What would you do ????

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
hey everybody here is a question that i have come across and in talking to people (friends, family, strangers) it brought out good conversations and laughs.

here's the situation

you work at a job that does not allow the people you are caring for to give you money or gifts as a thank you (holidays, birthday, just because, etc..) and( if you receive it at work you could possibly lose your job )but a family members see how you take care of their loved one, and mails you a card with money in it and says how they love you and appreciate you....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

I hope to get a lot of responses
:eek:

Last edited:

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm assuming the job is as a paid caretaker..? Given that scenario, I would return it, explaining the prohibition against accepting gifts and that it could get you in trouble or fired, and if they loved you like they said they wouldn't want to see you fired or in trouble over it. If they insist on giving it 'under the table', I'd use it for something they need or donate it to charity in their name.

I used to come across a similar experience. As a firefighter people would often offer us gratuities. Some would take them, others even demand them (used to embarrass the heck out of me when a certain captain would go to McDonalds for his free lunches). I've accepted food and drink on a fireline, but otherwise if they forced something upon me the last thing I'd do before we left was lay a few dollars down.

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
when talking to people my response was that i would get a thank you card for them and mail it back , letting them know i appreciated what they did and how they thought of me

also i would give it back because not being sure if that is a violation because of a family member mailing it to you , i would still give it back because it's not worth your losing your job

although the thought of getting something for them would be nice , i think i would still mail it back

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I would ask this question of a superior, preferably in writing...
and just do whatever they tell you.

This is a work related issue, so you need to stick to protocol, whatever that is.
It isn't worth getting fired over.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
They mailed it to you? As in to your house?

G

Graybeard

What if it is an anonymous gift....what then?

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
maxwel that's a good point and i was sort of surprised at how many people would be willing to risk possibly losing their job

DuchessAimee yes that's what made this such a good question to come up with

when talking with friends , family or just people in a group or individual conversations i love to do what if questions

Thanks

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
Greybeard that's a good question ,

Thanks i'm going to talk to some of my family/ friends later and bring that question up because that changes things and it gives you something to think about

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
This actually has come up -

I work with developmentally disabled adults. The mother of one of the men on my caseload has given either $100 cash or $50-$100 dolllars in gift certificates during the holiday season.

She mailed them to our office. The boss told us to enjoy them.

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
CatHerder what a great boss to realize you and your coworkers are doing a wonderful job, that someone would want to show their appreciation for what you do

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
What if it is an anonymous gift....what then?
Graybeard , if it was an anonymous gift everyone that i talked to says the same thing they would keep the money

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Take the money and run..

but that's just me.

G

Graybeard

Another way is for all donations to be pooled and have a staff get-together at year end...
we used to get hampers and stuff but the officers would keep them for themselves!