What is the meaning of Baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

just wondering.

found this verse a few weeks ago and never heard anyone teach about being baptized into Moses. anyone have any insight?

[h=3]1 Corinthians 10:1-3[/h]10 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, [SUP]2 [/SUP]all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, [SUP]3 [/SUP]all ate the same spiritual food,

I believe these are the parallel verses....

Exodus 14

[SUP]19 [/SUP]And the Angel of God, who went before the camp of Israel, moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud went from before them and stood behind them. [SUP]20 [/SUP]So it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel. Thus it was a cloud and darkness to the one, and it gave light by night to the other, so that the one did not come near the other all that night.

[SUP]21 [/SUP]Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea into dry land, and the waters were divided. [SUP]22 [/SUP]So the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea on the dry ground, and the waters were a wall to them on their right hand and on their left. [SUP]23 [/SUP]And the Egyptians pursued and went after them into the midst of the sea, all Pharaoh’s horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.

[SUP]24 [/SUP]Now it came to pass, in the morning watch, that the Lord looked down upon the army of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and cloud, and He troubled the army of the Egyptians. [SUP]25 [/SUP]And He took off[SUP][a][/SUP] their chariot wheels, so that they drove them with difficulty; and the Egyptians said, “Let us flee from the face of Israel, for the Lord fights for them against the Egyptians.”

[SUP]26 [/SUP]Then the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand over the sea, that the waters may come back upon the Egyptians, on their chariots, and on their horsemen.” [SUP]27 [/SUP]And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and when the morning appeared, the sea returned to its full depth, while the Egyptians were fleeing into it. So the Lord overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea. [SUP]28 [/SUP]Then the waters returned and covered the chariots, the horsemen, and all the army of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them. Not so much as one of them remained. [SUP]29 [/SUP]But the children of Israel had walked on dry land in the midst of the sea, and the waters were a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.
[SUP]30 [/SUP]So the Lord saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. [SUP]31 [/SUP]Thus Israel saw the great work which the Lord had done in Egypt; so the people feared the Lord, and believed the Lord and His servant Moses.

the first paragraph reminds me of:

[h=3]2 Corinthians 2:15-17
[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]15 [/SUP]For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. [SUP]16 [/SUP]To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? [SUP]17 [/SUP]For we are not, as so many,[SUP][a][/SUP] peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ.

How the same thing can be pleasing and a light to those who are being saved but foul smelling and darkness to those left behind.

what are your thoughts?

what does it mean when it says baptized into Moses?

N

nathan3

It is a personal thing between you and God, first off. And when you decide to be baptized : It is a public declaration to God himself; that you are Christian: that you believe Christ died for your sins on the cross, and went into the tomb for 3 days, ( that is what is symbolized by being submerged into the water ) and resurrected & defeated death, and that He's the savior of the world. ( when you rise from the water )

That is it. It is written we should do this ( ordained of God for all that believe Matthew 3:13-15; Romans 6:3-5; Acts 2:37-39, etc .

I'm not getting into debates about weather it saves. I believe Christ is the one who is able to save; not by anything we do "who believe" . But it documents to God that you have faith to do things His way, and that you are a believer. But naturally Christ is who does the saving. So i would go be baptized like the Bible teaches, and ignore what men have to say about it. Go do it when you think its time to make/take that stand. It is the way, that God wants us to say, we believe in Christ.

Last edited:
N

nathan3

And good post Ariel82: did not look close at it. But i dont have any thoughts in that area.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
Baptism show we are the Lord's so having a cloud symbolize God leading Israel through the wilderness showed that they were God's people

J

jody50

Acts 2:38 says "Repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the REMISSION of your sins."
I Peter 3:21 says "Baptism does now also SAVE you not putting away the filth of the body but by the answer of a good conscience toward God".

Your sins aren't taken away until baptism according to the scriptures.

C

cooterhein

I'd say in this particular case, one aspect of baptism is being compared to a couple of significant things that happened during the exodus. I don't think it's a direct parallel in each and every way- instead, it brings your focus to one particular thing about baptism and relates it to something else. That particular thing is the fact that it's a rite- almost like a rite of passage. Being led by the cloud was also a rite of passage (in some sense) and going through the Red Sea was also a rite of passage (this one's a bit more straightforward). So that doesn't really tell you every little thing about baptism- it doesn't even really help you form key doctrine- but that is what appears to be happening there.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
The Israelites were not literally baptised as they didn't get wet while crossing the Red sea so it was a spiritual baptism identifying them with Moses, their leader, just as water baptism identifies believers with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. It also signifies public declaration of believers' deliverance from the guilt and condemnation of sin likewise I see "baptism into Moses" as the Israelites' deliverance from bondage of Egypt. Exodus 14:20 states that the pillar of the cloud was light to the Israelites and darkness to the Egyptians so it signifies God's divine protection on Israel and judgment upon the Egyptians. Also, the Red sea served as both judgment and deliverance - judgment upon the Egyptians when they drowned and deliverance of the Israelites when they passed dry land. Similarly, Jesus is both the Rock of protection and salvation to those who receive Him and a Rock of offence and stumbling stone (execute judgment) on those who reject Him. I guess this is how something can be both pleasant and light to those receptive of it as well as foul smelling and darkness to those left behind.:p