What should be my role in this dilemma?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

dabodab

Hi everyone, I would love to hear how you would handle this. Don't hold anything back!

My my son is unemployed and doing work in my house the last 11 weeks. The last 9 weeks he has been working a part time job as well, from 1-6, 7, 8 or 9 PM, so he's only 'able' to work Saturdays. I just learned that today is his last day on that part time job.

He has done all the heavy painting in the house and finished laying the vinyl flooring in the baths and kitchen last weekend. He did a great job, though he's never done vinyl flooring before and very little painting. However he was not happy in this work and admits it's because he is depressed and unmotivated. Which I can see and have been praying for him, of course.

When we started, I paid his rent the first month and am buying his groceries and electronic cigarette supplies for three months, and paid 2 utility bills if his. I also am paying his cell and corresponding data bill every month for a year since he's been unemployed. All together probably about $1,600. Wow I never added it up. But he would take less, would do it for free even. It's just hard for him over here to do it. Last Saturday he didn't get here until 3. Some weekends he hasn't come at all.

My son has a tiny bit of experience laying laminate floors, and is capable of teaching himself to do a good job but I don't know if he's up for the huge job (1200 sq ft plus closets) and I may be setting him up for failure. He's a hard worker. This is the job he was looking forward to. But he's not easily self-directed. Plus he has an addiction to a phone game.

We talked about getting us some help doing the laminate, so a professional floor guy is scheduled to take over and give my son $10/hour to work for him. My son is so angry/hurt that I would put someone else be in charge and tell him what to do! He said it's easy work that he is capable of doing himself. My son said he won't work with this professional. He asked me to get someone who can ''help" him and that would be okay. He wants to be in charge and, I think, be the ONE who does the job. He does have authority issues, it's true.

Giving my son an opportunity to succeed (this time with timeline expectations) would be great. I've been living on subfloor for 11 weeks and have family coming in 6 weeks for a big graduation so yah I'm anxious to get done, but not sure how to get there.

I am grateful my son told me today how he feels about the professional coming but am concerned he would give up $10/hour wage. I'm not going to give my son a professional wage to do the job.

If you've read this far...tell me your insight/opinion/advice? I welcome it all.

J

jjtj22

You don't say how old your son is, obviously on his own though. My opinion... I would counsel my son to do the best job he can, be the best worker the professional flooring guy has ever had. Hopefully this job may lead to work for your son and if not help him develop skills he did not have before.

D

dabodab

You don't say how old your son is, obviously on his own though. My opinion... I would counsel my son to do the best job he can, be the best worker the professional flooring guy has ever had. Hopefully this job may lead to work for your son and if not help him develop skills he did not have before.
Yes, I agree! Thank you.

Sep 6, 2014
Maybe you can have the floor guy finish the job while teaching your son some of the trade secrets in the professional flooring trade. That usually comes with the hourly wage and is more valuable in itself then the wage earned.
Also to help boost his spirits after that, and to let him know you appreciate his handiness, why not have him take on a smaller project that you both can do together.

D

dabodab

Maybe you can have the floor guy finish the job while teaching your son some of the trade secrets in the professional flooring trade. That usually comes with the hourly wage and is more valuable in itself then the wage earned.
Also to help boost his spirits after that, and to let him know you appreciate his handiness, why not have him take on a smaller project that you both can do together.
Thank you! We have worked on the painting together, which some of it was 'artistic'.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
What do you hear in your spirit when you ask the Lord for guidance? Sit still before him with a paper and pencil and write down the thoughts He gives you.

Then I would love to hear them. For only He knows all the circumstances and the hearts of everyone.

D

dalconn

Joining the military is a good way to grow up and learn responsibility

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Talk about enabling behaviour! Tell him he works the job or no money! Give him a 3 month deadline to get off your dole. Send him to a doctor for antidepressants and counseling.

Let him fall! You are doing him a terrible disservice to be supporting him when he is obviously not disabled, and competent to work. What will he do if you die? Time to cut the apron strings, and let him grow up.

He probably has dependent personality disorder, and the only way to heal is to start extinguishing the behaviours. I know you think you are helping him, but in fact, you are harming him terribly. I have a 58 year old brother living in my mother's basement. My parents tried to get him jobs, but they were not good enough for him, or he thought he was better than everyone else. He is a disturbed, manipulative mess. Do you want your son to end up like my brother? He will, I guarantee!

Treat him as an adult, and maybe he will have a chance. Please stop giving hm money, let him end upon skid row for a while. If he hits bottom. He may decided to look up and find God. Praying you do the right thing!

S

sassylady

Frankly it's time for him to learn to have some authority over him or he will not hold down a serious job. I can understand helping but paying for his e cigs is a bit much if he's getting some kind of paycheck. I'd have a face to face with him, he needs to start being weaned off of help and be more motivated to be on his own.

U

Ugly

Think it's time for your son to grow up. Which won't happen until you stop coddling him. He needs to be given requirements he needs to meet in a time frame, until he can be financially independent and able support himself. He sounds more like a spoiled brat, which often leads to 'authority issues'. But he sounds like he's used to throwing tantrums and getting his way. And now that you have a pressure on you to not be able to wait for his slacker attitude to finish a job, he's throwing another tantrum but you aren't giving in, so he's pouting now.

