What is the spirit within us?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mottec

Hi:)

I have a mentall ilness that has caused me among other things to talk with bad words to my familiy. However I feel that even if this is the case, my spirit or my self worth has increased over the years. This off course is just a feeling but how is the term spirit to be understood: as part of the psyche or at an emotional level or a spiritual concept. I read that many people grow up with little spirit due to abusive from people around them but seem perfectly competent, this was the case of me. Even though my ilness started around the age of 23-24 my spirit seemed to rise. So was this a trade off, I mean did I stop paying attention to work etc for an increased self worth or am I naive to think that itspossible to have self worth when one has a mental ilness. Are there any mentions of the spirit in scripture and what activities builds it:confused:

MOttec

K

kenisyes

The mentions of spirit are all over Scripture. No one can do the topic justice in one, or even a few posts. You have a spirit that goes back to God when you die. As a Christian, you also have the Holy Spirit, God speaking through His Spirit to yours. Your illness, if it what I think it is, has nothing to do with spirit. (Tourette's syndrome, I presume) It is a mixup in how your brain functions. You start to say one thing, and something else comes out. Your brain is part of your body; it will turn to dust after you die. When you rise, you'll have a new one, and it won't get sick. You really can't "build" your spirit. You mean, I think, that you want to respond to God's Spirit more. That's easy, just keep following Jesus, pray for His Spirit to have His way in you. He'll do the rest.

W

webchatter

Self worth could be increasing because you know it. Therapists often tell patients that they have low self esteem even if the patient disagrees, because this is what they were taught. You seem very perceptive to me, so you may figure out what has caused this, but again, it was taught to the therapists that most of our issues come from abuse, inherited illness, or from our parents in some manner.Nurture or nature?
Yes you can have self worth when you are ill, it doesn't make you less valuable because you have illness.
No your soul/spirit has nothing to do with your psyche, in our way of understanding. Your soul has no illness.Emotions are just silly human stuff, although you can feel joy in your soul, it's hard to draw a line. Your soul/spirit is your telephone line to God, so to speak, we are connected there. God Bless.

B

Bea22

Hi:)

I have a mentall ilness that has caused me among other things to talk with bad words to my familiy. However I feel that even if this is the case, my spirit or my self worth has increased over the years. This off course is just a feeling but how is the term spirit to be understood: as part of the psyche or at an emotional level or a spiritual concept. I read that many people grow up with little spirit due to abusive from people around them but seem perfectly competent, this was the case of me. Even though my ilness started around the age of 23-24 my spirit seemed to rise. So was this a trade off, I mean did I stop paying attention to work etc for an increased self worth or am I naive to think that itspossible to have self worth when one has a mental ilness. Are there any mentions of the spirit in scripture and what activities builds it:confused:

MOttec
God plants a seed before the foundation of the world that one day comes to life when the Spirit waters it (quickens it, bringing it to life). The seed is the Word of God, which is spoken and must be brought to pass in Its time and season, in His Bride Body.
The Word of God is Spirit and Life and It builds the Body up, each individual member of the Body, by line upon line and precept upon precept. Hearing and believing the Word of God (which is Spirit and Life) is what causes a new birth. Not just hearing but taking It into the heart where It transforms a person bit by bit. It is a process of building a new creature and it is formed by the Word of God in the heart, bringing It to Life by the Spirit, reproducing the fruit of the Spirit, which is love joy, peace, long suffering, etc.
A type of the Spiritual union is the natural union of husband and wife who become one after marriage, she takes his name and his seed into her and reproduces life.
It is the same with the Bride of Christ. She takes His name in baptism, She takes His Word in Her heart and that Word comes to Life.
There is no other way to build the Spirit, no particular activities one must do, only hear and believe the Word of God and obey and let it not be just received in the mind, but let it be received in the heart to reproduce Life. The Word is what changes a person from the inside.
God bless you.

G

GreenNnice

Who is the Spirit within us? God, for those who, by faith, receive Him :) Don't you know, your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit ? Read 1 Corinthians 3 and 1 Corinthians 6, this is repeated, as Paul emphasized the importance of knowing this, eternally important . Happy reading, be blessed, remember, too, that the Spirit of truth teaches us all truth, this, too, 1 Corinthians Scripture . The Lord leads. Don't worry about anyone else's walk either, just 'Follow Me.' John 21:22 . And as far as our death goes, know this, as Paul says, in Corinthians too: To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord .

This is a hard Truth for some to understand but God is faithful and true and though our earthly body does die, the moment we KNOW anything more, we are WITH the Lord IF we have accepted Him as our personal Lord and Savior

Be with Him and blessings will overflow, God bless your life, Mott :)

M

Mottec

The mentions of spirit are all over Scripture. No one can do the topic justice in one, or even a few posts. You have a spirit that goes back to God when you die. As a Christian, you also have the Holy Spirit, God speaking through His Spirit to yours. Your illness, if it what I think it is, has nothing to do with spirit. (Tourette's syndrome, I presume) It is a mixup in how your brain functions. You start to say one thing, and something else comes out. Your brain is part of your body; it will turn to dust after you die. When you rise, you'll have a new one, and it won't get sick. You really can't "build" your spirit. You mean, I think, that you want to respond to God's Spirit more. That's easy, just keep following Jesus, pray for His Spirit to have His way in you. He'll do the rest.
YES its excactly what happens, I often wonder how those words came out THAT way. Thanks for the insight.

W

wwjd_kilden

Hei Mottec

As others have said: Mind, body and spirit are separate, even though the state of each of them can affect the others (Like feeling sick when nervous).

You cannot build your spirit, at least not in the same sense as you can train your mind or body to do things,
you can however "feed" your spirit with the word of God. It is compared to both bread and water in the bible.
(Amos 8, John 4, John 6 *)

* Jesus is also "the word" ref John 1

Salme 51:

12 Gud, skap i meg et rent hjerte,
gi meg en ny og stødig ånd!

13 Driv meg ikke bort fra ditt ansikt,
ta ikke fra meg din hellige Ånd!

14 Gi meg igjen gleden over din frelse,
hold meg oppe med en villig ånd!

Jul 12, 2012
Some examples of the Set Apart Spirit of YHWH being manifested by the lips of His servants:

Abraham: "And he said, Oh let not YHWH be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And He said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake."

Ezekiel: "Then fell I down upon my face, and cried with a loud voice, and said, Ah YHWH Elohim! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?"

Moses: "Yet now, if thou wilt, forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written."

Elijah: "I have been very jealous for YHWH Elohim of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."

Paul: "For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh"

Jesus: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

It is the REAL heartfelt willingness to offer up your life, possessions, reward, even your name in the book, whatever it takes, in service to God's salvation of another.

Death to "self" on behalf of others.

Peace.