What is sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

The_highwayman

Sin may be what someone chooses to do, however someone can ALSO CHOOSE to obey God. So "choice" does not equate to sin.
So what happened with Cain?
Gen 4.6-8

[SUP]6 [/SUP]And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[SUP]7 [/SUP]If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

God tells him in Verse 7 the choice is yours, SIN desires to have you, so you can chose to let have you, or you can rule over it.

We then see in verse 8, that Cain chose wrong and killed his brother....The devil did not make Cain kill his brother, he killed his borther, because he chose to give into his SIN and not do what was right...he had the choice to turn it around....he failed to.

The whole Bible pretty much sums up that SIN is your choice....

James 1.13-16 shows us the sin cycle...

SIN is not birthed without your lust, which is a choice....

The Bible says to renew our minds...if SIN were not a choice then why should we renew our minds?

Your response perfectly illustrates this...I can chose to obey God, or I can chose to SIN...

The enemy loves to tell people SIN has power over them, because he knows that if you ever gain power over SIN, then he has no more power over you...

Keep telling yourself and others SIN is not a choice and you and they will never be free from the law of Sin and Death...

it has been my experience that folks, which usually state SIN is not a choice, do not believe in Free will either....

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
So what happened with Cain?
Gen 4.6-8

[SUP]6 [/SUP]And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[SUP]7 [/SUP]If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

God tells him in Verse the choice is yours, SIN desires to have you, so you can chose to let have you, or you can rule over it.

The whole Bible pretty much sums up that SIN is your choice....

James 1.13-16 shows us the sin cycle...

SIN is not birthed without your lust, which is a choice....

The Bible says to renew our minds...if SIN were not a choice then why should we renew our minds?

Your response perfectly illustrates this...I can chose to obey God, or I can chose to SIN...

The enemy loves to tell people SIN has power over them, because he knows that if you ever gain power over SIN, then e has no more power over them...

Keep telling yourself and others SIN is not a choicer and you and they will never be free from the law of Sin and Death...

it has been my experience that folks, which usually state SIN is not a chocie, do not beleive in Free will either....
??? That's what I said.............

Jan 7, 2015
Nope ...it makes the gospel true...that we all are sinners justified by faith apart from the law of Moses...You cannot be justified by Christ and still be a sinner under the law...that's not possible! Is Christ a minister of sin? God forbid! Christ is the minister of righteousness!
Like how you added under the law in there. LOL

Galatians 2:17
But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

You can still be a sinner without the law. :)

1 John 5:17
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Romans 2:12
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in thelaw shall be judged by the law;

A

Alextor

Concerning the law Jesus said this in Matthew 5

“For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”

So the law against sin, pertaining to salvation, will remain in effect until all is fulfilled. Jesus also said this in Matthew 5

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

Man had to live in this world sinless, not breaking any commandments, for the law to be fulfilled. I give praise and thanks to the man Jesus Christ for doing this. Therefore there is no longer a law against sin pertaining to salvation because the law has been fulfilled.

However, because we still live in this world and are a part of it, we are going to sin. This flesh and blood body must return to the dust in which it came. But our spirit (who we are) will return to God. We are told this in Ecclesiastes 12

“Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.”

I’m sure that some of you are going to have a lot of questions concerning this. How can someone who is a sinner and does not believe in Jesus Christ return to God. God does not dwell with sin. Pray, study His word, learn everything you can about our Savior Jesus Christ, and listen to whom Jesus appointed to be our minister, Paul.

I love you all.

Last edited:
May 15, 2013

“For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”

So the law against sin, pertaining to salvation, will remain in effect until all is fulfilled. Jesus also said this in Matthew 5

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

Man had to live in this world sinless, not breaking any commandments, for the law to be fulfilled. I give praise and thanks to the man Jesus Christ for doing this. Therefore there is no longer a law against sin pertaining to salvation because the law has been fulfilled.

However, because we still live in this world and are a part of it, we are going to sin. This flesh and blood body must return to the dust in which it came. But our spirit (who we are) will return to God. We are told this in Ecclesiastes 12

“Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.”

I’m sure that some of you are going to have a lot of questions concerning this. How can someone who is a sinner and does not believe in Jesus Christ return to God. God does not dwell with sin. Pray, study His word, learn everything you can about our Savior Jesus Christ, and listen to whom Jesus appointed to be our minister, Paul.

I love you all.
Yes, Jesus has fulfilled the Laws; He had did every task that the Laws required them to complete in order to be redeem.

M

Mitspa

Like how you added under the law in there. LOL

Galatians 2:17
But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

You can still be a sinner without the law. :)

1 John 5:17
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Romans 2:12
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in thelaw shall be judged by the law;
Right that's the point...the purpose of the law is to make everyone under it guilty of sin...even producing sinful passion in those under the law, so that they can see their sin.
And I am justified by Christ...how can I be a sinner and righteous in Christ....its not possible!

1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 ¶ We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

M

Mitspa

I love you all.
Right He fulfilled every jot and tittle or none of it! The law is not "broken" into parts...its ceremonial and moral...its all things written in the book of the law..

K

Kaycie

Sin is knowing the good you ought to do, but choosing not to do it. (James 4:17) For example, if you know that you should read the bible to find out what God wants you to do, but you choose not to do that, that is sin.

H

haz

Right that's the point...the purpose of the law is to make everyone under it guilty of sin...even producing sinful passion in those under the law, so that they can see their sin.
And I am justified by Christ...how can I be a sinner and righteous in Christ....its not possible!

1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 ¶ We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
Very true.

Christians cannot be righteous, and a sinner.

Note 1Pet 4:18
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

There's only two groups described here.

Group 1: Righteous, saved.
Group 2: Sinner, ungodly.

People are either in group 1 OR 2. Just as we see the Bible speak of sheep v's goats, wheat v's tares, etc.

There is no 3rd group called the righteous sinner.
Any doctrine that calls a believer a sinner is in error.

john832

May 31, 2013
1Jo 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

you guys under the law have a real problem...don't you?
Where in this erudite post do you tell us WHAT sin is?

M

Mitspa

Where in this erudite post do you tell us WHAT sin is?
yep...be glad too ...lets start with hypocrisy.. If you judge others by a biblical standard you do not keep yourself, that is the sin of hypocrisy which the Lord hates above all things.

The sin of hate...if you don't love as Christ loves that means your in the darkness of sin.

The sin of unbelief, those who seek to justify themselves by the law of Moses are in the sin of unbelief because the law is not of faith.

Do you understand these sins?