What is it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

Is it grief? Is it just plain sadness? Is it verging on depression? I'm not sure.
I don't mean to complain, but I just don't understand this all. Maybe I'm not supposed to understand it. I just wish I could understand what I'm feeling. Am I being too intellectual about it? Perhaps. So if I am, then what questions do I have to ask?
I feel like I'm just constantly white knuckling myself out of a hole. I seek the Lord. Maybe I'm not white knuckling it. Maybe it just feels like it. I feel like I'm on a ledge so close to falling off. I know the Lord is going to keep me out of the hole. I feel a little like I'm going insane.

W

wwjd_kilden

Overall you do sound very much like you are depressed. Many seem unvilling to admit this for whatever reason, but all it is, is a desciption of a long- lasting state of minde where you either feel down or numb, as if unable to feel. (plus it is often followed by overeating/ loss of apetite, increased or decreased sleep, and lack of interest in stuff one used to enjoy).

Seek up people, preferably people who are spiritually strong who can counsel you. Asking help here is a good start, but you need real life people around you to support you.

Praying for you

J

justbelieve

Is it grief? Is it just plain sadness? Is it verging on depression? I'm not sure.
I don't mean to complain, but I just don't understand this all. Maybe I'm not supposed to understand it. I just wish I could understand what I'm feeling. Am I being too intellectual about it? Perhaps. So if I am, then what questions do I have to ask?
I feel like I'm just constantly white knuckling myself out of a hole. I seek the Lord. Maybe I'm not white knuckling it. Maybe it just feels like it. I feel like I'm on a ledge so close to falling off. I know the Lord is going to keep me out of the hole. I feel a little like I'm going insane.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. IF ANY OF YOU LACKS WISDOM, HE SHOULD ASK GOD, WHO GIVES GENEROUSLY TO ALL WITHOUT FINDING FAULT, AND IT WILL BE GIVEN TO HIM. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord, he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." James 1:2 - 8

Always remember that our Heavenly Father does NOT want us to live life feeling pain, sorrow, doubt, and/ or fear. Our God is PEACE, JOY, VICTORY, STRENGTH, ABILITY, FAVOR, and sooo many more BLESSINGS! Turn to Him... ask Him what it is you are experiencing and WHY are you going through it! He will answer you AND help you to overcome what you are feeling! The key is to BELIEVE that He will reveal Himself to you and carry you through this! Spend time with our Lord Jesus EVERYDAY... read the Bible, pray, praise Him, and thank Him in advance for His healing and deliverance! GOD LOVES YOU :)

J

Jordache

Perhaps I'm lightly depressed, but I've struggled with severe depression and I know what that feels like. I am talking to people. I force myself to mingle though it's very hard... But I feel like I may be avoiding emotion out of fear. Forgive the psychology, but I've been in counseling for a while now. I had two very bad parents. They were incredibly narcissistic. My father began raping and otherwise abusing my sister and I when we were infants. My mom turned a blind eye to it. When I was abused later on in life, she blame me. She shamed me and called (and still calls me) horrible names. As a preteen and teenager she would take me to parties with her and leave me in very compromising situations with dunk men while she drank and did drugs in the next room.
Despite the fact that she never did protect me, I still wanted her to. I stopped speaking to her about two weeks ago because I finally got the guts and the grace enough to say enough is enough. She hasn't stopped. But psychologically, with the separation finally occurring, I did myself in fear. I feel like I have people grabbing me. I feel exposed all the time. I feel like I need to be protected. Thus, I believe that the separation has triggered something.

J

justbelieve

Jordache,
Oh my beautiful and precious sister in Christ... words can not begin to express how sorry I am for what you and your sister have gone through. It is my great hope and prayer that you realize that IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! NONE of what happened to you is your fault... NONE!
This may sound almost impossible to believe, but even though what happened to you and your sister was horrible... GOD CAN COMPLETELY HEAL AND FREE YOU FROM EVERYTHING... from all the pain, all the sorrow, all the memories, all the shame, all the questions, EVERYTHING! God knows what you went through and how you feel more than you do. GIVE YOURSELF COMPLETELY TO HIM... make sure you attend a good Bible-based church, surround yourself with good, strong Christians, read the Bible everyday, and PRAY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE throughout the day! HE WILL MAKE YOU WHOLE AGAIN!
Have your sister do all these things with you... you need each other's love and support!
"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, YOU WILL RESTORE MY LIFE AGAIN; from the depths of the earth YOU WILL AGAIN BRING ME UP. YOU WILL INCREASE MY HONOR AND COMFORT ME ONCE AGAIN." Psalm71: 20 and 21

