What is meant by flattering lips (as referenced in Psalm 12)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GM777

Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. In regards to "flattering lips," I believe it refers to those who flatter others while having a deceitful heart. For example, flattering others to get on their good side while talking poorly about them behind their backs or feeling the opposite of what they are saying to the person in their heart.

Am I correct in this assessment, or at least on the right track? My next question, which I also think I know the answer to but want to be sure, is: Is it a sin to compliment others when we are sincere? For example, would "flattering lips" pertain to someone who you are complimenting sincerely?

Thank you all and God bless you abundantly through Jesus Christ :)

H

hattiebod

I am not very learned, so I am sure others can correct and / or add but I think the whole, verse when in context, refers to how those who do not know God, behaved. And shows how if we love God, we will behave, speak.
They speak vanity every one with his neighbor : with flattering lips and with double heart do they speak.' Ps. 12: 2
The wicked speak vanity, they speak flattery and they speak with a double heart.

' The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things. Ps.12:3

James 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire

2 Peter 2:18-19 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wontonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.

The smooth tongued man relies upon his lips and flattering speech to deceive and overcome others. Many think that because they have a gift for speaking they can say what they please, but they will recieve greater damnation.

Matt. 12::36-37 But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof on the day of judgement. For by your words thou shalt be justified and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Words we speak are very important, once said, we cannot retrieve them but we have nothing to fear if we speak in love. My mother used to say THINK before you speak:

T = Is it truthful?
H = Is it Helpful?
I = Is it Inspiring?
N = Is it Necessary?
K= Is it Kind?
If not....don't say it!! :).
God Bless, <><