What would an atheist world be like?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Imagine no religion at all, that humans believed in nothing but humankind and no existence after death.
What would life be like?

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Seems we are there now.
As far as religion, most religions teachings is wrong.
The few that know and teach the truth are ignored or mocked.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Imagine no religion at all, that humans believed in nothing but humankind and no existence after death.
What would life be like?
I read an observation a while back that said something like this:

For unbelievers, this is the closest they'll ever get to heaven.
But for believers in Christ, this is the closest they'll ever get to hell.

I now think of this every time I go through something, whether good or bad.

All the joys we know of this life, as wonderful or as limited as they might seem, are the greatest things any unbeliever will experience. We believers, however, know there is much, much more ahead. So much more, and so much better than we could ever imagine.

But at the same time, all the horrible, tragic, gut-wrenching things of this life -- and we are seeing everyday just how bad it can get -- these are the closest experiences we believers will ever get to hell, which God has promised to save us from.

I don't even want to imagine what an existence without God's presence would be like -- but this is exactly what will happen to unbelievers in the end -- they will be cast from God's presence forever, with not even a glimpse of His goodness left, as we still have on this earth.

I read another musing once that maybe this is part of why God allowed sin to enter the world in the first place -- He wanted to give humans a chance to see and experience what life could be like if they decided to chose Him -- or not.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
What would life be like?
This is a cool movie scenario and many movies have been done using this theme.

The thing is that the Atheist definition (lack of belief in God) does not really apply to the human condition, because they have done studies where people in tribes who have never had any outside influences with the world, had a natural inclination of belief and they said that after the death of their family members, 'the spirit goes in the sky'.
So you could make an argument here that even a human raised by the wolves in a forest, will still seek God.

What you have is a rejection of God, not a natural lack-of-belief in God. A rejection in God comes from many sources which i'd rather not get into, but Biblically speaking this rejection is something to be expected as time goes by.

But going back to movie scenarios, you have a movie called Equilibrium which is exactly this type of theme where people live in a society where they are forced to take drugs to suppress emotions.
Equilibrium (film) - Wikipedia

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... This reminds me of the things the Bible says Christians keep from happening just by being here in the world.

It also reminds me of all the effort we put in to try to keep the store clean at my job. A lot of customers don't care and leave a mess. Some of the employees don't give a fart in a whirlwind. Even the grease-laden air itself works against our efforts to keep it clean.

But I've seen sister stores where NOBODY cares much. They may keep the lobby kind of clean... Sort of... but the kitchen is downright disgusting!

It can be frustrating to be a Christian, trying to be a good influence in a world where it seems like most people and even the world itself works together to make as much chaos and destruction as possible. But if we were not the salt in this world, it would be terrible indeed.

"But there ARE some good people who are not Christians..."
Yeah, remember when Israel tried that? "Every man did that which was right in his own eyes." That didn't turn out too well either.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Hmm... This reminds me of the things the Bible says Christians keep from happening just by being here in the world.

It also reminds me of all the effort we put in to try to keep the store clean at my job. A lot of customers don't care and leave a mess. Some of the employees don't give a fart in a whirlwind. Even the grease-laden air itself works against our efforts to keep it clean.

But I've seen sister stores where NOBODY cares much. They may keep the lobby kind of clean... Sort of... but the kitchen is downright disgusting!

It can be frustrating to be a Christian, trying to be a good influence in a world where it seems like most people and even the world itself works together to make as much chaos and destruction as possible. But if we were not the salt in this world, it would be terrible indeed.

"But there ARE some good people who are not Christians..."
Yeah, remember when Israel tried that? "Every man did that which was right in his own eyes." That didn't turn out too well either.

That is along the lines of what I think. The presence and work of Christians has, does and always will make the difference between utter horror and a reasonable good life for all. Left to themselves, human beings are destructive. Being accountable to God, Christ, keeps life tolerable for all.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
What would life be like?
It would end up being a hell hole..

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
What would life be like?
The world of Khan Noonian Singh comes to mind... a world fractured, in a state of perpetual war between various dictators with god complexes.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That is along the lines of what I think. The presence and work of Christians has, does and always will make the difference between utter horror and a reasonable good life for all. Left to themselves, human beings are destructive. Being accountable to God, Christ, keeps life tolerable for all.
Hence the "salt" analogy.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
What would life be like?
probably, we would have killed ourselves off centuries ago.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
probably, we would have killed ourselves off centuries ago.
Kind of ironic considering that atheists largely consider religion in general and Christianity
in particular to be a root cause of many wars and killing, rather than blaming human nature.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Kind of ironic considering that atheists largely consider religion in general and Christianity
in particular to be a root cause of many wars and killing, rather than blaming human nature.
It's true religion is a huge cause of trouble. However, if there was no belief in any God there would surely be much worse, also no comfort or hope.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
yes, i've heard that before. and guess from who? my younger brother who is still atheist. the 3 people i know who led the worst lives are all atheists!!! i've been talking to him about Jesus for 41 years & he won't listen & convert. u.b.! (unbeleivable)

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
It's true religion is a huge cause of trouble. However, if there was no belief in any God there would surely be much worse, also no comfort or hope.
religion is but not Christianity!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
yes, i've heard that before. and guess from who? my younger brother who is still atheist. the 3 people i know who led the worst lives are all atheists!!! i've been talking to him about Jesus for 41 years & he won't listen & convert. u.b.! (unbeleivable)
Hmm... Actually some of the more intelligent atheists (yes there are some intelligent ones... notice I didn't say WISE atheists) are a bit alarmed about the recent decline in the popularity of Christianity.

To put it simply, Christians make good neighbors. They may be atheists, but they sure do like for other people to be Christians.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hmm... Actually some of the more intelligent atheists (yes there are some intelligent ones... notice I didn't say WISE atheists) are a bit alarmed about the recent decline in the popularity of Christianity.

To put it simply, Christians make good neighbors. They may be atheists, but they sure do like for other people to be Christians.
I believe you have just unveiled, revealed that is, the reason for some apparent non-believers actually BEING believers unbeknownst to themselves.

This one has always kept me stymied, thank you and God bless you.