J

Jordache

You are very kind JustBelieve. I truly believe that God is healing me. He has certainly done a great work in me already and He will continue it until it is perfected. My father disowned me in January because I finally told him enough was enough and he had to stop lying. I found out then that his cancer was back and he had less than a year to live. It's been a very difficult two years since this healing process began. I've had months of nights filled with complete panic as I learned a new reality. I didn't sleep hardly at all for about 3 months because he haunted me in my dreams. I heard my voice being called. I felt him. I smelled him. It was horrible. It truly was a living nightmare. While I still do have night terrors, I'm able now to ground myself in reality. I am still very broken, but God is doing a great work. On June 7th I got a call from my sister that my dad was in the hospital. For some reason the Lord had been stirring forgiveness and reconciliation in my heart, but I was waiting for a clear step to take. This was my step. She called me at 10 on a Thursday and I was in the hospital by 2 pm the next day. Grace #1: my stepmother embraced me rather than telling me to leave.
He never spoke to me. When I got there he was too weak to talk or really move much. He rolled over when I got in the room. When the time came to speak to him, I told him he was forgiven and that God have mercy on him if he asked. I then prayed for him. Shortly after that I was forced to make the decision to remove him from life-support. No one understood what it meant, so I took charge and decided. It was also my responsibility to call my siblings. So I called my pregnant sister and my brother in TN. I was able to give my brother a chance to speak to him one last time. When I got back on my phone, he was crying, "Just tell him about Jesus. Please just tell him about Jesus." My brother is the only other Christian in my family. I left around 10 that night and returned the next afternoon. Come dinner time, two of my siblings, and my stepmom and sister-in-law left to get dinner. The Lord had been speaking to me about my dad's fear of dying. As they left, I had him to myself again. The first thing I said was, "Daddy, sooner or later you will have to let go. It's ok. We'll be ok." I told him he didn't have to fear death. I told him Jesus would walk right into his hospital room and take him by the hand if he asked him to. Then I prayed for him again. He was very agitated, so I sang and prayed over him for a while. I sang the song that I sang at his funeral. I worshipped over him, and I could see a peace finally settle. Around 10pm they came in to draw blood. He's terrifed of needles, but while there was fear in his eyes, he was calm. He didn't move or make a sound, but when they left his breathing became shallow. Having watched people die, I knew what this was so I grabbed the nurse. Even with oxygen his levels were swinging between 70% and 25%. I was calm, but not at the same time. All I could think was, "He's gonna die right here and no one will be around." I tried and could not get a hold of anyone. Finally they came back. My brother and sister-in-law and I left the hospital at 1:20. I got back to the place I was staying, changed into my pj's and received the call. His breathing was getting worse. So, less than 20 minutes since we'd left we returned to the hospital. He was already gone in the 5 minutes it took for us to get there. It was 1:30am. No one left the hospital until 4:30am.
I woke up and led worship at the church I was raised in the next morning. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. But I needed to glorify God even in that time. I knew God was bigger than all my circumstances, than all the abuse my father put me through and denied, than all the grief and pain. And I needed to say it. I left the next day and planned the funeral long distance. When i came back three days later I sang two songs and gave the closing prayer at the funeral. My father was a horrible man who at times seemed to have a good heart. He was terrible in so many ways, but who am I to say that I deserve more grace or mercy than he does. What he did was dispicable. I will never discount it again. But Jesus came for sinners just like that. He came because He loves everyone and doesn't want to see anyone lost.
I am being made whole again.
On a different note: my current predicatment is that I grew up very unfeeling. Out of God's mercy, I shut off all emotion. In doing so I became half a person. Despite all the pain in my life, I've just become able to admit it in the last two years. I could talk about it before, but it's was very separate from my emotions. So now I'm learning that sadness is a part of life and you must actually feel it to overcome it. However, I've also struggled with severe depression and suicidal ideation so sometimes sadness feels like a very dark hole that I will never climb out of. I cannot differentiate the two sometimes.
I feel very broken. I'm stable on my rock, but broken. Slowly the pieces are getting put together. I'm learning triggers. I'm learning to allow myself to feel and not be afraid of it. I'm learning to allow others to love me. Two years ago anyone and everyone could run me over. Now, not only do I have people in my life who accept me and love me and will back me up, but I finally feel capable in many situations to stand up for myself. Having lived with an abusive husband for 2 years, I finally kicked him out and have not allowed him back since because he's not working on himself. I had a boss who said I was "just too curvy" for my clothes. I was perfectly professional modest. I asked several parental friends of mine. I told her she was going to have to take it up with my maker. There is still a part of me that wonders what I did as a 1 year old that was so enticing to my father, but I'm also learning who to blame. I'm an internalizer. That's why emotions are so hard for me. Many times I can't even identify them. Many times I blame myself because I don't know how to give appropriate blame. That's just me and my ongoing struggle in a nutshell... a very large nutshell.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hugs Jordache, you are in my prayers and thoughts always in Jesus.
I know the growing pains of faith can be difficult, but the reward is worth it. :)

God bless
pickles