What is your idea of filthy communication?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jinx

Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

I think some peoples idea of this is different than others.

where do you stand and why?

A

Ariel82

cursing and sex talk..........anything spoken out of anger or malice or jealousy.

J

jinx

yes, definitely sex jokes. my co-workers are bad about it and if I by chance here the joke I feel dirty afterwards. sometimes they tell it in my presence just to get a reaction from me.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
yes, definitely sex jokes. my co-workers are bad about it and if I by chance here the joke I feel dirty afterwards. sometimes they tell it in my presence just to get a reaction from me.

Some jokes are very inappropriate. You mentioned the term communication though now thinking about it communicating visually does that then include certain movies or tv shows? I would imagine it does

Z

Zee_Zelot

Filthy Communication
Colossians 3:8

Every kind of foul mouth, abusive or vile language,
(not just the most obvious and offensive kind)

An outbreak of a loveless spirit toward your neighbor.

john832

May 31, 2013
Vulgarity of course but also character assasination, false accusation and disdaining another.

N

nathan3

its like bad company. is the ruin of good character, or spiritual character.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
its like bad company. is the ruin of good character, or spiritual character.

Chuck Swindoll put it best. If you surround yourself with negative people who speak negatively chances are they'll begin to rub off on you especially if there are more of them than you. It usually does not happen the other way around; He says "If you drop a white glove into the mud, the glove will get muddy but the mud will never get glovey."

E

enoch1nine

I think when Jesus said "drink my blood" it was considered vulgar speech by the religious types of the day.

But I think the vulgarity lies in the intention behind the words instead of the actual word.

For example, if I refer to an annoying dog as an F'ing dog, I do not use filthy communication.
If I say F you to someone to express inner murder, I use filthy communication.

- edited for those with social vices.

Oct 31, 2011
Our mind is a wonderful instrument.. It is never still, even in sleep there are dreams. What we put in it is important. There is even a part of it called the subconscious mind we can program through emotion, or listening when we are quiet inside. If you will yourself to listen to the thoughts that run through it all day long, it tells a lot about what is in the subconscious mind, the part that runs us all the time more than what we think with our conscious minds.

So that movie that talks about evil, the stories children are so quietly engrossed in, that hurtful remark someone made or many other things we think mean nothing to us, becomes part of us, too. When God gives us the Holy Spirit to listen to, it is a big help but we can override it by putting junk in our minds.

It is bad enough to let it in, but to speak it into the world is worse.

A

Abiding

telling me the cookies are gone:cool:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Stuff like this:

Last edited by Oncefallen; June 14th, 2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Filthy Communication

E

enoch1nine

So that movie that talks about evil, the stories children are so quietly engrossed in, that hurtful remark someone made or many other things we think mean nothing to us, becomes part of us, too.
I believe this is what unclean spirits, or "demons" as some texts read, really are.

W

weakness

If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God......that God in all thing might be glorified.

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
I think its anything to say ment to be hurtful or abusive to another.

M

MatthewMichael

I think when Jesus said "drink my blood" it was considered vulgar speech by the religious types of the day.

But I think the vulgarity lies in the intention behind the words instead of the actual word.

For example, if I refer to an annoying dog as an F'ing dog, I do not use filthy communication.
If I say F you to someone to express inner murder, I use filthy communication.

- edited for those with social vices.
I used to agree with this idea, but I think cursing in general can cause others to stray, and the scriptures warn us against that. I used to think curse words were funny. Then one day, I went to a comic show. It was Carlos Mencia to be exact. I did something I didn't usually do at that time in my life. I abstained from drinking. If you ever want to be sad, go see a vulgar comic and DON"T drink. It's pathetic. The jokes are weak, and all the drunk people are in stitches every time the comic says F**, c***, s***... If you've seen the movie "Idiocracy", it's not a commentary on our future; it's a commentary on our present.

As a boy I'd say, "Cussing is good for emphasis.".. like your "dog" example. I think that's nonsense now. Cursing is superfluous and filthy. There is no need to add "f'ing" to anything unless someone is suffering from a lack of self-control. I say this from experience as I still have trouble controlling my tongue. It's a shame to develop bad habits. The undoing of them is a lot harder than the doing of them.

Q

Quickfire

abiding lol you ae the cookie monster. i used to take fits when i was a kid if there was no cookies lol i know how you feal.
its dam right filthy communication that one lol.