What is the Gospel? And do you love it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 28, 2016
What is the gospel?

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.[SUP] [/SUP]For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,"[/1 Corinthians 15:1-4]

Now, the gospel is the 'good news' of the Christ, to all who believe to the saving of their soul. However, the gospel in not 'good news' to those who die in their sins, yea rather, it's the worst news possible, as anyone who stands outside of the gospel of the Christ, stands condemned to an eternal hell. So, we can see that the gospel does not have a universal appeal to it, as many will reject it.

There is a centrality to the gospel as it focuses upon what the Christ did for His ppl. In Matthew 1:21, and angel of the Lord told Joseph, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”[vss 20-21]

The gospel tells man of his own ruin and misery and that their only hope is to place their trust in the Christ. As we all know, we are justified by faith[Romans 5:1], but this faith is not innate in man, but rather a gift of God. We can see verses such as "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ."[Romans 10:17] So, if faith comes from hearing the message, then it is not innate, but rather, it comes from an external Source, that Source being God. Then we can also read "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."[Hebrews 12:2] Again, it is God who pioneers(KJV uses Author) and perfects our faith. To pioneer(author) means they are the one who does it. Then there is also "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."[Romans 12:3] Again, it is God who distributed faith to those in the church of Rome and was not innate in them. So, man just does not conjure up faith, but rather, it is given to them by God.

And who was it that the Christ rose for on the third day? As Paul wrote "He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification."[Romans 4:25] So, if the Christ rose for everyone, everyone would be justified, and everyone who is justified is saved. But Paul said He rose for our(the believers in proper context) justification, and not for unbelievers.

Dec 28, 2016
I was editing the OP and the five minute closed and I had to copy and paste the rest here. So this was supposed to be part of the OP, too. Sorry about that.

So, there is a clear link betwixt who the Christ died for and raised for, as He was their Surety.[Hebrews 7:22]

Now, who was it the Christ died for? John attests this "“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep,"[John 10:11] "just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."[John 10:15] Then Paul also affirms this when he wrote "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."[Ephesians 5:25]

And the reason why He died for them was because they stood condemned, even as the goats do, and the Father had given His sheep to their Shepherd and He propitiated the Father as He bore the wrath of God as He stood in their place to pay their sin debt in full. As John wrote "He is the atoning sacrifice(propitiation in the KJV) for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." Now, the reason why the 'whole world' does not mean 'all who have ever lived' is because if Christ had propitiated for 'all who ever lived' then God's wrath has been appeased for 'all who ever lived' and none would go to hell, as there would be no wrath for Him to mete out on the day of Judgment.

In closing, the gospel of the Christ, that gloriously good news, is good news for all those who believe and bad news for those who die in their sins.

Do you love the gospel of the Christ?

Nov 22, 2015
Amen. The gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is the power of God for salvation to "everyone who believes". Rom. 1:16

God so loved the world that He gave the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have heard it put this way. - He loved, He gave, we believed, we live.

Romans 10:8-13 (NASB)
[SUP]8 [/SUP] But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

[SUP]9 [/SUP] that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

[SUP]10 [/SUP] for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

[SUP]11 [/SUP] For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."

[SUP]12 [/SUP] For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him;

[SUP]13 [/SUP] for "
WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Yea, this is what I believe about the Gospel to mean the ‘good news’ of what Christ did on the Cross. The gospel is about the preaching of the cross, hence, the necessity for Christ to suffer and die, to be buried then to rise on the third day! Alleliua! Amen and Praise the Lord! Truly Christ did indeed have fulfilled those things. He has risen from the dead! That’s good news! Otherwise, if Christ did not rise from the dead then we are still most miserable. So what is faith if Christ did not rise? His death, burial and resurrection provide the only available basis for the salvation of mankind. The bible says

1 Corinthians 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
1 Corinthians 15: 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

The beginning of the Gospel of Christ is truly to his people, the JEWS yet extend to the whole world, to all nations or unto the uttermost part of the earth. Mark 1:1; 16 Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 1:8-9

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
Mark 1:16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

B

BeyondET

God's
Only
Son
Perfect
Eternal
Love

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
Amen. The gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is the power of God for salvation to "everyone who believes". Rom. 1:16

God so loved the world that He gave the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have heard it put this way. - He loved, He gave, we believed, we live.

Romans 10:8-13 (NASB)
[SUP]8 [/SUP] But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

[SUP]9 [/SUP] that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

[SUP]10 [/SUP] for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

[SUP]11 [/SUP] For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."

[SUP]12 [/SUP] For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him;

[SUP]13 [/SUP] for "
WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Yes John 3:16 is limited to those that believe. Again Romans 10:8-13 is limited to those that believe. So you are teaching limited atonement. Because whoever does not believe they are not atoned for. Jesus was a ransom or propitiation for the sins of the world, but He laid down His life for the sheep John 10:14

Matthew 1:21 “for he will save his people from their sins.” Mark 10:45 and to give his life as a ransom for many. Luke 1:77 to give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins,

Acts 16:31 “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 20:28 to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.

Romans 3:25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. Romans 5:8 God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

I Corinthians 11:24 “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you;” I Corinthians 6:20, 7:23 for you were bought with a price.…23You were bought with a price; II Corinthians 5:18 who through Christ reconciled us to himself

Galatians 1:4, 2:20 who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, …20 by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Colossians 2:13-14
having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands.

II Thessalonians 2:16 who loved us and gave us eternal comfort I Timothy 2:6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, Titus 2:14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Hebrews 2:17 to make propitiation for the sins of the people. I John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. I John 4:10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Revelation 5:9-10 And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, 10 and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.

Dec 19, 2009
What is the gospel?

"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,"[/1 Corinthians 15:1-4]

Now, the gospel is the 'good news' of the Christ, to all who believe to the saving of their soul. However, the gospel in not 'good news' to those who die in their sins, yea rather, it's the worst news possible, as anyone who stands outside of the gospel of the Christ, stands condemned to an eternal hell. So, we can see that the gospel does not have a universal appeal to it, as many will reject it.

There is a centrality to the gospel as it focuses upon what the Christ did for His ppl. In Matthew 1:21, and angel of the Lord told Joseph, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”[vss 20-21]

The gospel tells man of his own ruin and misery and that their only hope is to place their trust in the Christ. As we all know, we are justified by faith[Romans 5:1], but this faith is not innate in man, but rather a gift of God. We can see verses such as "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ."[Romans 10:17] So, if faith comes from hearing the message, then it is not innate, but rather, it comes from an external Source, that Source being God. Then we can also read "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."[Hebrews 12:2] Again, it is God who pioneers(KJV uses Author) and perfects our faith. To pioneer(author) means they are the one who does it. Then there is also "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."[Romans 12:3] Again, it is God who distributed faith to those in the church of Rome and was not innate in them. So, man just does not conjure up faith, but rather, it is given to them by God.

And who was it that the Christ rose for on the third day? As Paul wrote "He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification."[Romans 4:25] So, if the Christ rose for everyone, everyone would be justified, and everyone who is justified is saved. But Paul said He rose for our(the believers in proper context) justification, and not for unbelievers.
I think the Gospel is the story about Jesus Christ.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
Yes I love the gospel and I pray to God that I grow in that love evermore as I live on this earth.