What Kind of Christian are You?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

I grew up a good girl in a worldly sense of the word, but it was all I knew. At the time I didn't know I was being the good girl. I thought I was the scum of the earth. Lately my inner life has been in a struggle. Even in church, I was the good girl. I spent hours helping others out. I spent free days in the office stapling and stuffing bulletins. I volunteered for everything. I led worship 3 times a month, did childcare once a month, and did many outside worship events. I was a "good" Christian, so good in fact that I became the go to girl for everything. My worship team began calling me the coffee angel and threatening to write a country song about me because I was at church every Sunday 2 hrs early to wait on the worship team. During greeting time I would run from one side of the room the the other to greet new faces. I had a knack for recognizing lost people and would direct them to a seat and take their children to their perspective rooms. I did it because I love serving. I am a caretaker by nature. But things have crashed as through different circumstances I've realized I have some deep soul work to do. I clung to doing good because I didn't feel I was good. I strove to prove that I was worthy keeping around. I served because my purpose in life was to make others feel loved, but all the while I neglected myself... the one who needed to feel loved more than anyone else. It's been a long season trying to fathom how I turned from the good girl who loved well and did everything right into the me now that is screwing up more so than ever before. I have struggled to gain insight, but while heart-wrenching, it's been a good struggle in the God sense of the word.
My pastor has been on a series about 1 Corinthians delving into the sins of the worst NT church and how Paul, in his wisdom, wrote to address them. This last week the message was on the three types of Christians, and it put an adequate vocabulary to all that I've been pondering for so long. Christian #1 is an Incontinent Christian, one with a sense of morality and a weak will. The Incontinent Christian repeats with gusto all day long, grunts a few bursts of will power. "I'm not going to ________________ today." Then ________ happens. Christian #2 is the Continent Christian, one with a strong sense of morality and a strong will. Christian # 2 is what psychologists call the Good Girl/Boy. This type of Christian repeats the same phrases as the Incontinent Christian, but has success. No accidents, but only because of sheer human will power. Christian # 3 is the Virtuous Christian who reflects a high sense of morality and self-control grown out of a internal life that is continually being renewed and thus exhibits itself in good moral behavior in a Godly way. This person has both a strong sense of morality and good self-control, yet this person's self-control was grown from within.
As I ponder this message, I realized something about myself. In many ways, though not all, I have always been a Continent Christian. For the most part I did what was good, but I did it out of my will-power. This is not to say there has been no inner change in me since I was saved, but that the core of me was still out to prove I was good in an unGodly At this point in my life, post revelation, I would love to say I'm a Virtuous Christian. There are certainly virtuous places within my heart, but in many instances I'm not a very Incontinent Christian and it's a shameful struggle to be here. However, it is where the Lord has me, and now is the season in my life when He wants to address it. It's good that it's being addressed, but it's also hard to know that I can't put on that Good Girl mask anymore. Really I don't want to. That's not healing. Incontinent to Virtuous is the direction I want to go. I have no idea how to get there, but God isn't done with me yet.
So I encourage you to explore these three types of Christian Morality and determine where you fit. Feel free to share (or not) below.

Z

zaoman32

I'm incontinent and God is struggling to make me virtuous. I say that jokingly of course. A lot of people like to call me the "good boy" or person or whatever just because I waited till I was 21 to drink, I only got drunk once and that was on accident, and I've never done drugs or even smoked a cigarette. However I know I'm far from what they think of me. We all have our weaknesses, and in that case yes I have a strong sense of morality, but a week will. I constantly find the quote from Paul coming into mind "I know what I should do and what I shouldn't do and I still do what I shouldn't" or something along those lines. I feel it every single day and oh so much harder when I fall.

I take heart though, because I know this is something God is working me through. When I have a good day and avoid the things I shouldn't do I find myself slipping into pride, and God takes me right back to square one again.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
This is me:

Christian # 3 is the Virtuous Christian who reflects a high sense of morality and self-control grown out of a internal life that is continually being renewed and thus exhibits itself in good moral behavior in a Godly way. This person has both a strong sense of morality and good self-control, yet this person's self-control was grown from within.

