What's the thing that will convince you he/she is "the one"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
What's the thing that will convince you that he/she is "the one"?

Some christians say that they pray that God will bring "the right one" into their life so that they won't marry someone wrong for them, so my question is...

How will you know that he/she is the right one?

NOTE: Please don't just say that he/she "puts God first". That's too vague. Please be specific as to what action/s they must take to convince you that they put God first.

I

Ice00Man

That my friend is a difficult question.

You can read all the worlds A - Z plans to get the right one.

I got married with the idea that - O I'm 25 , i think it is time - and also married the first girl on my path. What a major mistake.

After my divorce i got in a relationship with the idea that everything that was missing in my marriage i will get in this relationship. WOW was i wrong.

Now after all my mistakes - is when the first time I'm prepared to do it God's way.

I will know when the girl i meet will fulfill me , fill the gaps of my life. She will definitely have the heart to take Christ to bikers. be Prepared to walk with Jesus and me.

but that's me ;)

S

Smudge

You know I'm not entirely sure as I haven't found a guy I would like to date in a very long time.

Here's some things that I believe will clue me in;

He has a lot of awesome things to say during Bible Study, he makes things make sense.
He is respectful of me yet pushes me to grow in the right way, some guys push me too hard or don't push at all.
He only has eyes for me and he loves me so much that he accepts me as I am.
He is unbelievably patient.
He reminds me of my father.

This is only a guess, and I don't think that I personally would fall completely in love with a stranger so this will be someone I'm either dating or am really good friends with.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
It would have to be someone I've known for a long while, someone I've dated before, or someone willing to burn the friendship bridge to live on relationship island. They would have to chase me back, not just accepting my attention but reciprocate interest.

There is something else but, it is not something I am willing to put on here. It has to do with valuing the part of me that I value most.

K

keep_on_smiling

I will know that he is the one when: It will be a feeling that I have yet to experience. It will be when the Lord puts that peace within my heart that he is the person I'm to spend the rest of my life with. There will be no question as to whether we are right for one another. I will just know and be secure in how I feel for him and how he feels for me. :)

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
We should form the habit of seeking God's guidance concerning little decisions we make in life and willing to follow His will. When we see God's faithfulness in guiding us through those little decisions we will trust in Him with big decisions like a future spouse.

I will know that he is the right person because:
1. He will have an uncompromising love for God.
2. Have a humble spirit.
3. He will have virtues of a man from God. God has promised that if we trust in Him we will never be disappointed.
4. We will be in agreement concerning certain issues.
5. A man that reminds me of my dad. My father treats my mom like a queen; they honor their marriage vows and stick together through thick and thin. I desire such a relationship.

I always pray to God to make it crystal clear as to who the person is. I don't want to have any hint of doubt and I trust that the Lord, the Good Shepherd, will not lead me astray.

I've heard testimonies of people who said that God revealed to them their spouse through dreams and visions and inner peace and conviction in their hearts. Satan can try to counterfeit but like the scripture says, "My sheep hear my voice and follow me" "and a stranger will they not follow...for they know not the voice of strangers", a believer will only recognize God's voice.

Jul 25, 2012
Her words and truth will squeeze my heart into changing.

A

arwen7

What's the thing that will convince you that he/she is "the one"?

Some christians say that they pray that God will bring "the right one" into their life so that they won't marry someone wrong for them, so my question is...

How will you know that he/she is the right one?

NOTE: Please don't just say that he/she "puts God first". That's too vague. Please be specific as to what action/s they must take to convince you that they put God first.
Good question! It will be a feeling for me and knowing if the chemistry between us is right to take it to the next level. Also, the feeling of companionship and that our values are similar.

N

nw2u

There is no "one". I had my "one". When we got married after knowing each other for two years, I was "the best thing that ever happened to her". She told all her friends how great I was. She decided I wasn't her "one", after eight and a half years of knowing each other.

