What was the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
This is Scofieldism not Scriptural truth. We still proclaim the Good News of the Kingly Rule of God today (Acts 28.32), and men are daily coming under His Kingly Rule. The prayer 'may your Kingly Rule come' is not a pious wish for some long distant future but a pray that in our own day His Kingly Rule may come about in more and more people so that His Rule is established and His will is done on earth as it is in Heaven. Whilst some of the Jews rejected Jesus Christ's kingship, large numbers responded to Him as king. And as Peter pointed out His Davidic throne was established in Heaven at the resurrection (Acts 2.30, 36).

The Gospel of the Kingly Rule of God IS the Gospel of salvation. There can be no other Gospel.
I can see how people who aren't saved wouldn't exactly see the Gospel of the Kingly Rule of God as actual good news.
I can further see how people who think they are righteous based on their own acts would reject help from any source in this regard.

If you come to Christ as a child would, with no pre-conceived ideas of Salvation or His Kingdom, then Salvation and the Kingdom of God come at the same time.

So then the Gospel of the Kingdom and the Gospel of Salvation are the same. The way to the Kingdom and the way to Salvation is through the same door.

I suppose it takes baby steps for the carnal man to understand. First things first. Get saved from your sins and changed. Then seek, with the ability to grasp, the Kingdom of God.

I don't know what Scofieldism is or really what everyone is trying to convey. Most everyones posts are confusing in this thread. Are we trying to separate things that can't be separated? That's what it seems like to me. But I might not be understanding fully...

Dec 19, 2009
Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew4:23 Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew9:35 Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew10:5-7 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach,saying,‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark1:14-15Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand;repent and believe in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel),as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while He uses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 50 times, while He uses the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" 29 times. Thus Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question:Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"​
One thing Jesus did was die for our sins. In other words, we won’t have to suffer eternal torment for each sin we’ve committed. You might say that Jesus ransomed us from Satan.

Jesus also taught us how to find contentment and security.

J

JesusistheChrist

Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew4:23 Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew9:35 Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew10:5-7 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach,saying,‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark1:14-15Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand;repent and believe in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel),as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while He uses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 50 times, while He uses the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" 29 times. Thus Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question:Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"​
After His resurrection from the dead and before His ascension back to the Father's right hand in heaven, Jesus spent 40 days speaking to His disciples about the things which pertain to the kingdom of God:

"The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight." (Acts 1:1-9)

In fact, the last recorded question that His disciples asked Him before His ascension back to the Father's right hand was if He was going to restore again the kingdom to Israel at that time. Apparently, in His discussions with them about the kingdom of God, Jesus covered some Old Testament prophecies like the following one which prompted their question:

"But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted; And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever. And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem." (Micah 4:1-8)

The day is yet coming when Jesus will return to establish the kingdom of God here upon the earth as He sits upon the throne of David and reigns from Jerusalem. Yes, unto Jerusalem shall it come, even the first dominion. At His first coming, when He was near Jerusalem, there were those who thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear and that prompted Jesus to tell the following parable:

"And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us. And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities. And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin: For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow. And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow: Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury? And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds. (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.) For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." (Luke 19:11-27)

Jesus won't actually receive the kingdom until He returns, even as we just read, and at that time those who are saved will share in His inheritance with Him:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" (Matthew 25:31-34)

Of course, in order to "see" or "enter" this kingdom, we need to be "born again" (John 3:3, 5), so "the gospel" includes both the new birth and the coming kingdom of God.

slave

Mar 20, 2015
Our Lord Yeshua has shown the way of righteousness for us to follow.

There are different's parts in his body, and some preach the word, and some serve him in different way,s but we all should share the same values, and love.
We should all share the same Son of God, then all the parts of love are the same that we share. Our call to harmonious living is a call to single-mindedness found in our relationship with a person, a single person. The person of God found to walk with us as man, and who is our mind- bender to each other in the ways of love.It is Jesus who now is Christ Jesus our Lord who sits on the right side of God interceding for us while the Holy Spirit intercedes with us here to come to the same conclusion, not the same gifts unto ourselves, that can be demonstrated in different ways, but never in a different conclusion other than God's conclusions.

Satan says, "Thank you for opening that gate for debate, but God says, "Thank you for making that a closed door to debate for those who know me." Only faith will hear those words right.

Last edited:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Watch it! You're drifting into Vineyard Territory with that "now and not yet" kingdom idea...... and VW might lower the boom on you like he did me. LOL

No, I learned this in Southern Baptist Seminary and from Amy Grant's song, "The now and the not yet!" Which is a funny way to learn theology! Or not! Considering hymns used to teach theology all the time! Sorry, no youtube link came up.

"No longer what we were before,
But not all that we will be.
Tomorrow, when we lock the door,
On all our compromising,
When He appears,
He'll draw us near,
And we'll be changed by His glory,
Wrapped up in His glory....

We will be like Him,
For we shall see Him,
As He is.

(La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la....)

No longer what we saw before,
But not all that we will see.
On all our disbelieving,
When He appears (holy, holy),
Our view will clear,

But I'm caught in between
The now and the not yet;
Sometimes it seems like
Forever and ever,
That I've been reaching to be
All that I am,
But I'm only a few steps nearer,
Yet I'm nearer....