My virtues and purity and strength all come from God, to Him be all the glory! All the goodness within me is due solely to Him and I know that if I tried to do it on my own I would have no success. :)

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for sharing that teaching :)

L

lcerveny

Wow, I am glad I read this thread. I also feel very disappointed in myself after reading this. I am a big "Incontinent Christian"...I struggle everyday. Being a Chrisitian is very hard for me. I was saved in 2008 and I am 48 years old. I feel so behind. I fail every day sad to say. I have a hard time getting along with people that do not agree with me. I am very immature in many ways due to the fact that I grew up in an very abusive home and I was an alcoholic and drug addict. These things did not help my case but at the same time it was these very things that lead me to Christ. I guess the fact that I am bothered by my behavior at times tells me the Lord is with me. I strive to do good everyday but fail. I will not give in to the Devil's lies about me. I am worthy, I am a child of the Most High God, I am loved, I am saved, I am forgiven and I am loved. Praise God!!! I am a work in progress.
Thanks for posting this.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Wow, I am glad I read this thread. I also feel very disappointed in myself after reading this. I am a big "Incontinent Christian"...I struggle everyday. Being a Chrisitian is very hard for me. I was saved in 2008 and I am 48 years old. I feel so behind. I fail every day sad to say. I have a hard time getting along with people that do not agree with me. I am very immature in many ways due to the fact that I grew up in an very abusive home and I was an alcoholic and drug addict. These things did not help my case but at the same time it was these very things that lead me to Christ. I guess the fact that I am bothered by my behavior at times tells me the Lord is with me. I strive to do good everyday but fail. I will not give in to the Devil's lies about me. I am worthy, I am a child of the Most High God, I am loved, I am saved, I am forgiven and I am loved. Praise God!!! I am a work in progress.
Thanks for posting this.
In regards to failing, it's only a failure if you stay there. :)

Be encouraged. I was raised in a Christian home but I didn't fully give my life to Christ until my Sophomore year in High School. I still make mistakes, I still have issues. For me, the biggest area is my attitude, too. :)

God deals with the sins and habits that will kill you fastest, so He delivered me from many, many things through all these years. Now, He and I are dealing with my attitude, and believe me, it is not fun by any means. I have a bad attitude daily...seriously. But, as you said, as long as you are aware of it and are seeking change, that is always a good thing. It is when we shrug our shoulders and say, "Oh, well. This is how I am and you'll just have to accept it." that we are in grave danger. :)

Keep going and if you ever want to talk, feel free to message me here. God Bless!

J

Jordache

The point of this thread is not to bring shame upon anyone. If you feel that then you must fight it because that shame is what keeps you incontinent. I feel lots of it so I completely understand, but shame leaves us all a victim.

H

hattiebod

I think its important never to 'compare & despair'. We are all wondrously and beautifully made...all different, all on different parts of our journey, we must never think we are 'ok', just becsuse we do not indulge in a sin, does not mean we do not indulge in another...seek you first the Kingdom of God...what He would want for you...and know you are loved, forgiven but also this is not an excuse to 'do your own thing'. No shame....cast your eyes on Him...all will become clear....or perhaps clearer? over time. God Bless, Hattie <><

Oct 31, 2011
I think it is a lot simpler and also more complicated than that. It is simple because it is simply a matter of dying to self and living in Christ. And it is as complicated as that.

I used to smoke. I taught Sunday School, I had teens. When teens smoked, then, it was a way of stating they rebelled. I stunk with that terrible odor. Every night I went to the Lord about it, vowing never to smoke again. Every morning I grabbed a cigarette with my coffee. I could quit for as much as a week, then something would happen and back those awful things came.

It wasn't me that quit them, it was Christ come to help me. A wonderful group of ladies prayed over me. Some people can stop with will power, but usually stopping something like this is giving up yourself to let Christ take over.

I am reading what three different exorcists has to say about their work. All say they may do nothing themselves, it is only Christ who has that authority. In order to call on Christ to expel demons, they must first be cleansed of sin by Christ.