What The Pentecostal Church is all About!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

richie_2uk

What the Pentecostal Church is About:

The Bible:

We believe the Bible, as originally given, to be without error, the fully inspired and infallible Word of God and the supreme and final authority in all matters of faith and conduct.

[h=4]The Trinity [/h]We believe that the Godhead exists co-equally and co-eternally in three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - and that these three are one God, sovereign in creation, providence and redemption.

[h=4]The Saviour [/h]We believe in the true and proper deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His real and complete humanity, in His sinless life, in His authoritative teaching, in His substitutionary and atoning sacrifice through His blood shed, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His heavenly intercession and His second advent to receive His Church.

[h=4]The Holy Spirit[/h][h=4][/h]We believe in the deity of the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father and the Son and the necessity of His work in conviction of sin, repentance, regeneration and sanctification, and that the believer is also promised an enduement of power as the gift of Christ through the baptism in the Holy Spirit with signs following. Through this enduement the believer is empowered for fuller participation in the ministry of the Church, its worship, evangelism and service.

[h=4]Mankind [/h]
We believe in the universal sinfulness of all men since the Fall, rendering man subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.

[h=4]Salvation [/h]We believe in the necessity for salvation of repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ by which the sinner is pardoned and accepted as righteous in God’s sight. This justification is imputed by the grace of God because of the atoning work of Christ, is received by faith alone and is evidenced by the Fruit of the Spirit and a holy life.

[h=4]The Church[/h][h=4][/h]We believe in the spiritual unity and the priesthood of all believers in Christ and that these comprise the universal Church, the Body of Christ.

[h=4]The Ministry [/h]We believe in the ministries that Christ has set in His Church, namely, apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers and in the present operation of the manifold Gifts of the Holy Spirit according to the New Testament.

[h=4]The Ordinances [/h]We believe in the baptism of believers in water in obedience to the command of Christ and the commemoration of Christ’s death by the observance of the Lord’s Supper until His return.

[h=4]The Commission [/h]
We believe that the Gospel embraces the needs of the whole man and that the Church is therefore commissioned to preach the Gospel to the world and to fulfil a ministry of healing and deliverance to the spiritual and physical needs of mankind.

[h=4]The Coming King[/h][h=4][/h]We believe in the personal, physical and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to reign in power and glory.

[h=4]The Future State [/h]We believe in the resurrection of the dead and in the final judgement of the world, the eternal conscious bliss of the righteous and the eternal conscious punishment of the wicked.

Jan 10, 2013
the only section I would consider fully true is The Coming King

In The Church does "the priesthood of all believers in Christ" mean you think we are all priests and, on would assume, there is no need for paid clergy as we are all in the priesthood as saints? If so I would agree - but most pentacostal churches I know have several full-time ministers and staff.

I'll not go into the other things I think are wrong as they are mainly orthodox beliefs.

Gifts of the spirit though - wrong
To say they "never ended" is to ignore the Bible says "in the last days men will receive the gifts again"
You might know the chapter and verse numbers better than I as I assume you've been trained to dodge scripture where it disagrees :)

R

richie_2uk

the only section I would consider fully true is The Coming King

In The Church does "the priesthood of all believers in Christ" mean you think we are all priests and, on would assume, there is no need for paid clergy as we are all in the priesthood as saints? If so I would agree - but most pentacostal churches I know have several full-time ministers and staff.

I'll not go into the other things I think are wrong as they are mainly orthodox beliefs.

Gifts of the spirit though - wrong
To say they "never ended" is to ignore the Bible says "in the last days men will receive the gifts again"
You might know the chapter and verse numbers better than I as I assume you've been trained to dodge scripture where it disagrees :)
Gift of the spirits wrong? 1 Corinthians 12:1-31 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; ...

And Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
...And the continuationism versus cessationism debate begins. :rolleyes:

J

jimmydiggs

Yeah, it could be a bit more comprehensive, but it’s still acceptable.

Mostly.

These two bits either have inaccuracies or are lacking:

The Holy Spirit

We believe in the deity of the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father and the Son and the necessity of His work in conviction of sin, repentance, regeneration and sanctification, and that the believer is also promised an enduement of power as the gift of Christ through the baptism in the Holy Spirit with signs following. Through this enduement the believer is empowered for fuller participation in the ministry of the Church, its worship, evangelism and service.

The Ordinances

We believe in the baptism of believers in water in obedience to the command of Christ and the commemoration of Christ’s death by the observance of the Lord’s Supper until His return.

... and of course there's the whole misunderstanding of Acts 2, and the Dispensationalism, but that's typical.

G

GreenNnice

Mostly.

These two bits either have inaccuracies or are lacking:

The Holy Spirit

We believe in the deity of the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father and the Son and the necessity of His work in conviction of sin, repentance, regeneration and sanctification, and that the believer is also promised an enduement of power as the gift of Christ through the baptism in the Holy Spirit with signs following. Through this enduement the believer is empowered for fuller participation in the ministry of the Church, its worship, evangelism and service.

The Ordinances

We believe in the baptism of believers in water in obedience to the command of Christ and the commemoration of Christ’s death by the observance of the Lord’s Supper until His return.

