What is Faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

ElizabethPeter

Faith. The word “faith” is mentioned a lot in the Bible. But still, it is interpreted wrongly. Very few know what "faith" really means. Faith in what exactly? Yes, faith in Christ. But still, there's more to faith than meets the eye. Faith in Christ and what He has done for us.

Faith is Christ's baptism, death and resurrection. Not only His death and resurrection. For that won't save you. It can't. Only faith in His baptism, death and resurrection. Like it says in 1 John 5:6-8 "This is He Who came by (with) water and blood [His baptism and His death], Jesus Christ (the Messiah)—not by (in) the water only, but by (in) the water and the blood. And it is the [Holy] Spirit Who bears witness, because the [Holy] Spirit is the Truth. So there are three witnesses in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are One; and there are three witnesses on the earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree [are in unison; their testimony coincides]." It's stated so clearly in the Bible. The word of God.

But still, many were blinded to the truth. This is the truth. Have you ever asked yourself this; If Christ is sinless, how could He die for my sins? If the sole reason of Christ's death is to save mankind from all guilt and sin, then why are there people still repenting? Have you ever asked yourself that? You see, sin was the only reason Christ had to die. Because man could not fulfill the Law, Christ fulfilled it for us. The Law was made so that man could realize that they were in fact sinners and that in and only through Him (Christ) they are saved.

Like it says in Romans 3:20 "For no person will be justified (made righteous, acquitted, and judged acceptable) in His sight by observing the works prescribed by the Law. For [the real function of] the Law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character]." And when the Bible speaks of "repentance" it's not the same as going on your knees, begging God for forgiveness and doing the exact same thing over and over again.

No. The word "repentance" means to go before God, humbled. Go before God knowing that you are in fact a sinner. The fact that we sin is unchangeable. We will sin from the day we are born till the day we die. But Christ came to this earth to die for our sins. But His journey did not start at the cross. The cross is technically the 2nd part of this 3 part truth and gospel. The first is His baptism. Now you may ask, baptism? Isn't that just a symbolic act? The answer is, no. It is more than that. You see, there was and is a reason for the Old Testament.

Because the Old and New Testaments are linked to each other. It just takes the right eye to see it. In the Old Testament, the sin of Israel was paid for by the sacrificing of an animal. First, the Aaronic priesthood would pass all the sins of Israel onto the animal and then, the animal was to be killed. In the exact same way, Christ did the exact same thing. Just think of it as going to a supermarket (Remember, because man fell short and sinned, they lost all connection with God. So God taught them through the natural.) When you enter a supermarket, you don't just go to the cashier straight away right?

First, you get a particular item, and then you pay for it. Then, you leave, happily. Now, by going straight to the cross, you're technically going to the cashier first. And if you think about it. By going to the the cashier immediately, you're not going to gain anything by doing so. In the same way, you won't gain anything by going directly to the cross. First, you need to start the journey with Christ. And that journey begins at His baptism. Like I said earlier, in the Old Testament, the Aaronic priesthood passed all the sins of Israel onto the animal. And Christ being the Lamb of God, did the exact same thing. How? When He went to the River of Jordan. He was baptized by John the Baptist. Now why John the Baptist? It could have been anybody. But no. It was John the Baptist. Why? Because John came from the Aaronic lineage. Ah, now does it all start making sense? If no, then let me explain.

Further. Like it says in Matthew 3:13-17, " Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John to be baptized by him. But John protested strenuously, having in mind to prevent Him, saying, It is I who have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me? But Jesus replied to him, Permit it just now; for this is the fitting way for [both of] us to fulfill all righteousness [that is, to perform completely whatever is right]. Then he permitted Him. And, when Jesus was baptized, He went up at once out of the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he [John] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And behold, a voice from heaven said, This is My Son, My Beloved, in Whom I delight!" John was first hesitant to baptize Jesus, but Jesus said and I quote, " Permit it just now; for this is the fitting way for [both of] us to fulfill all righteousness [that is, to perform completely whatever is right]."

