His name/character.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
2 Corinthians 3:3-6
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
[SUP]4 [/SUP]And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

What do the words 'New Testament' mean?

Mar 4, 2013
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jeremiah 31:33

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matthew 26:28

The letter and the Spirit are not opposites. Paul begins to explain this in verse 1. "Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?"

The letter points out flaws. The letter doesn't refer to the law, for the law came from God who is "Spirit." Paul is placing "letter" and "spirit" together for a contrasting effect as he writes while explaining condemnation of the sinner by the "letter" he is not discrediting the words of God as it pertains to the spiritual person.

"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." (Romans 7:14)

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8:4)

"For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life: and through this thing ye shall prolong your days in the land, whither ye go over Jordan to possess it." (Deuteronomy 32:47)

"
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." (2 Corinthians 3:6)

Last edited:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
It means...

land-mines-ahead-6697985.jpg

(Land mines ahead)

Mar 4, 2013
And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live. (Deuteronomy 8:3)

Aug 18, 2015

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

BenAvraham

Aug 30, 2015
Hello and Shalom Cmaireh,
You can get a tallit direct from Israel at this address; hakol-letova stores.ebay.com they are used but in very good condition, I bought a Hassidic black hat from the owner since they don't sell them here in Texas, sent from Jerusalem,
just go to that web site and click on "tallits" I also make "Tzitzit" which are the "fringes" .

Ben Avraham