Love is a decision. You have to decide you are going to love someone. Don't expect to get what you thought. You will be wrong. You must always know that it could end today. Keep that in mind. If your partner wants to be a part of your life, they will. If not, don't let it bother you like I am. Live for yourself and do what Jesus said. It is the best way. It is too late for me. I am bitter and hatred has consumed me. All I can do is hope God will have mercy and stop this charade of a life.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
4 01 Is there a such a thing called a Soul Mate - YouTube

That said, I do believe there are many issues, aspects, ext. to this concept.

I used to have long laundry lists of what I look for in a woman. You know what? I found them, and it didn't work out.

This could be due to many things, but one in particular was due to (in my experience and understanding) God's prompting. I know this doesn't sit well with most people, but please bear with me. It was actually the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

So, that said...There are qualities, characteristics, and levels of people in-so-much-as their comparison to you and others. Am I saying people are better or worse than other people? No. Am I saying we are different, in different places, at different levels of maturity, spirituality, ext... Yes. There are such things as good and bad people, right and wrong choices, wise and foolish thinking, beneficial and harmful action...I hope you see where I'm going here. =)

That said, there are examples of where God called someone to a relationship. One would be Hosea. He was called to marry a prostitute. (Not past, but practicing.) Is this a Holy thing? For his obedience to God, yes; as a general principle, I would like to say not. God doesn't (in general) call everyone to find a person who will be "bad" for them. (This, of course, as everything, is arguable...)

He also calls people to singleness. (FE: Paul...) Now, apart from all that...the rest of us tend to look for a mate. (Please, before you get into and 'Adam and Eve' chat with me on this....just wanted to point out...there are two separate writers/sources in Genesis. They have somewhat conflicting viewpoints of creation. There are different beliefs when it comes to scripture which are commonly known as the debate or stance of 'inerrancy', and I fall in the middle of that line. I do not fully take the Bible literally, nor do I fully take it symbolically. I believe it, as most things in life, is a mixture. So, let me point that out first, and now if you want to talk about Adam and Eve, I'll be happy to speak with you.)

Goodness, well, I, as Mark Gungor, do not believe in 'soul mates'; however, there are those I believe God ordains to be together. There are those I believe God does not intend to be together. There are other cases of relationships (and otherwise) where it's our choice, and not necessarily a Divine Plan set by The ALMIGHTY. (At this point, some are possibly calling me things like a hypocrite, heretic, or heathen, but I still love ya! ^_^)

So, that said, how do you know the difference? Well, as most things in life, it's not a clear-cut answer. I pray, and try to diligently. I think, study, experience, talk with people, question...I do the very best I can to find a balance between my faith, understanding, experience, feelings, wisdom, knowledge, and every other thing that is a part of me and God's creation. If I feel, understand, am prompted toward God's approval, then I move forward.

Later on, I find out if I was wrong. Sometimes I was not. Sometimes I was. It's part of the difficulty of life. So, with all that, sometimes God has spoken to me (literally). Sometimes He catches my attention through promptings (sort of like feelings, but different), words of others, scripture, or a caution in my spirit.

All this to say, we do the best we can. There's no 'sure-fire' method or general experience. Love God with everything. Love others with everything. As you are out there and find someone, if they love God and others with everything like you...then ask God to see if you can both love together.

Two words from experience, though...

Not hearing a 'no' (as in things feel right, seem right, are all working out, but nothing on a spiritual level) from God is not the same as hearing a 'yes'. Hard lesson. Trust me.

Second, we're all broken. We all have 'stuff'. We're all different. Now, find someone who (if in God's plan) can love and be with you in spite of all that, and the same is true for you with them...and that's really all there is to it. There will be romance, but not this over-romantic dream-world. Life is not that. There are dreams. It is romantic, but reality is what's real. Real people. Real love. Real struggles. It's loving commitment...sometimes ecstasy...sometimes misery...just as with Christ. All the same, if it's in 'the proverbial cards' for you, then go for it! We only get one life.

I hope this was helpful, and thank you for posting!

Last edited:

clee356

Apr 5, 2011
When my fiance told me he respected my physical boundaries(still does) and started praying for our self-control. That's when I knew he was the one. There's other factors also, but this was the clincher for me because I realized I had a rare man of God in my life. :)

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I cannot answer this. All I can say is if I can go an hour without wanting a punch a guy due to their own stupidity they might be marriage material.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Although I have a short "list" of qualities that I will not budge on and a short list of qualities that are preferences, there are probably hundreds of women that would fulfill that list. I really don't know that I have a way of knowing the "she" is "the one" by predetermined criteria other than knowing that my love for her will inspire me to become more than I am.