Now, why did Jesus say that? And if Christ's baptism is just a symbolic act, then why did this happen; "And, when Jesus was baptized, He went up at once out of the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he [John] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And behold, a voice from heaven said, This is My Son, My Beloved, in Whom I delight!" This is not a symbolic act. This is where it all began. This is where Christ took all the sins of mankind. As I said earlier, John the Baptist comes from the Aaronic lineage. Like it say in Luke 1:5 "In the days when Herod was king of Judea there was a certain priest whose name was Zachariah, [a]of the daily service (the division) of Abia; and his wife was also a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth." And we all know that John the Baptist is Elizabeth's son. This means that John was qualified to pass the sins of the world onto Jesus. It was there that Jesus became our sin bearer. John 1:29 "The next day John saw Jesus coming to him and said, Look! There is the Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the world!" Notice that John says "takes" not will take, not taken, not took. No, present tense.

Christ takes away the sins of the world. To walk with Christ, you first need to know what really transpired. You need to understand why Christ had to die. And for 3 years, to fulfill the righteousness of God, Christ walked on this earth was persecuted and vilified because the sins of humanity were upon His body. Though He was sinless, He was treated like a criminal and humiliated by the very people He came to save. Now does it all seem clear?

Now do you finally understand why Christ had to die? If the sins of the world were not on Him, there was no use of Christ dying. For our sins, someone had to die. And God did not want it to be us. Instead, He sent His only son. His one and only son. There and then Christ became our sin bearer. Like it says in 2 Corinthians 5:21 “For our sake He made Christ [virtually] to be sin Who knew no sin, so that in and through Him we might become [[a]endued with, viewed as being in, and examples of] the righteousness of God [what we ought to be, approved and acceptable and in right relationship with Him, by His goodness].

“ And notice that in that verse it said, and I quote “For our sake He made Christ [virtually] to be sin “. Sin, not sins. Christ virtually became sin for us though He knew no sin. For our sake. For you and I. And When Christ was baptized, we too were baptized with Him. When He died, we died with Him, and when He resurrected, we too resurrected with Him. Romans 6:9-11 "Because we know that Christ (the Anointed One), being once raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has power over Him. For by the death He died, He died to sin [ending His relation to it] once for all; and the life that He lives, He is living to God [in unbroken fellowship with Him].Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus." We are dead to sin.

In our Spirit, we are dead to sin. Yes, in the flesh we will sin. We were born that way. But through Christ and faith in Him and what He's done for us, we become sinless and righteous. Romans 8:10 "But if Christ lives in you, [then although] your [natural] body is dead by reason of sin and guilt, the spirit is alive because of [the] righteousness [that He imputes to you]." In and through Him, we are saved. Let the Holy Spirit enter your hearts as you believe in this truth. And let God show you the way. Have faith in God. Faith in this truth. And you shall be saved. God bless.

Nov 26, 2011
Faith is being a fully persuaded doer of the word.

Man in Sackcloth and Ashes Preaching on "True Faith to Inherit Eternal Life."
[video=youtube;9eL57nAm9Lo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eL57nAm9Lo[/video]

E

ElizabethPeter

And what is your point in here? Because sinners are the ones that get saved. Not sinless people. God came for the unrighteous, not the righteous. It says so clearly in the Bible.

Nov 26, 2011
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Genuine faith must have substance and evidence.

Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

What kind of faith?

This kind...

Rom 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
Rom 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
Rom 4:23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
Rom 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Rom 4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
Rom 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

We are saved by grace THROUGH faith because faith is the mechanic by which we are actively yielded to the grace of God and the synergy produced by grace and faith working together produces purity of heart, hence the salvation of the soul.

The blood of Christ purges the conscience of sin whilst faith purifies the heart.

E

ElizabethPeter

Faith purifies the heart. But what so many don't get, is what kind of faith? We read the Bible. Yet, we don't get so much in it. I used to not get any of it. Now, it's all so clear. The Bible was written for one specific reason, to reconcile man, with God. Sin was and is a barrier that separated us from Him. But that's the sole reason why Christ came. The Bible is a compilation of things that have happened to people, back then, spiritually. That's why it's all so nonsensical. It's recorded down for us, but God only taught man through the natural. He couldn't teach them spiritually. Why? Because you can't see spiritual changes. You can however, see natural changes. That's the Bible. And everything written in that Bible, represents one man; Christ. You probably can't see how every single verse in the Bible ties back to Christ, but it's the truth. If you read the Scriptures, and understand clearly, then you can see the links. You can unveil Christ in every verse. Faith, is belief. Believing in the unseen. But with faith, God will make you see. He'll cause your spiritual eyes to be widened. And for the first time in your life, you'll be able to see. You probably won't get the point I'm trying to bring across, but God bless. And have a good day.