... and of course there's the whole misunderstanding of Acts 2, and the Dispensationalism, but that's typical.
I see 'it' as completeness, jimdig, a lot like when 'the perfect is come.' :) Oh, wait, it's already here, came, and, not gone for until the time comes when things will BE PERFECT :)

When will 'the perfect' be here? The perfect, ah, the perfect, the perfect, the precious, my precious, my precious perfect time come for me, for you, for ALL who believe in Him :)

Oh , yeah, I forgot to say, you better believe I'm pentecostal and I believe in the power of God working through me, through words, but also through His Holy Spirit, through also, and, don't EVER forget this word for how we are to do things in life ONCE we have heard the Gospel of Christ.... CONVICTION !!! :)

1 Thessalonians 1:5 is in order now :

2We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. 3We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
4For we know, brothers and sisters[SUP]b[/SUP] loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction.

Apr 26, 2013
I dont believe your church has the Holy Spirit for many reasons and one is I am a Sabbath keeper and your church does not keep the Jewish Sabbath. I also disagree with wild tongues in halls simultaneolusly with beaty music creating mass hysteria. You dont follow the biblical rules of no more than 2 or 3 tongue talkers and only when there is an interpreter. I was a Pentacostal for 6 months and found the movement not biblical and quite mind and soul controlling. People were telling me what clothes to wear and how long my hair should be

S

SHINY707

I was introduced to Christ by Pentecostal believers, and I am really indebted to them.

But now I am no longer in Pentecostal group for lots of reasons.

Yes I was told to follow some rules regarding dress, but that only helped me. I am grateful to them.

About Holy Spirit and tongues, God is present wherever He is honoured and truly called.Tongues are special gifts , some people are truly filled with Holy Spirit and they speak in tongues but I have met few who are otherwise and are deceptive.

God bless all the Children of God.Amen.

Aug 15, 2009
I dont believe your church has the Holy Spirit for many reasons and one is I am a Sabbath keeper and your church does not keep the Jewish Sabbath. I also disagree with wild tongues in halls simultaneolusly with beaty music creating mass hysteria. You dont follow the biblical rules of no more than 2 or 3 tongue talkers and only when there is an interpreter. I was a Pentacostal for 6 months and found the movement not biblical and quite mind and soul controlling. People were telling me what clothes to wear and how long my hair should be
What calendar you do use to keep the Sabbath?
So you were in one church. Do you judge the Baptists that way, also? What about the Methodists? Do you just go to one of their churches and judge them all by one? You cannot judge a denomination or a movement by one church.

Apr 26, 2013
We all test everyone around us, God wrote to test all things. I follow the original Jewish days from old the Genesis Sabbath 7th day. I do not see any Christian churches that teach you how to find God as most are profit orientated with traditions of men ruling over God given laws. Churches of today are lukewarm, scared to reveal the hard truth.

Aug 15, 2009
We all test everyone around us, God wrote to test all things. I follow the original Jewish days from old the Genesis Sabbath 7th day. I do not see any Christian churches that teach you how to find God as most are profit orientated with traditions of men ruling over God given laws. Churches of today are lukewarm, scared to reveal the hard truth.
If you are not keeping the Sabbath by using the Jewish calendar, you are not keeping it. It started in the law with the Jewish calendar, and that's how it should be kept, if you're going to do it. The Julian calendar is not acceptable.

Apr 26, 2013
Ive spoken to Jews and Rabbis and they told me the Sabbath commences Friday evening

Feb 17, 2013
Not all pentecostal churches are that way. However there should be some ground rules for church etiquette. For Instance, we decided sunday night would be casual dress, well it wasn't long before some young ladies were coming in shorts so short that their hineys were hanging out and one lady actually came in her nightgown and bedroom shoes . We had to stop casual sunday night.

Aug 15, 2009
There is a certain amount of distance you can travel on the Sabbath before breaking it. Do you know what it is?
You are not supposed to do any kind of activity on the Sabbath, otherwise you will break it. Like going to restaurants after services.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
What one has as a doctrinal statement does not always match their practice.
Nevertheless after spending over 15 years in the Charasmatic/Pentecostal Churches I found their greatest weakness is on their emphasis of the Holy Spirit over the Person of Jesus Christ and His work at Calvary. Without the proper foundation, ''following the Spirit'' can lead one into a stratospheric catastrophe; instead it should be remembered the Holy Spirit's Office is to point one to Jesus not Himself.
It really is about emphasis.

Feb 17, 2013
What one has as a doctrinal statement does not always match their practice.
Nevertheless after spending over 15 years in the Charasmatic/Pentecostal Churches I found their greatest weakness is on their emphasis of the Holy Spirit over the Person of Jesus Christ and His work at Calvary. Without the proper foundation, ''following the Spirit'' can lead one into a stratospheric catastrophe; instead it should be remembered the Holy Spirit's Office is to point one to Jesus not Himself.
It really is about emphasis.

Again, not all pentecostal churches are the same. Our major emphasis is on Christ and him crucified and yes the Holy Spirit will always point to the cross.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Again, not all pentecostal churches are the same. Our major emphasis is on Christ and him crucified and yes the Holy Spirit will always point to the cross.
Of course not all but the majority. After all, consider their name PENTECOSTal.