What is belief?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

Monday night my son (18) and I were watching Castle on ABC and the lead female (sorry, don't know her name) made the comment that she "believes in things she can see, touch, the tangible, can perceive with the senses". (I paraphrase but that's the gist of it). My son responded with "if you can see or touch it, it's not believing. You can't believe in grass".

I liked this because so many people want proof of God's existence, undeniable proof. But proof negates the need to believe. Belief accepts it as true. Without belief, free choice would be pointless. (although there still is a Flat Earth Society so I guess some facts are still subjective, lol).

I look forward to your take ...

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Monday night my son (18) and I were watching Castle on ABC and the lead female (sorry, don't know her name) made the comment that she "believes in things she can see, touch, the tangible, can perceive with the senses". (I paraphrase but that's the gist of it). My son responded with "if you can see or touch it, it's not believing. You can't believe in grass".

I liked this because so many people want proof of God's existence, undeniable proof. But proof negates the need to believe. Belief accepts it as true. Without belief, free choice would be pointless. (although there still is a Flat Earth Society so I guess some facts are still subjective, lol).

Perfect just absolutely perfect. You have a very wise son:]

K

K3LLY

You do have a very smart son. I'm impressed. I'm 25 and I never thought of it that way. Belief to me is almost like faith. You can't believe in something that you can see. But you can believe in things like Love. Love is a real thing but you can't see it. You can see the act of love but not the love itself.

Last edited:
F

FAITHFULGILLIAN

Surely you do believe in the existence of things you can see and touch?

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011

I think Daniel believed in the visions he saw because he saw them. So belief and proof aren't mutually exclusive. I just think that belief is the first step toward action. We're told to have the kind of faith that produces fruit (i.e. actions). Because if we don't believe in something, then we're not going to act on it. And if someone doesn't act on something you can tell they don't believe in it.

To me belief is action without the action. How do we accept God's gift of salvation? We don't even have to stretch out our hand to accept it. All we have to do is believe it's worth stretching out our hand to accept it. That's my perspective in a nutshell.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
But proof negates the need to believe. Belief accepts it as true. Without belief, free choice would be pointless.

You're thinking of Faith, not Belief.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Just replace the words "confidence" and "assurance" with "belief".

To have faith, you must believe, but to believe you don't have to have faith. I am using a computer right now. I don't have to have faith about it; I can see and touch it, so I believe it. I do, however, have faith that the power won't shut off before I'm done typing this post. I can't see what's going on at the power plant, but I still have faith that they will continue to supply electricity.