What is love.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
Big question. Some will just say "baby don't hurt me, no more"
Some will say "God"
But try and go into details. How do you explain the feeling love.
I want to write a poem, with metaphors.
Explaining the feeling: Love.
Is love focusing on a candle flame, beside to a burning fire?
Because whenever you love, and are loved.
You see no real problems in the world, cause your world is love.
The physical world is controlled of what feelings we have inside.To take a chance, and pick up a rose with thorns,
to talk gibberish until it dies, missing it.
Temporary stuff?

Seriously, how do you explain love? how do you express it?
You can say anything you want to, but it'll be awesome if anyone could write a methaphor for love.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
[h=1]1 Corinthians 13:4-8New King James Version (NKJV)[/h]4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I wrote this poem about love many years ago... almost thirty!
I was not a Christian when I wrote this, but had started seeking.

I'm so confused
What did I do?
The Bible says I'm evil.
Have I lived most of my life
In the grips of the devil?

Why was this?
I think I know:
Insecurity had me in it's throes.
Love I was afraid to show
And so I lived in darkness.

But what is evil?
Self esteem?
Following your heart-felt dreams?

Surely God on glorious high
Takes no delight to see me cry.

His love for me I must believe
Because of Him we were conceived;
Love is where I long to be
And so live in His likeness.

But what is love?
Does anyone know
Just what it is
We're supposed to show?

What kind?
How much?
Where does it go?
Who determines our love's flow?

Are we really in control
When sitting at the wheel?
For reason still eludes me
When I think on how I feel.

Are we the same?
Are we to blame?
What forces shape our lives?

Science looks for answers
While our spirits we deprive.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
"God is love." 1 John 4:8, 16

C

Chuckt

Love is a decision.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
I feel loved when someone gives something of themselves to me. Jesus did it best.

C

Complete_In_Him

6*Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013

There are various degrees of love.. We can feel love (verb), but we aren't love, God is love (noun).

A shallow example "I love ice cream". A deeper example is loving someone more than yourself.

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Love is something that is often spoken of but rarely understood, there are many kinds of love and different measures of it as well.
There is love as the human heart understands it and there is love that comes from God. but true love compels one to do the unthinkable, to go to extreme lengths. Love is not simply an emotion or a feeling when one has the love of God in their hearts it changes them, they begin to see out of love to think out of love their desires and their will their very thinking begins to be formed from love literally fathers desires will and thinking becoming their own.

Love is what makes a Christian, and love is the most powerful motivator and is considered a nuisance to some because of how strongly it can make you do what is considered illogical in a logical world. Love is what can melt a icy heart is what can save a life a soul is what makes a person understand who God is who they are to him and in him. It is love that fuels the fire within the Lords eyes. True love is unconditional and is blind, true love doesn't focus on appearance it is focused on the person themselves.

C

coby

Some will say "God"
The physical world is controlled of what feelings we have inside.To take a chance, and pick up a rose with thorns,
Temporary stuff?

You can say anything you want to, but it'll be awesome if anyone could write a methaphor for love.
Yeah, first thing I think about when I see the title.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tojicre_Qe8

8851e29e7785d2cf54621da78902fa68.jpg
8643187640_674b3e1dd4.jpg

Dec 15, 2015
KJV.John15;12-13, 12.This is my commandmend, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.13.Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.; This higher point of love.The same as Jesus did for us.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Love is the reason we exist, and what we live for.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

May I suggest a little light reading? C.S. Lewis wrote a book entitled, "The Four Loves".

Love is a single English word which encompasses a great many concepts. For this reason, it is difficult to define adequately. Lewis does a decent job of discussing four kinds of love, and even then, his work is not exhaustive. As an aside, there are four Greek words in in the New Testament which are translated 'love' in English. Hence much confusion! :)

E

ember

well my husband and I have very different backgrounds and we were discussing love one day

he stated that love is an action...you keep loving irregardless of the actions or lack of action on the part of the other

He said that is how God loves us and you know, I think that is so

So love, becomes a verb...an action...if love is not moving forward, then has it died?

I love music...reminds me of a river the way it winds and goes up and down

if you don't mind another metaphor, love between us is like that...I think if it becomes static, it gets boring...needs to have some rocks and a change of course sometimes to keep that flow

and then there are the waterfalls :eek:

I think we want to have an experiential definition of love...

God's love is constant...like an anchor and we can be all over the place and change from day to day

Sep 9, 2014
Love is initiation. Love initiates.

Genesis 1:27
God created humanity in God’s own image,
in the divine image God created them,
male and female God created them.

1 John 4:9
This is how the love of God is revealed to us: God has sent his only Son into the world so that we can live through him.

Love takes the lead.

D

Depleted

1 Corinthians 13:4-8New King James Version (NKJV)

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
I think that's perfectly accurate, very poetic, and will take more than this lifetime to get right. :)

C

Cruisyazz

Love see's beyond what we see in the flesh. Indiscribable and unconditional

Dec 19, 2009
Some will say "God"
Temporary stuff?

Love is obeying the Lord's commandments.