Nov 26, 2011
And what is your point in here? Because sinners are the ones that get saved. Not sinless people. God came for the unrighteous, not the righteous. It says so clearly in the Bible.
Your entire post paints faith as merely "trust" without connecting that "trust " to "doing."

Look at this paragraph...

In our Spirit, we are dead to sin.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Yes, in the flesh we will sin.
1Jn 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jn 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

We were born that way. Blaming birth for sin? If humans sin by necessity due to the state in which they are born then who is to blame? Are sinners responsible for that which they by necessity must do?
But through Christ and faith in Him and what He's done for us, we become sinless and righteous. Romans 8:10 "But if Christ lives in you, [then although] your [natural] body is dead by reason of sin and guilt, the spirit is alive because of [the] righteousness [that He imputes to you]." In and through Him, we are saved. Let the Holy Spirit enter your hearts as you believe in this truth. And let God show you the way. Have faith in God. Faith in this truth. And you shall be saved. God bless.
Rom 8:10 is in the context of mortifying the deeds of the body and that those who do that will live and those who do not will perish.

You are teaching a purely forensic/positional salvation apart from the manifested righteousness which results when one is truly IN Christ.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Nov 26, 2011
Faith purifies the heart. But what so many don't get, is what kind of faith? We read the Bible. Yet, we don't get so much in it. I used to not get any of it. Now, it's all so clear. The Bible was written for one specific reason, to reconcile man, with God. Sin was and is a barrier that separated us from Him. But that's the sole reason why Christ came. The Bible is a compilation of things that have happened to people, back then, spiritually. That's why it's all so nonsensical. It's recorded down for us, but God only taught man through the natural. He couldn't teach them spiritually. Why? Because you can't see spiritual changes. You can however, see natural changes. That's the Bible. And everything written in that Bible, represents one man; Christ. You probably can't see how every single verse in the Bible ties back to Christ, but it's the truth. If you read the Scriptures, and understand clearly, then you can see the links. You can unveil Christ in every verse. Faith, is belief. Believing in the unseen. But with faith, God will make you see. He'll cause your spiritual eyes to be widened. And for the first time in your life, you'll be able to see. You probably won't get the point I'm trying to bring across, but God bless. And have a good day.
Good post. The natural is to teach the spiritual. :)

Types and shadows. :)

E

ElizabethPeter

I don't blame birth for sin. Because we sinned, we fell short of the glory of God. That's scripture. This world, is full of sin. We are sinners. Are you not going to admit that? Because until you admit that, salvation is not for you. God came to save. And those that need to be saved are those that need help. I need help. Every single day, I sin. I'll admit that. But God has put an end to sin. That's why Christ has come. Sin shouldn't be an issue. It never was, and never will be.

Nov 26, 2011
I don't blame birth for sin. Because we sinned, we fell short of the glory of God. That's scripture. This world, is full of sin. We are sinners. Are you not going to admit that? Because until you admit that, salvation is not for you. God came to save. And those that need to be saved are those that need help. I need help. Every single day, I sin. I'll admit that. But God has put an end to sin. That's why Christ has come. Sin shouldn't be an issue. It never was, and never will be.
We have all sinned but we are not to continue in sin. Through Christ we are able to overcome sin and thus go and sin no more.

1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
1Pe 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Thus this stops...

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Not the temptation but the yielding to it ceases.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

1Jn 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

E

ElizabethPeter

Are you trying to tell me that you don't sin anymore? Remember, we are still in the flesh, and as long as we're in the flesh, we will sin. "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, give to God what belongs to God". Our flesh, belongs to this world. But our spirit, now that belongs to God. God only wants what He had created. And we were all created in the likeness of His image. And take note, that "likeness of His image" doesn't mean our carnal being. It means our spirit. For God, is spirit. Not flesh. We'll sin for the rest of our lives, but Christ paid for all of that once and for all. Our sins, from the day we are born, till the day we die, have been eradicated. But my point here is, sin, doesn't determine where we go. How much we sin, or don't sin, doesn't determine whether we go to Heaven, or Hell. "Only the righteous can enter Heaven". And we aren't righteous. We can't judge another human being just because they sin differently from us. But once we're baptized with Christ, once we've died to our old self, and once we've resurrected into a new life, with Him, all that Christ is, becomes us.

