What is the right way to handle family favoritism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
My brother was favoured because he had a minor birth defect. Very minor! But it was always "poor George!" We have to give him something extra, because you and your sister have so much - Not talking money, but being good in school, athletic and having lots of friends.

Except the problem was, some boys don't do well in school when they are young. Which was my brother. He actually improved a lot in high school, but my parents always made allowances for him. He has 7 years post secondary education, but never managed to keep a job, because he didn't like being told areas to improve and not being favoured.

To make a long story short, they favoured him so much he ended up with a personality disorder, (dependent/narcissistic/borderline) and is a totally damaged human being. Not because he didn't have enough good things happening for him, but because he was babied to death, and overprotected, right into adulthood and even today. He lives in my mother's basement, and if you want a better description, just think, troll under the bridge.

So when I became a mother, I put aside jealousy, when I realized being favoured had basically ruined his life. I raised my children more or less the same as each other. They are all pretty healthy, happy people. We love our grandchildren to death. We did move closer to one pair than the others. But it was also where we wanted to live! So we talk on Skype daily, and drive the 14 hour round trip at least once a month to see them. The ones that are local, we put a lot of time into to, even though my DIL is a bit protective of the kids, we do get to babysit and play with them. She is a stay at home mom, which might be the reason, but it is not hurting the kids.

So always remember, showing favoritism is one of the worst things you can do for someone because it corrupts the soul. Be happy you are not the one being favoured, and thank God for all the good things he has done for you.

A

AboundingGrace

At the time we asked about the car, no one had mentioned to mom wanting it. If I even had an idea my niece needed a car, I wouldn't have asked, because I would have known right then what the result would be. But, its over. Done. I am going to moms this afternoon on the way home to pick up a recipe and some bowls she is returning to me. I will visit and nothing will be said because I won't bring it up, and she certainly won't! (haha, they are secretive) .... It sorta of hurts my feelings that I got so bummed out about it - because I have known all along she was the favorite and when mom told me they needed to keep the car (and they SHOULD if they need it!), my husband said to me right then -- THAT CAR WILL BE GOING TO ONE OF THE ******* (my sisters name) ..... and low and behold he was right. I didn't think it would happen. I thought when she said they needed to keep it, they needed to keep it. So much for trusting someones word. I will go and visit on Christmas day - because that is the right thing to do - but I can't hide the fact that even though forgiven, its not been forgotten. Its hard to forget being lied to.
If anything that I posted was offensive to you in any way, I apologize. I pray for you and these family situations.

M

MollyConnor

I don't think you're over it...I know I wouldn't be! LOL We are humans and it's natural to feel jealousy. If this is something you know you won't forget (maybe you have forgiven but not forgotten) you need to bring it up. You need to talk about it and work through it, otherwise you will always have a little resentment. If you don't want to bring your sister and niece into it, then don't but at least talk to your parents.

Ask them why they favor their oldest daughter. Tell them it hurts you and that it probably hurt your son too. After all that niece and your son are both their grandkids.

When parents have favorites, it creates a toxic environment for the family especially among the siblings. If they have favorite grandchildren, it's going to negatively affect your son too. Remember the stories of Jacob and Esau, and Joseph with the coat of many colors? In both of those stories the parents had favorites and that tension created disastrous consequences.

So if I were you, I would go and talk to them. But remember that if they don't want to change or admit favoritism, know that Jesus loves you more than anyone else can. Lean on Him for your support, sister! :)

Also, if you see that your son is upset about it, minister to him and let him know that you love him and that Jesus loves him too.

I'm not saying for you to go fight with your parents, but just bringing this out will help things, I think. Maybe your parents don't even know they have favorites.

Finally, after the talk, work on forgiving and forgetting. It's going to be difficult because they might not change, but at least you opened up and let them know how you feel.

I hope it all goes well, I'll be praying for you!

Cindy12

Jan 5, 2015
If anything that I posted was offensive to you in any way, I apologize. I pray for you and these family situations.
Goodness no! Not offended at all. I have taken all of this great advice to heart!! You all have done nothing but help; including you!! Thank you!

Cindy12

Jan 5, 2015
I don't think you're over it...I know I wouldn't be! LOL We are humans and it's natural to feel jealousy. If this is something you know you won't forget (maybe you have forgiven but not forgotten) you need to bring it up. You need to talk about it and work through it, otherwise you will always have a little resentment. If you don't want to bring your sister and niece into it, then don't but at least talk to your parents.

Ask them why they favor their oldest daughter. Tell them it hurts you and that it probably hurt your son too. After all that niece and your son are both their grandkids.

When parents have favorites, it creates a toxic environment for the family especially among the siblings. If they have favorite grandchildren, it's going to negatively affect your son too. Remember the stories of Jacob and Esau, and Joseph with the coat of many colors? In both of those stories the parents had favorites and that tension created disastrous consequences.

So if I were you, I would go and talk to them. But remember that if they don't want to change or admit favoritism, know that Jesus loves you more than anyone else can. Lean on Him for your support, sister! :)

Also, if you see that your son is upset about it, minister to him and let him know that you love him and that Jesus loves him too.

I'm not saying for you to go fight with your parents, but just bringing this out will help things, I think. Maybe your parents don't even know they have favorites.

Finally, after the talk, work on forgiving and forgetting. It's going to be difficult because they might not change, but at least you opened up and let them know how you feel.

I hope it all goes well, I'll be praying for you!
Thanks - I have gone back and forth over mentioning it to mom - in some ways I don't want to hurt her feelings (and it will) and don't want to hurt Dads either after all of his recent health issues and his mind isn't really right anymore, so don't want to rock his world. Plus, what if I mention it, and she ends up (behind my back) says something to my sister -- and on and on .... I sort of think that I just need to let it go and not only forgive but accept that this is just the fact and it's not changed my entire life of 50 years and won't change now.
My son is great. My son is the most loving and giving child in the world. As a matter of fact, he told me that I am making too big of a deal about it and that I shouldnt even think twice about it -- that it takes up too much negative energy. He's a sweetheart. I keep going back to the fact that it was their car, not mine to begin with, so I lost nothing. I need to get over the hurt. Thank you SO much for your kind words!!

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
All I can say is pray for a forgiving heart towards the grandparents. The fact that she was trying to hide it means she knew it was wrong, and feels guilty about it. I think the best thing as well is to be as outwardly forgiving also when interacting with your children. One thing is that the kids might, without you meaning for them to, pick up offenses toward the grandparents but also the other kids that got the car.