No longer what we were before,
On all our disbelieving,
And He appears (holy, holy),
He'll draw us near,

He'll draw us near,

Feb 7, 2015
No, I learned this in Southern Baptist Seminary and from Amy Grant's song, "The now and the not yet!" Which is a funny way to learn theology! Or not! Considering hymns used to teach theology all the time! Sorry, no youtube link came up.

"No longer what we were before,
On all our compromising,
When He appears,
He'll draw us near,

We will be like Him,
For we shall see Him,
As He is.

(La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la....)

No longer what we saw before,
But not all that we will see.
On all our disbelieving,
Our view will clear,

But I'm caught in between
The now and the not yet;
Sometimes it seems like
Forever and ever,
That I've been reaching to be
All that I am,
But I'm only a few steps nearer,
Yet I'm nearer....

No longer what we were before,
On all our disbelieving,
And He appears (holy, holy),
He'll draw us near,

He'll draw us near,
Yeah, I like that song. Just keep the thought from VW. He already informed me the Vineyard teaches several "false" gospels..... whatever that is supposed to mean. LOL

Feb 7, 2015
Which is precisely why I love the old time hymns.
I'm, "Yes" and "No" on that. For instance the words "When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh may I THEN in Him be found." Not doctrine I want anyone to be trying to grab ahold of.

Dec 12, 2013
I'm, "Yes" and "No" on that. For instance the words "When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh may I THEN in Him be found." Not doctrine I want anyone to be trying to grab ahold of.
No doubt...How about..On that bright and cloudless morning when the dead in Christ shall rise....

I can think of at least 4 places where it states clearly that Jesus comes with the clouds of heaven.....

If we sing something not true in way of worship does it not (leaven) our worship and make it unacceptable? I believe it does...
God is Spirit and they that worship him MUST worship him in Spirit and in TRUTH

J

JesusistheChrist

Of course, I'd be "yes" and "no" on that as well. IOW, I'm not going to listen to or sing any lyrics which are contrary to scripture. I'm not familiar with the hymn that you're quoting from, but I think (I could be wrong) that it's merely saying that that person wants to be found in Christ when He returns. I'm not reading it as if the person wasn't found in Christ prior to then as well.

J

JesusistheChrist

No doubt...How about..On that bright and cloudless morning when the dead in Christ shall rise....

I can think of at least 4 places where it states clearly that Jesus comes with the clouds of heaven.....

If we sing something not true in way of worship does it not (leaven) our worship and make it unacceptable? I believe it does...
I personally refuse to sing the songs that say that we're going to spend eternity with Jesus in heaven because that isn't true.

Feb 7, 2015
Of course, I'd be "yes" and "no" on that as well. IOW, I'm not going to listen to or sing any lyrics which are contrary to scripture. I'm not familiar with the hymn that you're quoting from, but I think (I could be wrong) that it's merely saying that that person wants to be found in Christ when He returns. I'm not reading it as if the person wasn't found in Christ prior to then as well.
Oh, without a doubt, the intent of ALL these songs is benign. BUT, they still do plant possibly subliminal messages that many people can interpret entirely differently than the song writer intended. Normally, this is no big deal, because the spoken word can be questioned directly... but songs seem to stand forever, and hardly anyone ever even gives them a thought as to what might REALLY be delivered to innocent ears.

Many children's songs do this, and we never bat an eye.

Feb 7, 2015
Not a very good version, but here it is.....

[video=youtube;ndBh1ltWYfc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBh1ltWYfc[/video]

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015

It, at least, shows that we honestly don't give a lot of thought to what we sing.

Dec 12, 2013
It, at least, shows that we honestly don't give a lot of thought to what we sing.
I personally think it clearly taints our worship.....Satan added one word and change the truth into a lie even though he quoted the whole truth in the garden!

J

JesusistheChrist

There are numerous songs that I will not sing....!
Same here. I pay very close attention to lyrics and I actually walked out of a "worship service" once because what was transpiring was demonic. I'd tell you where that was, but I don't want to start a riot (or maybe I do...lol).

J

JesusistheChrist

I personally think it clearly taints our worship.....Satan added one word and change the truth into a lie even though he quoted the whole truth in the garden!
I agree. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth and if He manifests in a setting where lies are being propagated, either through the lyrics of songs or in a sermon (or in a play, etc.), then it's going to be to reprove people.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
This is Scofieldism not Scriptural truth. We still proclaim the Good News of the Kingly Rule of God today (Acts 28.32), and men are daily coming under His Kingly Rule. The prayer 'may your Kingly Rule come' is not a pious wish for some long distant future but a pray that in our own day His Kingly Rule may come about in more and more people so that His Rule is established and His will is done on earth as it is in Heaven. Whilst some of the Jews rejected Jesus Christ's kingship, large numbers responded to Him as king. And as Peter pointed out His Davidic throne was established in Heaven at the resurrection (Acts 2.30, 36).

The Gospel of the Kingly Rule of God IS the Gospel of salvation. There can be no other Gospel.
Acts 1:6-7 (KJV)
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

You jumped the gun on Kingly rule, that doesn't happen until all enemies have been put under His feet.
It's not Scofieldism but Premillennialism as compared to your amillennialism.