What's your breath prayer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

Lately my pastor has been talking to me about breath prayers. There was a man who made it his goal to think about God every minute. Breath prayers is one way to accomplish this. Does anyone have a breath prayer they use? Some examples I've heard:
Come lord Jesus
Father in heaven
Listen
Surrender
Peace
Sovereign Lord

Feb 11, 2012
Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
Psa 139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Jud 1:21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

F

Flutteraritypiejackspark

I don't use breath prayers themselves, but I do pray randomly in longer phrases throughout the day whenever I feel the need.

This seems really helpful though! And I think it could help me feel better. I'd like to use the phrase "Allow the warmth" for a breath prayer.

I

Indubitably

A lot of people do this and are unaware they are saying 'breath prayers'. I've been doing this for years. I don't do it once a minute, but I've found when I'm alone, I do it often. I do it in between activites. I do it during activities, even in church. It's never part of my thought process, it just comes out.

I love it because it keeps me close to the Lord and keeps my thoughts on Him!

My breath prayer is a continuous worship: "PRAISE YOU LORD!"

J

Jordache

This is true. I kept trying to figure one out and when I couldn't find one I stopped. Lo and behold, a few months later it just started coming out.

U

Ugly

Never heard of it before.

Sep 8, 2012
Just speak to Him in the spirit.
With songs and whatnot, (making melody in your heart to the Lord).
Paul tells us to do this.
Eventually He will tell you to shutup-('Holdest thou thy peace'), so He can tell you something.

I

Indubitably

Well Rick, it's lind of like a combined praise and prayer. I don't think He'll say hold your peace, since he already said, "pray without ceasing". Just a thought!

C

chuinchoy

Never heard of it before, sister. can you share more?

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Lately my pastor has been talking to me about breath prayers. There was a man who made it his goal to think about God every minute. Breath prayers is one way to accomplish this. Does anyone have a breath prayer they use? Some examples I've heard:
Come lord Jesus
Father in heaven
Listen
Surrender
Peace
Sovereign Lord
Lord mercy and compassion

Sep 8, 2012
Mine is Jesus.
If I need help: "help me Jesus"
If I am feeling proud or arrogant: "forgive me Jesus"
If I am scared: "give me strength Lord Jesus"
All my prayers are followed with: "I thank you Father".
Is that a breath prayer? - "Thank you Jesus, glory to you Lord God"
Is that it? If it is I think I got it.

L

libertygirl

Come lord Jesus
Father in heaven
Listen
Surrender
Peace
Sovereign Lord
My breath prayer:

"Jesus"

and

"Holy Spirit, come"

Aug 15, 2009
Note this site:
Breath Prayer—Not Biblical Prayer

Short prayers are very common. But they should not be compared to breath prayer. I have difficulty believing anything that Rick Warren has anything to do with. He is a Universalist.

U

Ugly

Wow, reminds me of the chanting done in eastern mysticism religions. Think i shall be avoiding this. And if Rick Warren backs it, all the more reason to avoid it. He and Oprah can go spread their false gospel somewhere else. Or his Chrislam teachings.

J

Jordache

No it's not mysticism. It's simply a method of remembering God in simple ways moreoften. It's part of praying without ceasing. It's a way of consistently bringing our mind back to whatever truth The Lord has brought you to for a season. My pastor prayed about what his would be and the Lord told him it was a season for him to learn to listen better. Thus throughout the day he whispers "I'm listening."
As I prayed about mine, in all my type a glory I had found several very practical and sensible words and phrases, but none of them quite felt right. One day as I was riding the bus to work, we came upon some heavy traffic. In my spirit I sensed something was wrong. I never saw anything except for a few cones queen we finally passed it. But as we were waiting the word "Jesus" sort of spontaneously leaped out of my mouth. All the people stared at me on the bus and I blushed. "It was the only thing I could think to say." However it was a prayer more than an exclamation. After that time I found myself either outloud or in my head saying "Jesus" as I realized I needed Him.
Jesus repeated multiple times "...not my will but yours, Lord". That is a breath prayer.

I understand that certain people have their issues with Rick Warren though I do think its far fetched to lump him with Oprah. However, this is not mysticism, Rixk Warren, or Oprah based. It actually came from hesychastic prayer and was modeled after the psalms where one phrases was repeated to remind you of an entire psalm. The most well know breath prayer is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

U

Ugly

No it's not mysticism. It's simply a method of remembering God in simple ways moreoften. It's part of praying without ceasing. It's a way of consistently bringing our mind back to whatever truth The Lord has brought you to for a season. My pastor prayed about what his would be and the Lord told him it was a season for him to learn to listen better. Thus throughout the day he whispers "I'm listening."
As I prayed about mine, in all my type a glory I had found several very practical and sensible words and phrases, but none of them quite felt right. One day as I was riding the bus to work, we came upon some heavy traffic. In my spirit I sensed something was wrong. I never saw anything except for a few cones queen we finally passed it. But as we were waiting the word "Jesus" sort of spontaneously leaped out of my mouth. All the people stared at me on the bus and I blushed. "It was the only thing I could think to say." However it was a prayer more than an exclamation. After that time I found myself either outloud or in my head saying "Jesus" as I realized I needed Him.
Jesus repeated multiple times "...not my will but yours, Lord". That is a breath prayer.

I understand that certain people have their issues with Rick Warren though I do think its far fetched to lump him with Oprah. However, this is not mysticism, Rixk Warren, or Oprah based. It actually came from hesychastic prayer and was modeled after the psalms where one phrases was repeated to remind you of an entire psalm. The most well know breath prayer is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Well, i see no biblical basis for it, and as i stated, it reminds me of a eastern chant, so that's what i'm sticking with.

And seriously? Not 'lumping' Warren and Oprah? Its pretty easy to do when she has her 'Lifeclasses' series, which are mostly new age self help guru's .. and Rick Warren.