Again, not so sure if you got my point.
Anyway, God bless. :)

Oct 31, 2011
When we are to have faith, it includes more than what you are quoting of the bible. It means that you know that God created you, that you can give your whole self to Him. It includes all the principles that are God's, all God's plans for our salvation, all the instructions God gives us to live abundantly. If we live by faith we give ourselves over completely to God, not only with our minds but with how our actions follow faith.

E

ElizabethPeter

And what many don't get is that actions, don't save you. God does. Salvation is for those that need to be saved. Yes, we can devote our lives fully to God. But, you can't do it forever. Sooner or later, you'll have to follow the world. You can't set yourself aside from others. God gives us the free will. It's our choice to make. And, we can use the things of this world for Him. He made this world, didn't He? Faith is belief. Believing in God and His absolute finished work. Which many don't know.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
And what many don't get is that actions, don't save you. God does. Salvation is for those that need to be saved. Yes, we can devote our lives fully to God. But, you can't do it forever. Sooner or later, you'll have to follow the world. You can't set yourself aside from others. God gives us the free will. It's our choice to make. And, we can use the things of this world for Him. He made this world, didn't He? Faith is belief. Believing in God and His absolute finished work. Which many don't know.
Very true. Amen.

Oct 31, 2011
It is true that we are not saved by our actions, it is through God’s grace. But, again, don’t limit God. Our minds must stretch to include all of God. So we are to know that about actions, but at the same time we are to understand what God has to say about actions. He says that faith without works is dead. Both are truths.

Rom 8:7 For this reason the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law--indeed it cannot,

I don’t think you ever have to follow the world. God gives peace, joy, and abundance in Him. You get up in the morning and wash, knowing God looks at it as a spiritual cleansing from sin through Christ, too. You ask God to feed your spirit. You thank Him for your breakfast. You go to work/school and do your best like God asks. If others do something contrary to God’s way like gossip, you don’t say a word of gossip but put your mind to something good, letting those who choose that way go their way as you go yours. It gets easier and easier.

E

ElizabethPeter

I'm not limiting God. I have no right to do that. He is the Creator. Much greater than me. If you don't sin (follow the world), you're not human. God sees the heart. You can't hide from it. You're on this earth. You can't just dump it. God works through me. Every day. I'm not perfect, but through Him, I am. In my spirit, I mean. And if it's easy, then it's wrong. God never said it was going to be easy. But, He did say it would all be worth it. The devil will put up a fight with those that believe right. If you're not in the fight, then how do you know you're believing right?

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
Faith is Christ's baptism, death and resurrection. Not only His death and resurrection. For that won't save you. It can't. Only faith in His baptism, death and resurrection.
The NT does not present faith in Christ's baptism as necesssary for salvation.

It presents faith in his death as necessary:
"a sacrifice of atonement through faith in his blood" (Ro 3:25).

It presents faith in his resurrection as necessary:
". . .has given us new birth through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead," (1Pe 1:3; Ro 4:25; 1Co 15:17).

But it does not present faith in his baptism as necessary for salvation, because t
here were several reasons for Jesus' baptism:
1) to fulfill all righteousness (Mt 3:14-15) - as the new eternal High Priest (Heb 7:17, 21), he had to be washed according to Mosaic regulations ( Ex 29:4, 40:12; Lev 8:5-6);

2) to publicly announce the arrival of his ministry;

3) to identify himself with man's sin.

However, the NT does not present his taking sin on himself at his baptism,
it presents it at the cross, where he was made a sin offering for us,
according to the Levitical regulations.

The Levitical sin offering is the pattern for Christ taking our sin on himself.
Sin was transferred to the sacrificial animal at the point of its sacrifice.

Christ was made a sin offering (2Co 5:21) for us, taking our sin onto himself at the time of his sacrifice, as did the animal of the sin offering, and not at the time of his baptism.
And then our sin which he bore in his body (1Pe 2:24) was nailed to the cross (Col 2:14) in him.

Christ did not take our sin on himself at his baptism, he took it at the point of his sacrifice.
The NT does not present faith in Christ's baptism as a necessary aspect of salvation.

Last edited:

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
We are saved by grace THROUGH faith because faith is the mechanic by which we are actively yielded to the grace of God and the synergy produced by grace and faith working together produces purity of heart,
Only so long as the working of grace and faith are the working of God, rather than the working of man.

hence the salvation of the soul.
Man's spirit is saved from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) at the moment he comes to saving faith,
not waiting for any synergy to purify him.