What Is The Flesh?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

WebersHome

Dec 9, 2014
-
†. Rom 8:13 . . For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by
the Spirit you mortify the deeds of the body, you will live.

The word for flesh is sarx (sarx); which essentially indicates the meaty parts
of either man or beast. The meat of the human body would of course include
the 3-pound lump of flabby organic tissue housed within everyone's bony
little skull sufficing for a mind. In other words; sans the meaty part of their
body called the brain; people would not have a mind. In point of fact, it's not
all that difficult to tamper with a brain and make its owner quite mindless.

The meaty parts of the human body are the source of a human being's
human nature and it isn't all that difficult to define. Webster's says its (1)
the ways of thinking, feeling, and acting that are common to most people,
and (2) the nature of humans; especially the fundamental dispositions and
traits of humans. In a nutshell then: the flesh, as per Rom 8:13, can be
concisely defined as that which comes natural.

Ironically, it has never been okay for people to live according to that which
comes natural even though when God finished manufacturing the cosmos'
various forms of life, matter, and energy; He pronounced it all not just good;
but "very" good. In other words, God was satisfied that human nature came
out just exactly as He designed it to come out. But the odd part of that is:
mankind's creator has never wanted people to so make human nature their
lead as to exclude God having a say.

So; right from the gun, it has been God's desire that people heed their
maker rather than always and only heeding their body; and when I say
"body" I'm speaking of the senses, the impulses, and the natural
predilections and proclivities produced by the human body's organs, its
chemistry, and its central nervous system.

=======================

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Galatians 5:121, "For the works of the flesh are obvious, which are these: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, bhatred, contentions, evil jealousies, rage, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, Envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I warn you beforehand, just as I did in times past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of Yahweh."

C

chucklleheadnimrod

if I may be so bold ...
wall o text for the sake of clarity..
Genesis 6:3
And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Luke 24:39King James Version (KJV)
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:5
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Galatians 3:3
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Philippians 3:3
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Hebrews 12:9
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
i think these scripture establish the seperation between what part is flesh and what part is spirit and in that , they are seperate . humans are a binary creature , you are flesh /meat / animal ...you are also spirit .
this of course is simply my perspective . one love