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
Uhmm..... If he would court my entire family! hahaha. jk! Hmm.... this one is a tough a question. I guess the first priority is whether if she or he is a christian?

2 Cor.6:14-16 says, “Do not be bound together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?”

As Christians,we ought to learnl over and over that we must wait for God's perfect timing. He is the One who provides our needs. It's not an easy lesson for any of us. Sometimes God answers us in delay because He has better plans for us. He does not intend to torture you! I know it can seem as if God is leaving you hanging there when you eagerly want nothing more than to get happily married and settle down. Be honest with God and tell Him your desires to get married. Don' be impatient and wander away from God in your attempt to find someone to marry.

Don't rush in getting married. Make sure you know yourself and the your partner well enough to be certain that you are perfect match for each other and ready for a lifetime relationship. Lastly, the most important thing is to make Jesus Christ the center of your relationship. When TWO believers come together with their hearts committed to Christ.. YOU both turn into a POWER COUPLE.

N

nw2u

Although I have a short "list" of qualities that I will not budge on and a short list of qualities that are preferences, there are probably hundreds of women that would fulfill that list. I really don't know that I have a way of knowing the "she" is "the one" by predetermined criteria other than knowing that my love for her will inspire me to become more than I am.
And that's the way it was for me.

J

Jullianna

When all of the answers to these questions are "yes":

Do I admire and respect him?
Do I trust him and his relationship with God enough to submit to his leadership for a lifetime?
Do I believe, without question, that he loves me for who I am and not for who he wants me to be?
When something amazing happens, is it not real until I get to share it with him?
Do I trust him with my heart and is it too late not to?

O

oracle2world

Our first date I knew my future wife was "the one". Immediately. (I had gone out with many girls already, but this was the first time I felt this towards one.) That phrase "falling in love"? That is really true.

If you have doubts about whether they are the right person, they are not.

The biggest decisions are like this. No amount of rational analytical thinking, or advice from others can provide you the answer. The answer must come from within and you will immediately know it is the right one.

So it is with faith. It is pretty easy to recognize in others, and there are no specific actions one way or another that tell you that. You just know.

In short, if you are asking if this person is the right one, just asking the question means they are not. Sorry if that offends anyone.

C

Chrissy77

That my friend is a difficult question.

Now after all my mistakes - is when the first time I'm prepared to do it God's way.

I will know when the girl i meet will fulfill me , fill the gaps of my life. She will definitely have the heart to take Christ to bikers. be Prepared to walk with Jesus and me.

but that's me ;)
I couldn't have said it better myself. It is all about doing it God's way! A man and woman should "compliment" each other. Not in the sense of hey sweetie you look nice today but as in they should be strong where the other is weak. We have all made mistakes choosing the "right one" at one time or another but those were OUR mistakes not God's. God knows what he is doing if we will just take the time to stop and listen to what he has to say.:)

C

Chrissy77

There is no "one". I had my "one". When we got married after knowing each other for two years, I was "the best thing that ever happened to her". She told all her friends how great I was. She decided I wasn't her "one", after eight and a half years of knowing each other.

Love is a decision. You have to decide you are going to love someone. Don't expect to get what you thought. You will be wrong. You must always know that it could end today. Keep that in mind. If your partner wants to be a part of your life, they will. If not, don't let it bother you like I am. Live for yourself and do what Jesus said. It is the best way. It is too late for me. I am bitter and hatred has consumed me. All I can do is hope God will have mercy and stop this charade of a life.

I am sorry for your bitterness. We can say "Did we love enough?". I asked my family one time how do you ever get to the point of trusting someone enough to fall in love again. My mother said that when you meet that special someone they will break down those walls you have constructed so high and you will be able to love again. I know I could never settle for ever being anything but ever completely in love with someone. It is never "too late". Not for life and not for love!! I pray you find a peace that passes understanding.