D

dabodab

What do you hear in your spirit when you ask the Lord for guidance? Sit still before him with a paper and pencil and write down the thoughts He gives you.

Then I would love to hear them. For only He knows all the circumstances and the hearts of everyone.
Thank you Joidevivre, I appreciate your suggestion and followed it. This is what I wrote in my journal:

"He is willing to help me only on his terms...." Wow I've been like that at times myself. That was a revelation!
"His way. Trust issues." Yep that's me too. Lol
"I want the job done responsibly, timely and professionally". That is my right as the owner of my house.
"It isn't fair that I'm expected [by him] to let him have free reign when he hasn't been self-directed up until now".
"I want him to succeed. He will succeed or fail with this job. I don't want the responsibility of his possible failure, for him but mostly for me."

if he succeeds, he does so believing yes, he should be allowed to do everything his way, and what has he learned but more of the bad ~ he's right and everyone is crack potted?

I truly love my son and believe he is set apart for God. He was once close to God. But it isn't my job to get him back there. It wasn't my fault he's not there. God's best for him is to learn from others and especially God. If he can't or won't learn from others, why should he listen to God?

Boy am I preaching to myself here.

D

dabodab

Joining the military is a good way to grow up and learn responsibility
Yes! I've suggested this already and have prayed for him in this regard, thank you.

D

dabodab

Talk about enabling behaviour! Tell him he works the job or no money! Give him a 3 month deadline to get off your dole. Send him to a doctor for antidepressants and counseling.

Let him fall! You are doing him a terrible disservice to be supporting him when he is obviously not disabled, and competent to work. What will he do if you die? Time to cut the apron strings, and let him grow up.

He probably has dependent personality disorder, and the only way to heal is to start extinguishing the behaviours. I know you think you are helping him, but in fact, you are harming him terribly. I have a 58 year old brother living in my mother's basement. My parents tried to get him jobs, but they were not good enough for him, or he thought he was better than everyone else. He is a disturbed, manipulative mess. Do you want your son to end up like my brother? He will, I guarantee!

Treat him as an adult, and maybe he will have a chance. Please stop giving hm money, let him end upon skid row for a while. If he hits bottom. He may decided to look up and find God. Praying you do the right thing!
Thank you Angela, I've read a lot of your stuff and respect your opinion.

I haven't given him money, I'm not supporting him, but paid for his phone since he became unemployed. The reason I've been paying for his food and cig stuff and one months rent is because it was my deal for him doing the work for me up until now. Otherwise I've rarely helped him before and he doesn't ask. I never give him money, and I respect him as an adult so cannot 'get him to a doctor and get him meds', though I've suggested both those things. Hooked him up with my EAP but he hasn't made the call yet. I believe adult children should be treated as the adults they are. Not trying to excuse myself, just explain.

I hear you loud and clear. I see him in your brother. Thank you so much for being straight with me!

D

dabodab

Think it's time for your son to grow up. Which won't happen until you stop coddling him. He needs to be given requirements he needs to meet in a time frame, until he can be financially independent and able support himself. He sounds more like a spoiled brat, which often leads to 'authority issues'. But he sounds like he's used to throwing tantrums and getting his way. And now that you have a pressure on you to not be able to wait for his slacker attitude to finish a job, he's throwing another tantrum but you aren't giving in, so he's pouting now.
Yes to everything Ugly, though he doesn't pout for long. And actually he held down a job for 12 years after graduating high school, showed up every day, wasn't a discipline problem, and really and truly he would drop everything and help me or you if we were in trouble. He just has this glitch and is delusional about some stuff. Which could kill him so I don't take it lightly. Regularly he is before The Lord in my prayers. That's all, and the most, I can offer.

D

dabodab

So after much prayer and reflection, and after reading your responses which I value, it's clear he has to do (or not) this renovation that is MINE and I'm paying for the supplies and time, the way I see fit. However that affects him is his responsibility but I hope and pray he will relent and see the value in staying on under the authority of a professional.

When I tell him it won't be to smash his face in any failure to do this or that, just simply my decision according toy prerogative.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement! Let you know how it turns out.

B

biscuit

The decision is yours to make because it is your house and not his. He is being disrespectful and needs to grow up.

D

dabodab

Hello everyone, thanks again to all who contributed with advice. It helped me sort out what was important together with what was expedient.

Thr floor-guy did the floors in about 30 hours spread over 5 days, with the help of my son. The work turned out beautiful. My son was unhappy about my choice but hung in there the whole week. I don't think he was open to learning the trade, however He was able to pay his rent.

Our relationship suffered quite a blow over this renovation. I believe my son thinks I took advantage of him over the three month period. What I wanted was for him to work for the $ help I gave him and also have something to do, since he is unemployed. Maybe we got our wires crossed or perhaps he is going thru some growing pains, but it isn't something we can talk about at this time. I continue to believe God is at work in his life and will keep trusting him to God.

in the meantime, my house is lovely and thanks for the great direction!